smugDAV - let's get this show on the road

rtengrteng Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
Caution - this is a rant:

I am furious that there has been almost no development of smugDAV, a tool that ideally allows Muggers to bulk download their pics to their PC. It has been in the 'pre-beta' phase for at least a year and a half. It's a contradiction to have a photo sharing website encourage people to upload all their photos, given its unlimited storage (a true blessing), but then not give them an easier way to retrieve their pics in bulk. So, the pictures are the property of SmugMug, not us...nice. So, when my subscription nears it end, what am I supposed to do? I'm not paying SmugMug to send me DVDs of my own photos, or buying Star*Explorer for $50 just to be able to do this.

So, go to http://smugmug.jot.com/SmugDAV and try it out. But, don't be surprised if you try setting up the network place in Windows XP and keep getting the message 'Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server.'

I know some have got it to work - kudos. I posted this exact problem over 2 months ago, and devbobo (a staff member of SmugMug) told me that he didn't think I was doing anything wrong, and that it may have been due to a recent server relocation.

Conclusion: Please jump-start development of SmugDAV please, SmugMug. It is something Standard, Power, and Pro users could all benefit from. Make SmugMug better than the rest in this respect and keep me, as well as many others, as a customer.

If you believe in this cause, show your support with a reply.

Thanks for reading,

-Robert

P.S. To be fair, SmugMug kicks butt with its unlimited storage and constant server improvements. But, geotagging has now started to lag behind the competitors, and when was the last time a completely new feature was introduced for Standard users? :scratch

Comments

• wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Robert,

It's not SmugDAV, but my little Windows tool will bulk download galleries for you. Hope it helps a bit.

-Greg
  • rtengrteng Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    wellman wrote:
    Robert,

It's not SmugDAV, but my little Windows tool will bulk download galleries for you. Hope it helps a bit.

-Greg

You are the best, Greg - too bad SmugMug hasn't committed themselves to making their own such tool. Thanks for the support.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    devbobo (a staff member of SmugMug)

Dev is a Huge FOS (Friend of SmugMug) but he's not an employee, we should be so lucky!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    when was the last time a completely new feature was introduced for Standard users? headscratch.gif

We're working on stuff, we promise. There have been some minor releases:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2006/11/19/smugmug-releases-sept-oct-nov-2006/
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    You are the best, Greg - too bad SmugMug hasn't committed themselves to making their own such tool. Thanks for the support.

No problem. And while it's purely speculation, I'm guessing SmugMug does have some significant plans for client-side stuff. They're hiring. :D
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 28, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    devbobo (a staff member of SmugMug)

lol3.giflol3.gif if only

fwiw, i have just tested out smugDAV and it seems to be working fine for me.

what smugDAV address are you using ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • rtengrteng Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.gif if only

fwiw, i have just tested out smugDAV and it seems to be working fine for me.

what smugDAV address are you using ?

Cheers,

David

David, I am using https://upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg. Still get the same error message. fooey.

-Robert
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    Caution - this is a rant:

I am furious that there has been almost no development of smugDAV, a tool that ideally allows Muggers to bulk download their pics to their PC. It has been in the 'pre-beta' phase for at least a year and a half. It's a contradiction to have a photo sharing website encourage people to upload all their photos, given its unlimited storage (a true blessing), but then not give them an easier way to retrieve their pics in bulk. So, the pictures are the property of SmugMug, not us...nice. So, when my subscription nears it end, what am I supposed to do? I'm not paying SmugMug to send me DVDs of my own photos, or buying Star*Explorer for $50 just to be able to do this.

So, go to http://smugmug.jot.com/SmugDAV and try it out. But, don't be surprised if you try setting up the network place in Windows XP and keep getting the message 'Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server.'

I know some have got it to work - kudos. I posted this exact problem over 2 months ago, and devbobo (a staff member of SmugMug) told me that he didn't think I was doing anything wrong, and that it may have been due to a recent server relocation.

Conclusion: Please jump-start development of SmugDAV please, SmugMug. It is something Standard, Power, and Pro users could all benefit from. Make SmugMug better than the rest in this respect and keep me, as well as many others, as a customer.

If you believe in this cause, show your support with a reply.

Thanks for reading,

-Robert

P.S. To be fair, SmugMug kicks butt with its unlimited storage and constant server improvements. But, geotagging has now started to lag behind the competitors, and when was the last time a completely new feature was introduced for Standard users? headscratch.gif

FYI, active development continues with SmugDAV, but we do have thousands of customers using it without any problems, so in general it's not broken for read-only access.

Most of my work is going into making it read-write since AFAIK, read-only works fine.

Don
  • swrswr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2006
    SmugDAV on a Mac...
    Has anyone been able to get SmugDAV to work on Mac OS X 10.4?

All I get is empty folders... and from all my searching I have seen other people have had this same issue but have seen no resolution.

I have tried using finder, Transmit, and Interarchy to connect. But I believe they all must use the same OS library as they all have the same problem.

SmugDAV works great from Windows, I just want to use it from my Macs as well.
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    swr wrote:

All I get is empty folders... and from all my searching I have seen other people have had this same issue but have seen no resolution.

Ditto...here is the error log from system.log:
    Jan 24 16:01:36 Yump webdavd[3581]: error parsing lock token; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1631
    Jan 24 16:01:37 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:37 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:37 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:01:37 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:01:38 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:01:42 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:42 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:47 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:01:47 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:47 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:48 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:48 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:53 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:01:53 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:02:42 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:02:42 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:02:49 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:02:49 Yump webdavd[3581]: (uriURL != NULL) failed; going to CFURLCreateWithString; file: mount.tproj/webdav_parse.c; line: 1115
    Jan 24 16:05:57 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:05:57 Yump webdavd[3581]: (!NODE_IS_DELETED(target_node)) failed; going to node_deleted; file: mount.tproj/webdav_cache.c; line: 1085
    Jan 24 16:05:57 Yump /sbin/mount_webdav: https://upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg/ is already mounted: Resource busy
    Jan 24 16:05:57 Yump /sbin/mount_webdav: https://upload.smugmug.com/smugdav.mg/ is already mounted: Resource busy

swr wrote:
    I have tried using finder, Transmit, and Interarchy to connect. But I believe they all must use the same OS library as they all have the same problem.

I tried Goliath; a tcpdump shows what looks like a connection but then Goliath just sits and spins at 100% CPU utilization.
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    swr wrote:

SmugDAV works great from Windows, I just want to use it from my Macs as well.

Hi,

Wondering about mac OSX 10.4 (iMac 1.6 gig G5) compatability also...... headscratch.gif
    I get the folders too, but when I try to open any of them I get the same result ( whether actual folders are empty or not - ex: 'motorcycles' is my most used catagory and get same result as 'aquariums' never used) :cry
    see att- unable to open the resulting 'image?' regardless-any thoughts??
    Thanks,
    rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
    edited February 22, 2007
    Bump.....

anything for us die hard G5 iMac users? headscratch.gif
    thanks,
    rich56k
  • RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Empty folders on a pb g4.
    edited March 23, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    FYI, active development continues with SmugDAV, but we do have thousands of customers using it without any problems, so in general it's not broken for read-only access.

Most of my work is going into making it read-write since AFAIK, read-only works fine.

Don

Bump,

Smugmug, Don, David, Anyone......
    ne_nau.gif

Please address this issue,
    it's still not working for mac Power PC's :cry :cry
    ( OSX 10.4.8 - 17" iMac G5 1.8g - was 1.6g Apple upgraded me n/charge)
    I know its probobly not a priority, but theres a lot of us still waiting in the wings here....

thanks,
    rich56k
    edited April 18, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Don

Bump....

NOTE: 'Read Only' has NOT been working for Mac G5's :cry :cry

I don't now anything about code, ect... but it sure seems if there's numerous versions that work for pc's & intel macs why can't we get a version for the G5s?? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif

thanks,
    rich56k
    edited May 14, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    Bump,

Smugmug, Don, David, Anyone......
    ne_nau.gif

Please address this issue,
    it's still not working for mac Power PC's :cry :cry
    ( OSX 10.4.8 - 17" iMac G5 1.8g - was 1.6g Apple upgraded me n/charge)
    I know its probobly not a priority, but theres a lot of us still waiting in the wings here....

thanks,
    rich56k

Bump...
    Can someone ask Don if he's kicking us mac/G5 owners to the curb ??!!
    :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry
    Its been quite a while since anybodys responded to this thread,

I don't mean to be a pest - (but it's my monthly bump time again)

rich56k
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 14, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    Bump...
    Can someone ask Don if he's kicking us mac/G5 owners to the curb ??!!
    :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry :cry
    Its been quite a while since anybodys responded to this thread,

I don't mean to be a pest - (but it's my monthly bump time again)

rich56k

G'day Rich,

I promise that I will look into this at some point. I am currently waist deep in new functionality for the API.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited May 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day Rich,

I promise that I will look into this at some point. I am currently waist deep in new functionality for the API.

Cheers,

David

David,

Thanks for the news....
    Will rest easier knowing you're on it (even if it's down the road) thumb.gif
    Keep up the good work - :D
    Another happy camper,
    rich
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    rteng wrote:
    ... I'm not paying SmugMug to send me DVDs of my own photos, or buying Star*Explorer for $50 just to be able to do this.

Just to be clear: you don't need Pro Edition for this; download feature is enabled in Power Edition of Star*Explorer, which is only $29.99. deal.gif

And yes, there are free tools all around... lol3.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    SmugDAV issues - 2008/02/04
    So, what's broken?

- Mac OS X (G5? G4) compatibility? Is this an SSL issue? I haven't tried it recently, so I don't know if it's still broken.
    - Captions aren't converted to IPTC (yeah yeah, use AlbumFetcher)
    - Rotation isn't preserved -- this is surprising. If it always takes so long for SmugMug to "process" the rotations, then why are only the original non-rotated versions available via SmugDAV?

But most annoying to me right now:
    - Deleted images still show up in folders

Using WebDrive, which (unlike the built-in XP WebDAV implementation) allows me to map an SSL-secured WebDAV share to a drive letter, I dragged-and-dropped over 100 images to the Phanfare desktop client.

Got a bunch of errors/junk images because deleted images show up as their original size (I guess according to WebDAV), but do not have any image data inside of them. By the time they get copied locally, I end up with a 0 length file.

This just seems sloppy.