Packages

MarilynCMarilynC Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited July 8, 2012 in Weddings
What/how many packages do you offer for weddings? I need to create a package and not sure what all to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012
    If you decide to create packages, the most important thing you can do is to make them simple to understand, and simple to choose. The package should be there to eliminate / combat indecision, NOT to create more confusion and options.

Personally, I don't even like packages. Just have a minimum "I promise to show up and take pictures" price, and then beyond that just have a few simple options they can add. They get a discount on those extra items if they pay for them in a "package" ahead of the wedding date. After the wedding, they gotta pay the a-la-carte prices.

Or, if you're too afraid that clients will wind up saying "you know, we originally wanted all these extras to get a discount, but now that the wedding is one week away we can't afford them so I guess we'll have to downgrade to your minimum package", (which has never happened, by the way) ...I suppose you COULD just take the above system, create a few simple packages yourself, and offer those.

A few rules:

* Your bottom package should NOT be a desirable value, not unless you'd like to keep on selling that bottom package for the next few years. It should be an un-desirable, zero-discount package that encourages the client to add at least a little something to their package. Hate to say it, but that is sales.

* Your packages beyond that, the ones that include anything more than base coverage, should ALL be both increasingly profitable for you, AND a better value to the couple. You gotta make sure you're not making LESS money if someone orders MORE products. It sounds obvious, but trust me it does happen if you don't get a system down.

* Again, make the savings very clear. You don't have to come right out and say "if you order this $5,000 package, you'll save $1,000 on products" ...but at least explain a rough amount of savings.

* Consider offering credit, instead of physical products, when it comes to albums. I had clients take months to decide whether they wanted a 20 page 12x12" album or a 30 page 10x10" album, a product with a price difference of just a few dollars. Bad idea. Just offer a simple "album credit", or at the most just keep your offerings very simple with a considerable price difference.

* Don't be afraid to go for broke in your top package, but then again don't just pick a ridiculously high number only to puff up your perceived value. Your top package should cost 2-3X what your bottom package costs, in a ~3 package business model. Oh and yeah. Try not to offer more than 3 packages.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    ^^^ what he said. Can't argue with any of those points.

If you set it up correctly, you'll probably have about 80% of your wedding clients pick the middle package, because it's the best balance of cost/value... At least that's how my experience has been.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    ^^^ what he said. Can't argue with any of those points.

If you set it up correctly, you'll probably have about 80% of your wedding clients pick the middle package, because it's the best balance of cost/value... At least that's how my experience has been.

Yep. Packages should be designed to secretly be a gauge of your business' success. (Or lack thereof)

If everyone is booking your middle package, you're doing well. If lots of people start booking your top package, you should raise your prices so your middle package costs almost that much. And of course, if everybody is booking your bottom package, you might want to consider the quality of your work / service, as well as your marketing and sales tactics. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum