Threshold problem in photoshop

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited April 22, 2015 in Finishing School
Hi again..
Does anyone else have this problem? Trying to find neutral gray using fill with 50% gray and difference and then using threshold to find the first black spot with the slider? only my threshold which works quite normally in all other cases just doesn't work doing this.. I've attached a screen shot. I have CS5 Win 7 and everything else works perfectly.The image is supposed to turn all white and slide to the right for first black area but doesn't.. hmmm Any clues??:dunno:scratch

i-FWQHK6v-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 22, 2015
    headscratch.gif That's odd. I've tried to recreate what I think I'm seeing, but was unable to see any color after adding the threshold layer. There are some tiny icons on the layer palette that I can't make out. Could you try it again and post a screen shot with the whole history listing visible? Might help ne_nau.gif.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    headscratch.gif That's odd. I've tried to recreate what I think I'm seeing, but was unable to see any color after adding the threshold layer. There are some tiny icons on the layer palette that I can't make out. Could you try it again and post a screen shot with the whole history listing visible? Might help ne_nau.gif.
    Hi Richard, thanks for responding. Here is another screen shot. The slider on threshold is all the way to the left .. the image should be all white... I'm looking to slide to the right and pick up the first spot of black which is actually neutral gray. All the tutorials I've looked at all say the same thing.. it's very weird. Threshold works in all other cases, I use it a lot to find black and white points. The fill layer is 50% gray by the way then change blend mode to difference...thanks.
    Lynn

i-87z4M7k-X3.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 22, 2015
    I think I know what the problem is, Lynn. The title of the background copy layer is underlined, which means that it was used as a clipping mask when you created the threshold layer. Uncheck that box when you create the threshold layer, or even easier, just use the create new adjustment layer button on the layers palette. If you still get the same problem, you may have a corrupt preferences file, which you will have to reset.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    I think I know what the problem is, Lynn. The title of the background copy layer is underlined, which means that it was used as a clipping mask when you created the threshold layer. Uncheck that box when you create the threshold layer, or even easier, just use the create new adjustment layer button on the layers palette. If you still get the same problem, you may have a corrupt preferences file, which you will have to reset.

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap Oh yeay!!! THANK YOU... it's been driving me nuts..fixed it :ivarwings.gif