Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    You don't have to remember - they all in menus and button hints.
    That one - Ctrl+T:D
    That's my point - I see this one every time I click on it manually in the menu, but still can't keep it. ne_nau.gif
    I'm just not the hotkey-kinda-guy. :D
    Anyone in for coldkeys? rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Although I have al the latest updates on all my XPs and thus far this feature never crashed (finges crossed). The only thing that drives me nuts with it is the counter-intuitive arrows action...
    It's probably a Win2000 specific hotfix.
    They haven't fixed the atypical scrolling, yet?? I thought so.

Sebastian

PS:Quite a chat we've got going on here? mwink.gif S*E release threads are somewhat private-public chat channels, aren't they? :D

PS2: I like this kind of post count number...777
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Guess so
    PS:Quite a chat we've got going on here? mwink.gif S*E release threads are somewhat private-public chat channels, aren't they? :D
    I agree, not many people read this type of threads, let alone leave some comments. Too nerdy/geeky/techy I guess.. I need to post some shots of homecoming queen to get any additional inputrolleyes1.gif
    PS2: I like this kind of post count number...777
    Congrats:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Thanks again for the quick response. Don't worry about any of these issues being a "show stopper" for me. I can already see many benefits to using the program and will be purchasing a license when the trial perior expires in a few days.

Keep up the great work!

Ed
    edited December 5, 2005
    Huh!? Seems like Andy did your laundry as all release threads have been merged - so anybody will ever dig up the sin of yours. :D
    The tuned history looks really good to me now. Maybe you could try ctrl+break-key as the shortcut for stoping the current action? You almost can't hit it accidently and it makes perfect sense to me and I'm already remembering it even though it doesn't exists yet. rolleyes1.gif
    I'm really wondering why nobody ever uses the break-key for anything even though all keyboards have it. Except for our beloved Billy Boy who used it for opening up the system properties in combination with the famous winkey. But I'm not using this combination as often as ctrl-esc.

How's that for an alternative? mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 5, 2005
    Sebastian,
    Huh!? Seems like Andy did your laundry as all release threads have been merged - so anybody will ever dig up the sin of yours. :D
    The tuned history looks really good to me now. Maybe you could try ctrl+break-key as the shortcut for stoping the current action? You almost can't hit it accidently and it makes perfect sense to me and I'm already remembering it even though it doesn't exists yet. rolleyes1.gif
    I'm really wondering why nobody ever uses the break-key for anything even though all keyboards have it. Except for our beloved Billy Boy who used it for opening up the system properties in combination with the famous winkey. But I'm not using this combination as often as ctrl-esc.

How's that for an alternative? mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Yeah, Andy is super cool..

As to the break key - it's such a hassle to intercept it at the application level, so no wonder nobody's using it, especially with the new breed of keyboards, where all the special keys are merged together and often require some special "mode" to be functional. That break and the scrolllock keys are just two damn space takers, never saw any app (except msdos or windows, which you mentioned) that would put them to any reasonable use..ne_nau.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 13, 2005
    S*E: new version 135 uploaded
    • Important bug fix (infinite loop on corrupted files) - many thanks to Kip for assistance!thumb.gif
    • "Update Sync Tree" action works
    HTH
    edited December 15, 2005
    S*E: new version 137 uploaded
    The latest version allows for automatic shutdown after the upload (Sebastian, remember you were asking? mwink.gif )
    You can select desired option (Suspend, Hibernate, Logoff, Shutdown) even after the upload starts, since it's checked only upon upload completion.
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    The latest version allows for automatic shutdown after the upload (Sebastian, remember you were asking? mwink.gif )
    You can select desired option (Suspend, Hibernate, Logoff, Shutdown) even after the upload starts, since it's checked only upon upload completion.
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    Looks I've got my personal genie in a bottle! Thanks for the awesome fast implementation!
    Now how about some snow over here in Germany?! lol3.gif I'm sick of the wet'n'dark weather. umph.gif

You're the man! *hip-hip-hooraay* clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 15, 2005
    Sebastian,
    Looks I've got my personal genie in a bottle! Thanks for the awesome fast implementation!
    Now how about some snow over here in Germany?! lol3.gif I'm sick of the wet'n'dark weather. umph.gif

