A Tail of Two Centipedes

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 1, 2015 in Holy Macro
Not a typo. This is about the last pair of legs as a distinguishing character.

I recently came across the tiny, delicate, centipede Schendyla for the first time on a piece of wood. Yesterday, with the same setup (FOV 9mm wide) I went in search of Diplura under a flat stone slab in my garden. No Diplura, but there was a Schendyla and also a huge specimen of the larger genus, which I believe to be Geophilus.

This was on bare soil, with numerous cracks into which both species could, and did retreat. Quite a lot of centipede wrangling was involved. smiley.gif

Then there was the FOV problem. While the smaller species, when curled up a bit, would fit in, the larger one was like watching a very long train pass by.

Anyway, I got some useable images of both species. Some images are cropped (only the second one cropped significantly) but those showing the tail ends (in the third, fifth and sixth images) looks a bit like the head end in the smaller species) are at the same magnification.

The third image has one of the smallest springtails and one of the smallest mites as a bonus.

EM-1, 21mm extension, Schneider 40mm reversed at f16, Twin TTL RC Flash, one free-standing, hand-held.

First the Schendyla.

Harold

1115553.jpg

1115554.jpg

1115555.jpg

1115556.jpg

1115557.jpg

Now for the Geophilus. It twisted and turned and reversed frequently. Great fun! biggrin.gif

The hindmost pair of legs are just like the others, with claws and used for walking. Those of Schendyla (third and last image above) lack claws and are held +/- horizontally, more like antennae.

Harold

1115558.jpg

1115559.jpg

1115560.jpg

Comments