Options

Traditional Indian Wedding

imagesbytmarieimagesbytmarie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited August 13, 2012 in Weddings
I have just recently been invited by another photographer to accompany her on taking photos at a Traditional Indian Wedding. (She does alot of these types of weddings)

Anyway, I do not know her very well but she told me it was a THREE day event!?

Does anyone else do these types of wedding? What is the timeline? I am reading about it online, but I want more details. Like the Henna Party for the Bride, how long does that usually last?

I got asked last minute and it will be next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have a couple of Senior photo shoots already scheduled and just need to try to either re-arrange, if there will be time or completely reschedule if the wedding will really take three solid 10-12 hours each day.

Thanks for anyone that can help me! :)

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    If you'd like to see a LOT of Indian wedding samples, check out the blog of the studio I've been shooting with very often this season: http://linandjirsablog.com

We recently just photographed a 3-day Indian wedding that totaled about 30-40 hrs of shooting and 7K images captured. The groom rode into the wedding on an elephant!

The studio also shot a 4-day job recently. So yes, multiple days is quite ordinary. Usually though, the first couple days aren't that long, they're mostly just half-day jobs that start in the afternoon and end at a decent hour. (Sangeet, Mendhi, etc.) Certain types of Indian weddings however can indeed have at least two days of all-day activity. Sometimes, they'll just flat-out have two separate weddings, if the couple is only "half indian"- Saturday could be the Indian ceremony and Sunday could be a regular christian church ceremony. I'd ask the main shooter what is happening on each day, for sure...

It's a lot of fun, and quite honestly after being at so many Indian weddings I often find "white people weddings" to be kinda boring. I'm white myself and had a "boring" wedding, so I can say that without being racist. :-P Bottom line- Indian weddings are an amazing experience and as a wedding photographer I'm very glad and honored to be a part of them. They're painful by the end of the day,(s) but they're worth it.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Matt-

I know this is an old thread, but what is the studios philosophy on pricing Indian weddings? Hourly (roughly given the fact you can't determine exact times especially over a 3 day event)

Thanks

Jim
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Matt-

I know this is an old thread, but what is the studios philosophy on pricing Indian weddings? Hourly (roughly given the fact you can't determine exact times especially over a 3 day event)

Thanks

Jim

We charge by the hour, Jim. It's really the only way to go in a volume based business model.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Well, that settles it, I'm double majoring. Photojournalism and Hindi. If PJ falls through, looks like I could sustain my entire family on four Indian weddings a year.

:D