You're the man! *hip-hip-hooraay* clap.gif

Sebastian
    Thanks, glad you like it!
    And (sh-hhh!) there is more stuff coming soon.
    I promise you gonna like it even more:-):):
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 16, 2005
    Is it possible for star*explorer to store the geography information for photos loaded to SM? SM does not have the bulk geography/location function yet and I would really like to add that information as photos are loaded through SE. Is this available through the API?
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited December 16, 2005
    I would *love* to do it!
    docwalker wrote:
    Is it possible for star*explorer to store the geography information for photos loaded to SM? SM does not have the bulk geography/location function yet and I would really like to add that information as photos are loaded through SE. Is this available through the API?
    Unfortunately, API does not provide this capability...ne_nau.gif
    edited December 16, 2005
    docwalker wrote:
    Over at Smugmug Blogs there's a discussion about getting geography information into the EXIF-data before uploading the pictures. I use the WWMX tool myself to add the location data to my pictures.
    Afterwards I just upload the pictures using any uploader I want to - most of the time S*E of course - and *whoop* Smugmug simply imports the EXIF-data and shows my pictures on the map. thumb.gif
    If you've got any questions after reading the little discussion, feel free to contact me and maybe I hopefully help you out.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 17, 2005
    I read the discussion. I tried WWMX. But it does not do what I am looking for. I do not want to have to add another program and series of steps to an already complicated workflow.

Granted that the API does not accept this information at this time, it would be a good fit for SE to handle bulk geo loc writing. I know that the SM gang is looking at adding the bulk feature to the web interface in the future but that will probably be a ways off due to the other pending requests. If the API was opened up to allow it, SE could be modified to handle the data.

WWMX appears to be good for people that are using a GPS and creating tracklogs and matching photos up to create the EXIF. Although I am what most would consider a GPS expert and use one quite frequently, I do not want to do that. If I am shooting photos, the GPS is the last thing on my mind.

For me, I go to weird locations, shoot a bunch of photos in probably a 1,000 yard radius. I come home and upload the photos. I want to tag the photos with the general location so I use google maps to get my coordinates. I want to tag all of those photos with the same coordinates.

I have people ask me where I took groups of photos all the time. Being able to use the map this function would really be nice. An example is that I take photos of fire stations. I may put the photos in multiple galleries due to grouping the photos by another topic. If someone clicks a keyword for firestations and then maps the results, it would be nice to see all of them on the map regardless of what gallery they are in. As it stands now I have to geo loc each photo manually.

Any consideration getting this feature added would be appreciated.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited December 17, 2005
    Wwmx
    docwalker wrote:
    I read the discussion. I tried WWMX. But it does not do what I am looking for. I do not want to have to add another program and series of steps to an already complicated workflow.

Granted that the API does not accept this information at this time, it would be a good fit for SE to handle bulk geo loc writing. I know that the SM gang is looking at adding the bulk feature to the web interface in the future but that will probably be a ways off due to the other pending requests. If the API was opened up to allow it, SE could be modified to handle the data.

WWMX appears to be good for people that are using a GPS and creating tracklogs and matching photos up to create the EXIF. Although I am what most would consider a GPS expert and use one quite frequently, I do not want to do that. If I am shooting photos, the GPS is the last thing on my mind.

For me, I go to weird locations, shoot a bunch of photos in probably a 1,000 yard radius. I come home and upload the photos. I want to tag the photos with the general location so I use google maps to get my coordinates. I want to tag all of those photos with the same coordinates.

I have people ask me where I took groups of photos all the time. Being able to use the map this function would really be nice. An example is that I take photos of fire stations. I may put the photos in multiple galleries due to grouping the photos by another topic. If someone clicks a keyword for firestations and then maps the results, it would be nice to see all of them on the map regardless of what gallery they are in. As it stands now I have to geo loc each photo manually.

Any consideration getting this feature added would be appreciated.

Doc,
    I spent a few hours today looking at the issue. I do not possess any code of my own (or 3d party, for that matter) that would allow me easily implement EXIF modification.
    On the other hand, WWMX Location Stamper seems to do the job almost perfectly. It's free, it's working, and it's very simple to use (at least once you figured out that you need first to add images to its list and then drop them onto its map). And while its mapping part is not as slick as google's, it does work. I tested it with a few files of my own - no problems.

So instead of
    1. opening google map
    2. clicking "Link To This Page",
    3. manually (!) extracting longitude/latitude data (double round trip via clipboard, 2 times 4 actions: cumbersome select - copy - switch - paste)
    all you need to do is
    1. open map in Localtion Stamper
    2. drop/add the files to Location Stamper (just as you would for S*E)
    3. drop them to specific location on the map.
    Three simple actions instead of ten - I'd say it's rather straightforward ! :):

At this point amount of efforts I'd have to spend to add this feature to S*E simply cannot be justified, given the fact WWMX is working the way it does.

If this is not enough and you do want adding gps info to be streamlined more than it is described above, please consider custom programming.

