Arizona, Utah Photo Trip - Advice Needed

MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm planning another motorcycle trip through Arizona and Utah, Oct 1st-9th. In the past, my focus was more about the ride and less about photography. This time it's reversed.:thumb I would like opinions on each location, and if I'm allowing enough time at each. I know I could spend a week at each park hiking around, but I won't have that luxury.

Antelope Pass - I have no idea how large this area is to explore, but I was thinking 3-4 hours. I believe it starts as a tour, then you're on your own.
Horseshoe Bend - Page, AZ. I'm estimating 1-2 hours.
Zion NP - I've read several post that this is a difficult location to photograph. I plan to spend the night, then shot until about noon.
Bryce NP - Based on the posts I've seen, this is where I will spend most of my time. I've planned one full day to shoot.
Natural Bridges National Monument - 4-hours total.
Canyonlands NP - Again, one full day.

I'll also be stopping at the North and South Rims of the Grand Caynon.

One of the biggest challenges I have being on a bike is the inability to shoot prior to sunrise or after sunset. We plan to camp as much as possible this trip to allow more opportunity to capture those golden hour photos. But riding at night is a dangerous proposition in some of these locations.

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, if you have some shots you want to share that would be great as well.

Dale

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Dale, what are your planning to ride? Asphalt or gravel capable?

What photo equipment will you have with you? A good tripod will be very helpful, but they are hard to manage on a bike.

Antelope Canyon, outside of Page Arizona can be lots of fun. It can be crowded, very dusty, with sand in the air. To get good light columns requires some knowledge of where the sun is at what time of day and varies some by seasons as well. You can go with a vendor in Page, or you can just show up at Antelope and pay the Navaho to let you in, if they are not over booked.

Do NOT plan on changing lenses in the Canyon. You might want a plastic bag to cover your camera - fine talc like sand is everywhere and may fall on you from above the entire time you are in the canyon. Four hours around noon is probably a good place to start. Listen to the Navaho guides - they have a lot of experience and some of them have very good pictures to boot.

Shot with a 10D several years ago on my first trip to Antelope

85825451_9KUeu-L.jpg

Horseshoe Bend - allow about 2-3 hours beginning 45 minutes prior to sunrise. The hike from the parking lot to the rim will take 10-15 minutes in the dark. Bring a flashlight.

If you are there more than an hour after sunrise, you probably should wait until sunset or next morning. Bring a tripod and a graduated ND filter - you'll need them

4468152_hXsPe-L.jpg

Zion is a very large area - a very wide angle lens will be of great use. You can spend days hiking and exploring Zion. Bryce is much smaller and easier to explore. No ropes or waterproof boots needed for Bryce as much. You will want a tripod for both. I found Zion prettier and more fun to shoot than Bryce, which was more of a "drive" by kind of natural park.

Zion - Looking across to Angel's Landing. You will not want to wear motorcycle boots up to Angel's Landing......but it is a nice hike with a great view.

74126993_SRFWT-L.jpg

A typical view of Bryce
    73917006_nctxM-L.jpg

Natural Bridges is well worth a full day - there are several shorter hikes that take an hour or two to get down away from the roadway. It is the more "out of the way" National Park - there is no town really close by. I can't find a typical Natural Bridges shot quickly.

Canyonlands is a very large area that you can spend days or weeks at along with Arches and Dead Horse State Park. Do not skip Arches or Dead Horse, both are worth experiencing.

Do not miss Monument Valley - it is a trip. Go late in the afternoon if you cannot make sunrise and for sunrise you will have to hire a Navaho guide. You can get your Forest Gump shot riding to Monument Valley from the east
    164746554_oSTCD-L.jpg

If you are comfortable in riding in some gravel, you must ride up Mokey Dugway north of Garden of the Gods. Just google Mokey Dugway and you will find it - it is kind of a right of passage for motorcycle adventure tourers. Do not ride this road if heights or switch back turns make you uncomfortable. The view from Muley Point at the top of Mokey Dugway is worth the trip - just take the left turn at the top of Mokey Dugway.

The north and south rim of Grand Canyon - WOW! - that almost certainly is enough to keep most folks busy for several weeks by themselves. I rode the north Rim by bicycle several years ago and only covered abut 80 miles in 6 days. The north Rim is much more attractive, and less inundated with tour buses. Cooler too in the summer time, since it is about 1500 feet higher.

