Options

A Couple Of Real Beauties

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 13, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
This first jewel is a 1933 MG ( Morris Garages ) model J2. It is one of approximately 2000 made during its production run. The J2 model is considered to be the first real sports car MG made. The following years saw the introduction of the ' P ' type MG and the iconic ' T ' series.

A typical J2 model could run about 80 mph....had an 850 cc engine. The car shown here was somewhat faster. That bulbous bodywork located right under the headlights houses a roots type supercharger. That rare feature no doubt gave this car some heightened performance.

Notice the engine bay on this car. It's the only car I've ever seen wherein the firewall is moved forward, away from the rest of the bodywork. Looking behind the firewall, you can see directly into the passenger area....very unusual. Later model MG's had a more traditional treatment in that area.

My oldest brother went off to college in a new 1952 MG TD. We had a ton of fun in that thing. Happily, my brother survived college.....sadly, the MG didn't.

amelia%202013%20251-X3.jpg

amelia%202013%20252-X3.jpg

This stunner is a 1932 Duesenberg model SJ. It is most unusual in that it was constructed from major elements that had seen previous applications....the frame came from a limousine model, the engine came out of a sedan. As with many of these cars, the bodywork was a custom design. An outfit named Weyann LaGrande provided this one. This car has received the distinguished Bill Mitchell Award for design excellence.

Aside from its many custom features, this is the only Duesenberg known to have no external exhaust system exiting from the engine bay.

The early morning sun, rising off the ocean and settling on a field of cars like this....damn, it doesn't get any better than this.

amelia%202013%20173-X3.jpg

amelia%202013%20171-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Once again,

Amazing autos and back stories, and as always, captured well.

Thanks for posting pard 👍
    Randy
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Certainly would love to drive either one, perhaps the MG even more so. Thanks for posting.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Car is beautiful but you captured is perfectly! Bravo on last shot Tom!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Once again,

Amazing autos and back stories, and as always, captured well.

Thanks for posting pard ��

Yo pard,

I know that you share my affinity for cars of this ilk. A great day is coming when we'll be sharing the experiences of such a fabulous show. You, Teresa, and 'Tater are off on your first real escapade in the new motor home. Enjoy yourselves, stay safe, and please treat us to some of your superb photography.

See you buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    Certainly would love to drive either one, perhaps the MG even more so. Thanks for posting.

I rather suspect, Phil, that these two cars offer a wildly different driving experience....one being bathed in a lap of luxury and the other providing for a much more visceral time behind the wheel. I'd leap at driving either one but, like you, I might prefer to give the MG a go.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Car is beautiful but you captured is perfectly! Bravo on last shot Tom!clap.gif

Thanks for the visit, Taz, and for your continued support. You, at one time, indicated that you might take a shot at shooting a few cars. I'd sure like to see you turn your pronounced skills in that direction every now and then. The more car shooters, the better.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Great cars and pics too!
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Excellent photos of a couple of beautiful cars, Tom - and as always, I appreciate the history lesson as well.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Great cars and pics too!

Thanks, guy. Take care of yourself.

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    Excellent photos of a couple of beautiful cars, Tom - and as always, I appreciate the history lesson as well.

It's easy, isn't it, John, to appreciate the style and character some of these grand old cars have. Those are two attributes that, regrettably, are absent in a lot of the stuff today.

Thanks for the comments.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2014
    I could ride all day in the Duesenberg. A beautiful car - right color too thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I could ride all day in the Duesenberg. A beautiful car - right color too thumb.gif

Hi Mary,

I guess you and John are thawed out by now. Don't fret, though. The snow will be back before you know it and things will return to normal for you guys. :D

Why did I know that the red " Duesy " would light your fire? It lights mine too. We could get most of our crowd in that thing....it's huge.

Take care....and fire up that camera of yours,

Tom
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Howdy Tom (Yep I'm still Kick'in)
    As usual these images are wonderful. Love Red automobiles! I bought a 1977 MG Midget (red) when I had my first of several "mid-life crises" :D What a fun car that was.

jack

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Was the force induction on the MG an option from the factory or did the owner make that change? The FW mod is VERY odd indeed.

Very cool pictures! (but the stories make them!)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Tom (Yep I'm still Kick'in)
    As usual these images are wonderful. Love Red automobiles! I bought a 1977 MG Midget (red) when I had my first of several "mid-life crises" :D What a fun car that was.

jack

Wouldn't you love to have another car with the character and fun that the Midget provided you?

As noted elsewhere, I'm thrilled to see you back. We'll all benefit from your input.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2014
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Was the force induction on the MG an option from the factory or did the owner make that change? The FW mod is VERY odd indeed.

Very cool pictures! (but the stories make them!)

It's great to hear from you, Wally. Thanks for the visit.

I never caught the owner of this J2 sitting with his car. The owner of the black MG....shown in the background of the second shot....was very knowledgeable about these cars and said that the supercharger on the J2 was, in fact, a very rare option offered by the factory. It is certainly an interesting car.

Tom