Show us your business Card!

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks....

123987709-S.jpg

That's an awful lot for an itty bitty card. Have you printed out a proof?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's an awful lot for an itty bitty card. Have you printed out a proof?

Yes, i have printed out a proof. And I like it. However, the more I look at other cards posted here, I find I am drawn to the "single" image designs. I think I'll try again.

Thanks .

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like the 4th one best. mwink.gif

Where you move the contact info down to the bottom, and stack it reverse order: phone on top, email in the middle, and URL on the bottom, minus the "www."
    Do make sure your site works without the www. part first though deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited January 18, 2007
    O.k.--Here's my second card. What do you think?

124000088-L.jpg

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • DanielaDaniela Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2007
    4th Try...
    How about this:

124000378-L.jpg

I wish I could get rid of the www. However, some people have expressed frustration in finding the site without the www part on, strange!

Thanks for the input, all.

Daniela
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Daniela wrote:
    How about this:

I wish I could get rid of the www. However, some people have expressed frustration in finding the site without the www part on, strange!

Thanks for the input, all.

Daniela

Daniela,

This
    http://danielaweaver.smugmug.com/gallery/1997804/1/124000378
    is not a photo link to embed.

This is
    http://danielaweaver.smugmug.com/photos/124000378-L.jpg
    124000378-L.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Daniela,

It's a very sweet picture on your card! For me, your name is a bit too close to the baby's head. It just feels a bit crowded right in that spot, whereas the rest of it has nice breathing room. The overall text, however, does look much more balanced in this version.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I don't understand why I see so many photo businesses hosted at (for example) www.wonderfulphotos.com, and which then provide a nondescript e-mail address at a free service like bob147@gmail.com. It looks so incredibly tacky!

If your business identity is based on a unique domain name, why wouldn't you have a professional business e-mail address at the same domain name? This is usually provided by the hosting ISP at no additional charge as part of the hosting package.

Then you would present your business as, for example:

web - www.wonderfulphotos.com
    e-mail - bobwonder@wonderfulphotos.com
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I don't understand why I see so many photo businesses hosted at (for example) www.wonderfulphotos.com, and which then provide a nondescript e-mail address at a free service like bob147@gmail.com. It looks so incredibly tacky!

Not just photo businesses, I see it with all kinds of businesses. I think it's just a matter of education. Many of these small business owners just don't realize they can use their "website address" for e-mail.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    Daniela wrote:

My third:
    123855093-M.jpg

Thank you for your time and any responses!

Daniela

Daniela:

Welcome to dGrin...congrats on your "delurking" :D

I think this is a very nice card...

my simple suggestions:

a) first line: delete the word photography, realign your name to right

b) second line: reduce overall font size by one or two points; then resize the @ symbol another point so it scales better to the other characters.

c) third line: same advice - reduce font point size to better scale with the alphabet characters above... numerals in any font suite are always larger in scale than the characters, so a 10 pt numeral looks 1.5 - 2 points larger than a 10 pt alpha character. Adjust accordingly for visual balance.

Otherwise it's a beautiful card thumb.gif
    edited January 20, 2007
    I think this is my final proof, unless anyone has any other suggestions. I thought I'd leave the "Photography" on, since it is part of the company name. Thank you, Angelo for opointing out the sizes of the numerals, etc. That was a big help! Everyone was a big help! It's been said before, this is a great community of helpers. I've informed some others in my local guild to check DGrin out, they'll be happy.

124226983-M.jpg

Thanks again,
    Daniela
    edited January 20, 2007
    Daniela wrote:
    I think this is my final proof, unless anyone has any other suggestions. I thought I'd leave the "Photography" on, since it is part of the company name. Thank you, Angelo for opointing out the sizes of the numerals, etc. That was a big help! Everyone was a big help! It's been said before, this is a great community of helpers. I've informed some others in my local guild to check DGrin out, they'll be happy.