4434929_7fCgi-L.jpg

Take a wide angle lens. Take a good tripod ( and use it ) and a graduated ND filter if you can. One of the most challenging things to deal with in shooting large landscapes in the southwest is the extreme variation in lighting between sunlit areas and dark shade - pray for a nice even overcast day, rather than the typical bright blue sky. It helps deal with the lighting intensity variations.

I love riding and shooting pictures in the Southwest whether on 2 wheels or 4 wheels
    Hagerman Pass Colorado
    875295_Unaam-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Pathfinder,

First, thank you very much for the detailed response and photo's. Your response is exactly what I was looking for.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dale, what are your planning to ride? Asphalt or gravel capable?
    Asphalt. I have a 1200RT. I've thought about switching to the GS, but my RT fits like a glove.

Here's a photo of the bike in Badlands NP last year.
    192018669_qVjyE-M.jpg
    pathfinder wrote:
    What photo equipment will you have with you?
    I have a D300, 18-200mm, Sigma 10-20mm, 50mm 1.8, Manfrotto tripod and ball head (too heavy, but works great), SB-800, Cokin Z-Pro with Hi-Tech GND filters (.6, .9).
    pathfinder wrote:
    Do NOT plan on changing lenses in the Canyon. You might want a plastic bag to cover your camera - fine talc like sand is everywhere and may fall on you from above the entire time you are in the canyon. Four hours around noon is probably a good place to start. Listen to the Navaho guides - they have a lot of experience and some of them have very good pictures to boot.
    I've read this in several posts. Would you recommend the Sigma 10-20mm or my 18-200mm. I know the 18-200 is not the sharpest, but obviously more flexible.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Horseshoe Bend - allow about 2-3 hours beginning 45 minutes prior to sunrise.
    I'll be staying at the North Rim, so it would be quite a haul to make it by sunrise. I'll see about re-routing our trip to accomodate.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Zion is a very large area - a very wide angle lens will be of great use. You can spend days hiking and exploring Zion. Bryce is much smaller and easier to explore. No ropes or waterproof boots needed for Bryce as much. You will want a tripod for both. I found Zion prettier and more fun to shoot than Bryce, which was more of a "drive" by kind of natural park.
    Based on your reply, I should plan to spend at least a full day in Zion and Bryce.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Canyonlands is a very large area that you can spend days or weeks at along with Arches and Dead Horse State Park. Do not skip Arches or Dead Horse, both are worth experiencing.......Do not miss Monument Valley - it is a trip.
    Now your making this tough!! I visited Arches two years ago, prior to owning a DSLR. I loved it, but if I go there, I'll need two days. I thought I would explore Canyonlands instead. I'll read up on Dead Horse as well.
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you are comfortable in riding in some gravel, you must ride up Mokey Dugway north of Garden of the Gods.
    I'll save this for another trip. Especially if I trade in the RT!
    pathfinder wrote:
    I rode the north Rim by bicycle several years ago and only covered abut 80 miles in 6 days. The north Rim is much more attractive, and less inundated with tour buses.
    A bike!bowdown.gif I'd be the one on the side of the road with an oxygen mask on! I went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago, again with the P&S. Awesome place. I'll have two days only if I want to visit some of the other parks.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hagerman Pass Colorado
    875295_Unaam-M.jpg
    Nice Bike.

I really appreciate the information. I've got some decisions to make. I might be better served to break this trip up into two trips.

Thanks,
    Dale
    edited June 12, 2008
    Dale,

An RT is a great bike, but most would prefer to avoid much gravel with it. I think you can get it up Moley Dugway, it is mostly paved after a fashion, but it may have degraded since I was there last as well. The road to Muley Point, however, is dirt and sand so.....

For Antelope Canyon I would go with the 18-200. Just stop down three stops from wide open and it will be plenty sharp. Your exposures with be 5-25 seconds anyway, so stop down to your sharpest aperture which is typically 2-3 stops smaller than wide open. I think the 10-20 will be too wide. I used a 24-105 on a full frame DSLR the last time I was in Antelope.

If you want to go to Horseshoe Bend, get a room in Page, Az. Close to Antelope Canyon also. Lots of nice places to stay and it is only 15 minutes or so from town.

You could spend a week in Zion and only scratch the surface. Bryce can be seen more quickly. Unless you plan on hiking all the major trails at Bryce, I would think a full day and a half is more than enough.

