Bay Area Day Trip

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited April 12, 2015 in Journeys
I decided to spend the last Presidents' day holiday taking a quick trip around the bay.

I started in San Francisco near the Embarcadero and caught some shots of the Bay Bridge and the surrounding areas.

iMG_6696a%20x1600-X2.jpg

iMG_6747a%202560x1600-X2.jpg

iMG_6776a%202560x1600-X2.jpg

iMG_6815a%202560x1600-X2.jpg

From there I wandered around the city a bit
iMG_6929a-X2.jpg

Stopping by Grace Cathedral (shared a similar shot in a previous thread)

iMG_7071a%20x1600-X2.jpg

iMG_7044a-X2.jpg

And from there up to Muir Beach, but the fog started coming in.

iMG_7174b%201920x1200-X2.jpg

So it was then over to Point Reyes for the cliche shipwreck shot

DSCF1596a-X2.jpg

Then on to the tunnel of trees, but in this case the fog was somewhat helpful

iMG_7238a%20x2048-XL.jpg

From here there was just more fog, but it wasn't completely socked in

iMG_7300a%201920x1200-X2.jpg

Then heading back toward the city I was lucky to see this through the mirror.

iMG_7339a%201920x1200-Edit-X2.jpg

and a variation a little further down the road

iMG_7382a%201920x1200-X2.jpg

As I got further away from the coast there was less fog so I figured I'd head back to the city to catch the other bridge, but it was a bust. This is really the more typical view of the GG Bridge.

iMG_7391a%201920x1200-X2.jpg

So nothing earth shattering as far as photography, but I always consider it a win when I can get out and shoot.

Thanks for staying through these.

Mike
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Wow, what a great way to spend the day. They ALL exhibit talent and capture light really well! clap.gif
    You do a great job on all and each hints at your eye for beauty!

OK, for me the picks are #'s 8,9,11 and 14!
    #8 appears almost abstract and I love how the images of the people just seem to appear out of the background.
    #9 Well, I'm just a BIG fan of abandoned old boat shots and this one is wonderfully accentuated by the wood grain and colors!
    #11 well...just awesome in every way...colors, composition and subject with a beautiful reflection as foreground. Probably my favorite.
    #14 beautiful colors perfectly captured! Exhibits a lot of camera talent.
    Would frame these right away! Thanks for sharing these beauties. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Great set of Bay Area shots. #12 takes the cake!
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2015
    Wow, what a great way to spend the day. They ALL exhibit talent and capture light really well! clap.gif
    You do a great job on all and each hints at your eye for beauty!

OK, for me the picks are #'s 8,9,11 and 14!
    #8 appears almost abstract and I love how the images of the people just seem to appear out of the background.
    #9 Well, I'm just a BIG fan of abandoned old boat shots and this one is wonderfully accentuated by the wood grain and colors!
    #11 well...just awesome in every way...colors, composition and subject with a beautiful reflection as foreground. Probably my favorite.
    #14 beautiful colors perfectly captured! Exhibits a lot of camera talent.
    Would frame these right away! Thanks for sharing these beauties. thumb.gif

Thanks for the nice feedback. I'm a little surprised about your comments on 14. I added it more as an example for NOT getting what I was hoping for. :D
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Great set of Bay Area shots. #12 takes the cake!

Thanks! I like that one as well. It was kind of funny because once I pulled over and started shooting it seemed like lots of people were stopping to do the same. It was great to see.

Mike
    flickr
    edited March 10, 2015
    Thanks for the nice feedback. I'm a little surprised about your comments on 14. I added it more as an example for NOT getting what I was hoping for. :D

Thanks! I like that one as well. It was kind of funny because once I pulled over and started shooting it seemed like lots of people were stopping to do the same. It was great to see.

Mike

If only my "bad" shots were so bad! mwink.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2015
    If only my "bad" shots were so bad! mwink.gif

You are very kind. I guess the reason I was disappointed was because I was looking for mostly clear skies with a touch of fog. I had this other shot from a while back and wanted to get something with a little more atmosphere, but not as much as I saw that night.

Here's the shot from a couple years back:
    iMG_8428%20x1200.jpg

And I was hoping for the hint of fog coming through the gate. Thus, it was a disappointment to me. I'm glad you like it though.

Mike
    flickr
    edited March 11, 2015
    You are very kind. I guess the reason I was disappointed was because I was looking for mostly clear skies with a touch of fog. I had this other shot from a while back and wanted to get something with a little more atmosphere, but not as much as I saw that night.

Here's the shot from a couple years back:

And I was hoping for the hint of fog coming through the gate. Thus, it was a disappointment to me. I'm glad you like it though.

Mike

Yes, I can see a little clearer now what you where intending in the first shot. The clear night shot is just incredible! thumb.gif
    May I ask what ( if any) filters were used for the clear night shot?

• junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    another vote for #11 almost N/T
    I guess I need a few characters
    edited March 21, 2015
    junglejim wrote: »
    I guess I need a few characters

I'm not sure I understand, but thanks. ne_nau.gif

Mike
    flickr
    edited March 21, 2015
    Yes, I can see a little clearer now what you where intending in the first shot. The clear night shot is just incredible! thumb.gif
    May I ask what ( if any) filters were used for the clear night shot?

No filters, just a regular lens.

Mike
    flickr
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2015
    Great diversity of subjects! would like to visit and shoot around these venues!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TravelAmyTravelAmy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2015
    Really nice lighting!! and I love the final san fran bridge.
    Amy VK
    Travel Photographer
    www.amyvk.com
    edited March 28, 2015
    Great diversity of subjects! would like to visit and shoot around these venues!

Thanks Awais! I have always enjoyed your work and the exposure it provides into life on the other side of the world. I've had the chance to travel a fair amount, but mostly for business. I'd love to get over there just for photography.
    TravelAmy wrote: »
    Really nice lighting!! and I love the final san fran bridge.

Thanks TravelAmy. I'm glad you like the shots.

Mike
    flickr
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 6, 2015
    Some very nice places. Especially the tunnel of trees.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • 2day2day Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2015
    What a day! Thanks for sharing such good work.
    Lois Doubleday
    www.imagingthat.co