Soft Proofing Question

Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited September 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I just want to make sure I'm on the right track... When I soft proof with the EZprints ICC, I usually have to drop down the midtones a tad since the ICC is making the shot a little brighter. Is the brighter appearance while soft proofing the EZprints ICC normal? In the past, using other printers, I don't remember having to make the shot darker, but usually lighter. I'm pretty sure I have the soft proofing set correctly and my monitor is callibrated. I know, different printers and paper, different icc and whatnot, but I just want to see if I'm not making a mistake somewhere.

Thanks,

Mike.

www.mekphotography.com

Also, for some reason, when I upload a picture, it displaying darker in the smugmug display that it was in photoshop. Any ideas with that one? I'm converting to sRGB and all.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Hi Mike, have you seen this:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524

just checking.
  • Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mike, have you seen this:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524

just checking.

yeah, I followed that and I have the right settings, but to me, it seems a little different to have to darken an image for printing rather than bring up the brightness. Let me run you through my workflow:

Using calibrated monitor and CS3, working Color settings to North American Prepress 2. Capture and work in aRGB.

1: open with ACR and adjust as nescessary
    2: open adjusted raw in photoshop
    3: make nescessary adjustments/enhancements to where what I see is what I want
    4: save psd master copy
    5: turn on the soft proof for exprints icc using the settings listed in the above link
    6: make curves adjustment layer and adjust image to original likeness while viewing proof****** this is where I have to drop the midtones to match the non-proofed version*******
    7: turn off view proof
    8: flaten layers
    9: unsharp mask
    10: Convert profile from aRGB to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 using ACE engine, Perceptual, black point unchecked.
    11: image mode to 8bit
    12: Save as JPEG level 11 or 12 with imbedded sRGB profile.
    13: upload to smugmug