You may skip Arches, but not Deadhorse. If you like rock art, take a drive down Potash road in Moab and watch the walls. - http://www.discovermoab.com/rockart.htm

You have still not mentioned Capital Reef and the Escalante Wilderness and Utah highway 16. Lots and lots of things to see in Arizona, Utah, and you have not even mentioned the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico.

Another one of my rides with my son on his KTM. I rode the Suzi

43082674_rc5k8-L.jpg

Take lots of water and have a great ride!!

edited June 13, 2008
    Thanks for the additional information. I think I'll plan to spend 2-days at Zion and Bryce. If we skip Arches (most likely), then I'll check out Deadhorse. We tried to drive through Capital Reef a few years ago, but torrential rains washed out the road and we had to bypass it. It's on our route this time. The same with Escalante Wilderness.

As with any vacation, you always want more time. The boss (uh..Wife) doesn't like to ride, so more than 10-days I get the look.:nono

I ride with my cousin. Here's a shot of us on Beartooth Hwy last year.
    192017579_tzGZk-M.jpg

Here's one of the road leading to this spot at the top.
    192017613_RD6vS-M.jpg

Thanks again for the information. I'll post some photo's when we get back.

Dale
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Did I miss how much time you have to explore? I'd suggest getting a Navajo guide, Fred Clee [sp?] for Monument Valley. Hard to find but a top notch guide plus you don't have to motor as he will have his suburban or truck to take you around. Pay for an all day tour too. he's a very nice fellow too. I wouldn't use any other guide. Maybe Marc Muench might help provide contact info.

Stay at Bryce and go for a sunrise at the end of the park overlooking the main park.

Don't forget other state parks nearby.

179290183_fniAF-L-2.jpg
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I have done some of those areas.

Zion isn't difficult to photograph at all, IMHO. There's lots of great areas to shoot. With only half a day, stick to the shorter hikes off the main valley tram. If you can, exit via the east entrance on Hwy 9, there are more neat areas out there & a short trail just at the east end of the tunnel. The half day kind of eliminates Scout's Lookout/Angel's Landing trail as that's most of a day (and believe the "Strenuous Hike" sign at the start of Angel's Landing if you do get up there).

Bryce is worth some time as well. Given enough time, do the Queen's Park trail at teh main ampitheater, Bristlecone Pine trail at the south end of the park, and Fairy Canyon starting just outside the park gates.

Canyonlands is huge & broken into three areas: Islands in the Sky at the north, Needles District in the south and the Maze in the middle. Ignore the Maze--that's for hard-core backcountry offroading. I spent a day each at the other two and had a full day. I also went to Arches while out there, staying in Moab as base. Canyonlands is a really remote park, so make sure to have plenty of water with you.

I agree that Monument Valley is a must-visit location on a Utah/Arizona loop. I went with the Keyah Hozhoni group (http://www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html) on the 2 1/2 hour tour and was really happy. Next time I'm out there, I'll probably try to have funds available for one of the more photo-centric tours they have.

All these places really warrant multiple visits. I've done that with Zion & Bryce and am still not bored with them.
  • The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I just got back from the Southwest!!
    Hey Dale,

Sounds like you'll have a good time on your trip...it is an amazing area to see. I just got back from all the places you named and a few more. I'm just going to tell you my thoughts, do with them as you wish...i don't want to tell you what to do!

My very favorite place for pictures on the trip was the Antelope Canyon in Page. AMAZING PHOTOS TO BE HAD THERE!! http://samswartz.smugmug.com/gallery/4933962_ikYPm#295016689_wRfEu

295547098_B4xkG-M.jpg

Next was Canyonlands only because of the good luck I had at Mesa Arch at sunrise....... http://samswartz.smugmug.com/gallery/2955210_RdQd4

2955210_RdQd4-M.jpg2955210_RdQd4-L.jpg296475371_ZaXP3-M-1.jpg

Zion was would have been at the top of the list if i would have had more time to spend there. The fall would be an AMAZING time to be there too!!

296967861_kkbTr-M.jpg

Bryce I was the most disappointed with. It was really only good shooting in the early early morning. during the day was crap and sunset was worthless....just go to bed early so you can get up in time for sunrise!!

