Options

Devine rays in old factory

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited April 27, 2015 in Street and Documentary
I am not really an urban or architectural photographer, but every so often a I do go and shoot in locations like this.

Urban Industrial Photography,

I don’t know what attracts me so much to those old and miserable industrial relics. I guess it is a mix of illegality, danger and the unknown.
5-2-XL.jpg

Lets face it, every building is owned by someone. It doesn’t matter if there is a fence or sign, closed or open doors. The fact that I enter a facility without the permission of the owner is trespassing. Not that I would force doors or gates, break windows, snap fences. However if there is no sign or warning, the door is open or the wall has collapsed. I will walk in and look around. You don’t touch, take or move things.
_DSC0846-XL.jpg

This illegal entry creates a certain tension and fear. Danger is all around you, deep holes, and if fallen into it you will be there for the rest of your life, rotten floors, chemicals you name it. So you have to watch out where you step and scan the environment at 360 degrees at all times. But when you can overcome those fears, a new world will open up. Entering that building is like stepping into the unknown, every room, every corner brings something new.
eight-2-XL.jpg

While standing in those vast spaces the imagination kicks in, one can hear the voices from the past, the rumbling noise of the machinery, feel the heat of the torches, the smell of oil and sweat. It has taken me several times back into time, kind of a trance. And when that happens, the day is successful. It doesn’t always work, especially in buildings that have been undressed.
_DSC0811-XL.jpg

All what then remains is an empty shell. But even then the building has lots to offer. Look for the light; very often those facilities are poorly lit. The good thing is that in many cases windows are scattered or roofs are missing paneling. Those openings become your best friend as an abundance of sunlight will fall through . Dust and moisture particle’s fly freely around lit by the sunlight, resulting in magnificent rays of Devine light.
one-XL.jpg

A surrealistic feeling! Most of those places are so dirty and ugly that they become beautiful.

As I said, it is illegal so you must know your escape route, it is dangerous so know what you are visiting and take someone along. Many will ask “ how do you find these places ? “. Just look at google maps, check the beddings of old canals in well know industrial area’s from the past. Satellite pictures well tell a lot, if you see no cars , or tracks around the facility and nothing then green grass, then there is a big change that it is abandoned.
two-XL.jpg

Scan for chimneys, those are always a good indication for the presence of factories. Once you found a location, Google for more information , especially on the activity and it is not a chemical plant go and scout the place. I just love it.
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    Great shots! I love these kind of pictorials. I really like #3! thumb.gif

I think the attraction for me is that at one time the same scene years ago would have shown a very bustling group of people but now both the people and the building ( in a manner of speaking ) have been affected by some unknown change such as the economy or need for the product previously produced at the site. We have an old hospital that is now closed down in our area and I tried to get permission to do a similar pictorial on the inside but no luck. Great set and well done.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    Nice series
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited April 26, 2015
    Good series. I especially like #3. You were lucky to not only find a place with easy access but also in "good condition", i.e, not strewn with garbage and covered with graffiti, not to mention free of junkies and homeless people. Well done.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    very nice series, well done! #3 andthe last one are my favorites.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    Nice series - #3 and 5 are my favorites. You're lucky the "abandoned building police" weren't around! And thanks for the narrative - very interesting.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Thanks for viewing.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer