Sterling Rennaisance Festival

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited July 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I freely admit that Street/PJ is one of my (many) weak areas, but I'm game for anything, so I headed to the Sterling, NY festival with my K20d and my 35mm f/2.8 to see what I could do.

C&C always welcome.

Here's one that I miffed-- saw the shot, got excited, misfocused, and just like that the shot was gone. I still like it, but I'd have liked it better, you know, in focus.

Costume Adjustment.
940641225_kafui-XL.jpg

I liked this one better, same theme: Mom was helping her son get his Monk costume adjusted.

Costume Adjustment, take 2.
940643481_ThAbV-XL-2.jpg

And here's a B&W treatment:
941916750_H7in8-XL-1.jpg

Large chested women with fans in their bodice often hand off rats to stage magicians. Right?
940642803_jb8bb-XL.jpg

"Anybody remember where I parked?"
940597990_GiRrs-XL-1.jpg

I haven't included any stage show pictures since I'm not sure that's "street" photography. I will include this one because it humbled me a little bit, in a good way. It's from the Don Juan and Miguel show, which involves a lot of tricks with whips, sword fights, etc. In this one Don Juan's breaking spaghetti strands out of Miguel's mouth with a whip. After taking it, "Don Juan" approached me and gently reminded me, in the nicest way possible, that the whip was real, "Miguel's" face was real, and that I was popping my fill flash in his eyes.

I took the hint and turned off my flash.

But I didn't stop taking pictures!

940613592_Nxdhj-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Parking lot scene rolleyes1.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thanks, it made me smile too. thumb.gif I also adjusted the crop of the B&W treatment, and embiggened the images for easier viewing.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Hi Mark,
    Good to see you here.

The costume change ones are not really working for me, not sure why
    I like the parking lot scene (very very funny--great DOF too) as well as the last shot of the performers, not so much because of the performers (though that's good too), but I like the reaction of the little ones in the audience, they are so tense.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 22, 2010
    Hi Mark,
    Good to see you here.

The costume change ones are not really working for me, not sure why
    I like the parking lot scene (very very funny--great DOF too) as well as the last shot of the performers, not so much because of the performers (though that's good too), but I like the reaction of the little ones in the audience, they are so tense.

Thanks for the feedback. I am happy to admit that my pictures may not be as captivating as I sometimes think they are. The old woman and her son are not performers; they like to dress up and come to the Renfest. Same with the armored dude in the parking lot.

There are more images of the Don Juan and Miguel show here. Sorry about the lighting: bright mid-day sun plus dark shaded stage = tough choices.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010

This is hilarious!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »

This is hilarious!

15524779-Ti.gif Best of the set.
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »

This is hilarious!

I agree as well. Would be even funnier without any context. :D
    edited July 22, 2010
    Brendan wrote: »
    I agree as well. Would be even funnier without any context. :D

Would the image be funnier without the caption, which is a bit of a lie anyway?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 23, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    Would the image be funnier without the caption, which is a bit of a lie anyway?
    The image speaks for itself. I don't think the caption adds anything--it's funny even if he knows where his car is. But I don't think the caption actually does any harm.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 24, 2010
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    All of the photos have some merit for "street" photography, but IMHO #1 says the most - here is the scoop. the two front figures are blured - this is good - the rest of the photo is sharp. Crop out the guy on the left side. Then your eye goes to the gal sitting on the bench who is staring towards you as if to say -"what are you doing?" All of the other people are into their thing. Granted this may not be immediately evident - have to look and think.
    Ed Siciliano

Photoman74.smugmug.com
    edited July 24, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    All of the photos have some merit for "street" photography, but IMHO #1 says the most - here is the scoop. the two front figures are blured - this is good - the rest of the photo is sharp. Crop out the guy on the left side. Then your eye goes to the gal sitting on the bench who is staring towards you as if to say -"what are you doing?" All of the other people are into their thing. Granted this may not be immediately evident - have to look and think.
    Ed Siciliano

Photoman74.smugmug.com

Like so?

940641225_kafui-XL-2.jpg
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Yes - she is the only person interested in you - the others don't give a @#$%^& - they are going about their thing - IMO this is what makes it a good street shot.
    ED