298889632_vXgJU-M-1.jpg

Here is a link to all the shots from my trip......if you have any questions about when and where i took something just post a question and I’ll let you know!!

http://samswartz.smugmug.com/Sams%20Most%20Recent%20Images
    The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
    edited June 28, 2008
    Thanks for the replies The Wild Eye, Claudermilk, and DavidWeaver . Sorry for the slow response. I've been traveling to Germany and Mexico the past two weeks with no access to the internet. I plan to start finalizing my plans over the next few weeks. The biggest challenge is time. I may focus on fewer parks, and plan a return trip for the other parks.

I appreciate the additional details and recommendations.

Dale

P.S. Nice photo's. I will be fortunate to capture the same quality.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Time is definitely an issue, no matter how much you have as there is so much to shoot in the region. After a two week visit, I didn't get to hit everything I wanted by far. I've been to Zion & Bryce multiple times and still haven't gotten to everything I want to.
  • iChinchillabuttiChinchillabutt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    i could weep at the beautiful photos!

can i share a photo? i can laugh about this now :D but i could've cried then.
    the storm came quicker than expected :cry NEED to make another trip

this was my birthday (jan 2008) Grand Canyon @ Lookout Studio looking toward El Tovar Hotel. yes, the hotel is on that ridge.

324330135_32tVU-M.jpg
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    What great shots you all have... Love that last one!:D It kind of sums up my waking up vision!!!
    All I can add is to go to my website and click on "Archives" and pick what you want to see... They are not the greatest shots but more "documents" where we have been...
    Lower Antelope slot Canyon... the most beautiful "thing" I have seen in two years on the road. And you can stay as long as you want. The upper one is a Zoo and rush, rush, rush... + you have to fight the Pros that are aiming the guns at you and will not budge...
    Enjoy... Hi Pathfinder!
    Ara & Spirit

PS: beautiful and colorful Gooseneck by the way on 24 west of Capitol Reef...

320476208_jLMxx-L.jpg
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    bryce is really good for sunrise as others have pointed out...if you plan on something other than the typical overlook shot you will need to scout out your composition the day before....and all those trails are not "easy go lucky". i would suggest hiking all day with a notepad and water/food only during the day and go back for equipment for your sunset decided shots... and then out again before sunrise.

zion, well thats a tricky place to shoot because of the deepth of the canyon...morning/evening light does not get in there very early and leaves very fast before evening...midday light there just bites, so you see that is my opinion on difficultness of zion... and yes composing a shot is rather difficult imo too.

Patherfinders comp in zion is great. look for the trees in your comp at zion, i think its makes a big difference.

*one area you may want to see is snow canyon state park just west of st. george utah... near same conditions as zion but far smaller and very unique...

riding in the evening after sunset shoots can be a bugger...if it aint cows in the road it is rabbits or deer...i would say keep your speed way low in the evening.

lastly, that week is a big build up to the saint george marathon, every hotel room will be taken, and many camp grounds are too...so reserve now.
    Aaron Nelson
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    If you are going to Canyonlands I would definitely make the short journey to the LaSal mountains. They are just west of Moab. They are really an oasis - beautiful alpine mountains right off the redrock of Canyonlands. It is a spectacular place to go. Climb to the top of the peaks or to one of the ridges and see amazing distances across the redrock of Canyonlands. There are some good roads that take you right up to the base of the mountians. They climb to above a daunting 12,000 feet and are topped by white rocks. I would put that on my list. Not as well known, but actually one of my two favorite places in all of Utah (The San Rafael Swell is my other favorite place).
    I don't have any photos handy, but found one on Wikipedia:

800px-Mantilasalfromarches.jpg
    edited July 22, 2008
    I second the advice re; the Manti La Sal mountains east of Moab - very cool area, I wish to explore again this fall.

The San Rafael Swell along I-70 is another area that is a blast also... I will go through that on the way back to Escalante this fall as well.
    The little red dot, in the foreground center, is Nightingale's red parka.

263465867_kc7rm-L.jpg

edited August 11, 2008
    After a few days discussion with my cousin, we have to post-pone our trip this October. :cry A series of events have caused the delay. We've now targeted the trip for 2009. I really appreciate all the comments and photo's. I'll refer back to the site again when we're ready to reschedule.

Dale
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    well then, time it for wild flower season.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Bummer!!!... and I was going to suggest that the GS is a must!!!..
    Be well...
    Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...