HTH
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    I have a star explorer bug for you

it keeps defaulting to a folder i have for october... even though I've been uploading from december folders for quite a while, whenever I close and reopen it mysteriously goes back to that october folder...

can't find anywhere to change the default folder either...

help?
    edited December 23, 2005
    Dunno..
    Shima wrote:
    I have a star explorer bug for you

it keeps defaulting to a folder i have for october... even though I've been uploading from december folders for quite a while, whenever I close and reopen it mysteriously goes back to that october folder...

can't find anywhere to change the default folder either...

help?
    Never happened to me and I never heard of it before your post.
    Please make sure you have the latest version of S*E and the starexplorer.ini file is not on a readonly media and is modifiable by you.
    HTH
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    For some reason I can only upload 12 images @ a time.
    Never had this problem before?headscratch.gif
    And Smugmug wont let me arrange images????
    Its gone all haywire today for me.1drink.gif
    edited December 26, 2005
    John,
    For some reason I can only upload 12 images @ a time.
    Never had this problem before?headscratch.gif
    And Smugmug wont let me arrange images????
    Its gone all haywire today for me.1drink.gif
    Several people reported similar problem to me, and I experienced this myself several times during this Holiday Season. I suspect it has something to do with servers overload, though I'm not sure.
    In my case if some files are left in the queue I just hit upload again. I had to repeat this up to 3 times, it could be more or less.
    As to SM not letting you arrange your images - it's beyond my reachne_nau.gif , you might wanna check with their tech support.

Hopefully this all is caused by a holiday craze and will go away...

Happy Holidays!1drink.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    I also had to hit upload again to get them all up. I really like
    how they're left in the queue if not uploaded, very nice
    feature. 3 of 4 uploads today had some not uploaded.

When arranging photos in the galleries make sure you have "position"
    checked under "custonize gallery" and not sort by date etc. I ran
    into this today, no mater how many times I moved a photo to the
    first position it would not stick.

I would love to be able to drop more photos in the queue as the
    upload is in progress.

AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited December 26, 2005
    Allen,
    Allen wrote:
    I also had to hit upload again to get them all up. I really like
    how they're left in the queue if not uploaded, very nice
    feature. 3 of 4 uploads today had some not uploaded.
    Thanks for chiming in!thumb.gif
    Allen wrote:
    I would love to be able to drop more photos in the queue as the
    upload is in progress.
    AL

That, unfortunately, would require some serious refactoringne_nau.gif .
    I'm planning on doing that, but not tomorrow.
    In the mean time S*E is best used as "plan it, launch it, and forget it" tool..
    Happy Holidays!1drink.gif
    edited December 31, 2005
    Happy New 2006 Year!
    I'd like to wish everybody, and of course, users of Star*Explorer:): , very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!clap.gif
    Thank you very much for your support!thumb.gif
    I'll try to keep S*E up to your requests and needs!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd like to wish everybody, and of course, users of Star*Explorer:): , very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!clap.gif
    Thank you very much for your support!thumb.gif
    I'll try to keep S*E up to your requests and needs!
    Cheers!1drink.gif

wave.gif and to you, too, Nik!
    edited December 31, 2005
    Thanks, Andy!
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif and to you, too, Nik!
    I'll drink your health when NY hits NYC:-)1drink.gif
    edited January 4, 2006
    S*E: one year on the web
    One year, 40,000+ hits, 230+ customers..
    Not so bad for a one-man army :):
    Thank you everybody!
    edited January 5, 2006
    Congrats Nik! Let's at least double it this year! clap.gif

All the best for the new year,
    Sebastian 1drink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 5, 2006
    Thanks, man!
    Congrats Nik! Let's at least double it this year! clap.gif

All the best for the new year,
    Sebastian 1drink.gif

I'll do my best!:):
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Hey,

In #257 in this post, there was some questions about how S*E applies themes.

Have themes been opened up in the API?

Also, is there any way to see what theme is set for each album without having to click through each individually?

Thanks,

-Kevin
    edited January 25, 2006
    Kevin,
    galla47 wrote:
    Hey,

In #257 in this post, there was some questions about how S*E applies themes.

Have themes been opened up in the API?

Also, is there any way to see what theme is set for each album without having to click through each individually?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Sorry, no, themes have not been surfaced in the production API, as far as I know. This means I cannot help you with them at the time ne_nau.gif
  • rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Pricing available through API / S*E?
    Is there any access to Pricing info via the API? Any hope of getting this in S*E? The web interface for changing multiple albums at once is sorely lacking (unless you want to set the price the same for everything at once; I've got just subsets to change).