Google optimizing and design conflict!

pallis1pallis1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 15, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to Google SEO optimizing my Smugmug site.
Ownership is cleared with Google and Google Analytics is up and running.
I am aware that each of my galleries needs updated info. As I see it I need to go into Organize - Settings - Basic and fill out the Description field. That will be the text shown when you do a Google search.
My problem is that the same text will be displayed above each of my galleries and spoil the design I have!
Is there a way I can "turn it off" so it is not shown?
You can see an example of a gallery here.
Right now I have used the Description field to enter the text "Click on a picture for full size. Specifications below gallery." and I am aware I need to make that as a separate text field - no problem.

Any advices?

Thanks,
Allan

Comments

• Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2016
    Hi pallis1

The text that google (and other search engines) shows when you are using them to search for your site is defined by click_on_your_icon -> Account Settings -> Discovery -> Homepage Metadata Description and not by the text that you are entering as a description for your gallery.

And yes, you can turn it off by using the following CSS-code (add it to a css-block on the level of "entire site"):
    .sm-gallery-description
    {
      display:none !important;
    }

Good luck.

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 14, 2016
    The text that google (and other search engines) shows when you are using them to search for your site is defined by click_on_your_icon -> Account Settings -> Discovery -> Homepage Metadata Description and not by the text that you are entering as a description for your gallery.
    If you have a description on a gallery and you look at the page source with that gallery open you will see the meta property description shows the gallery description, not the homepage meta description. The homepage meta description is there if there is no gallery description. I believe the gallery descriptions do come into play in searches.

I just did a search for a specific page on my site, and the description returned by the search is the description from that page. The homepage meta description is used if no other text is supplied. It is also shown when keyword results are returned.

--- Denise
  • pallis1pallis1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2016
    Thank you so much for your kind help. I am on the move again!

Cheers,
    Allan

www.vintageludwig.com