engagement photos for family

aaroncaaronc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited July 12, 2012 in Weddings
My sister-in-law recently got engaged so I offered them an engagement photo session as a gift. Keep in mind, I'm amateur who most takes cityscape/landscape photos and have virtually no experience photographing people really.

We spent a morning a couple of weeks ago walking around the DUMBO neighborhood in Brooklyn and stopped at several spots for pics (between 8:30 and 9:30 am). I was just shooting with my d40 and 35mm lens. I did a bit of postp on them adjusting some elements and removing some blemishes and out of place hair.

I'm just posting the ones that they picked out at their favs. I think I would have picked some others, but they liked this assortment. Thought I'd share since this was my first go-around with something like this. Not sure if I'll get another chance to do something like this, but definitely feel like looking at them after the fact I have ideas for how to get a better collection the next time.

cheers,
Aaron

Bench%20B%26W%20-%20Laugh.jpg

Bench%20B%26W.jpg

Bench%20Color%20-%20Smile.jpg

Bk%20Bridge%20Backdrop%20holding%20hands.jpg

BkBridge%20Backdrop.jpg

Bridge%20Holding%20Hands.jpg

Gaffiti%20Wall.jpg

Christina%20Portrait.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    I ma digging 2 and 7. The park shots could do with some pp love!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    7 for me. Man, I wish we had something like this in my area...
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    I like 2, 4, 7
  • aaroncaaronc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    I ma digging 2 and 7. The park shots could do with some pp love!

Qarik, suggestions for the Park shots?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    take #6 fro example. The couple has blue color cast cast on them due to the blue skies..warm them up a touch. Also expose the image such that the couple is lit correctly..not the BG. The shot is not ideal right now becasue the background is on the verge of oversexposed but the subjects are underexposed. I think you could up the exposure 2/3 of stop to expose the couple correctly and then bring back the high lights somehow on the background through a mix of universal and local adjustments..and then add a vignette.

#5 you expose it 2/3 of stop and then add a vignette as well just to lead the eyes
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • aaroncaaronc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    take #6 fro example. The couple has blue color cast cast on them due to the blue skies..warm them up a touch. Also expose the image such that the couple is lit correctly..not the BG. The shot is not ideal right now becasue the background is on the verge of oversexposed but the subjects are underexposed. I think you could up the exposure 2/3 of stop to expose the couple correctly and then bring back the high lights somehow on the background through a mix of universal and local adjustments..and then add a vignette.

#5 you expose it 2/3 of stop and then add a vignette as well just to lead the eyes

Qarik, thanks for the feedback. much appreciated.