124226983-Ti.jpg

Thanks again,
    Daniela

Yeah, I'll speak up! I think the company name is too close to the contact info. Almost touching like that is graphically distracting.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Have you tried placing your contact info like you did here:

124000378-L.jpg

but with the new placement of your company name and keeping the font fixes? Just wondered how that looked?

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Daniela wrote:

124226983-M.jpg

Thanks again,
    Daniela

I would highly suggest moving the contact info to the bottom in the reverse order than it is now (like on a previous sample).

How much is Verizon paying you to advertise their service on your business card? I would highly suggest using daniela@weaverfinephotography.com as your public business e-mail address and then forward the mail to your verizon address. So much more professional and you will not be at the mercy of a third party (verizon) controlling what you e-mail address may or may not be.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Mine
    OK, certainly not as 'artsy' as some of the other really nice cards here, but....
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    AZsnapper wrote:
    OK, certainly not as 'artsy' as some of the other really nice cards here, but....
    I think that's just fine. It probably suits your business model. One semi-major nitpick (that is most certainly moot)...

Good lord I hate it when people add a 'z' on the end of things!

There I said it. "snapz" kind of makes me want to cringe. It makes me want to say, sorry sir/ma'am but you've got a typo there. Right there on your business card it says snapz and I think you meant snaps, that must be very embarrasing. But I suppose it's not too difficult to do what with the s and z being so close together. What's that you say? You made it that way on purpose. Well. Keepz itz upz thenz!

Like I said, moot point. You're card is just fine IMHO, you've already got the domain it looks like, and I'm sure you've actually been up and doing business just fine thankyouverymuch. But still, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    HomeSnapZ
    Well, HomeSnaps.com is not available. So I went with the 'Z' and since that's not correct way to spell the word, I made the 'Z' stand out visualy so hopefuly people would rember to spell it with a 'Z' instead of a 'S'

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mike Lane wrote:
    I think that's just fine. It probably suits your business model. One semi-major nitpick (that is most certainly moot)...

Good lord I hate it when people add a 'z' on the end of things!

There I said it. "snapz" kind of makes me want to cringe. It makes me want to say, sorry sir/ma'am but you've got a typo there. Right there on your business card it says snapz and I think you meant snaps, that must be very embarrasing. But I suppose it's not too difficult to do what with the s and z being so close together. What's that you say? You made it that way on purpose. Well. Keepz itz upz thenz!

Like I said, moot point. You're card is just fine IMHO, you've already got the domain it looks like, and I'm sure you've actually been up and doing business just fine thankyouverymuch. But still, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
    edited January 20, 2007
    Allright, I think I've consolidated everybody's advice and I do think this is the best version. Whatcha think?

124385226-L.jpg

I did register the new email address, and it was easy and free! Good advice, I think it does look more professional. My husband set us up with the web domain, so I did not even know the email was available.

Thanks again everyone!

Daniela
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Daniela wrote:
    I did register the new email address, and it was easy and free! ... I think it does look more professional.
    thumb.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Kerning
    Daniela wrote:
    Allright, I think I've consolidated everybody's advice and I do think this is the best version. Whatcha think?

124385226-L.jpg

I did register the new email address, and it was easy and free! Good advice, I think it does look more professional. My husband set us up with the web domain, so I did not even know the email was available.

Thanks again everyone!

Daniela

:D I'm sorry but the "kerning" (space between letters) between the capital W and the lower case e is bothering me! :D:D Can you move "eaver" closer to the W?

Beautiful photo and very eye catching... I'm sure people will keep your business card because the photo is so beautiful.

I don't like the "leading" either (pest, aren't I?) Some letters will work fine when the top line and the bottom line are so close, but in this case it's distracting and hard to read. I can understand your choice of that font, as the image of the baby is so compelling that you need a strong, eye-catching font to get attention to your name and that font has accomplished that. But perhaps there's a similar font that might work as well but be easier to read when you have the two lines so close? Or add a little line spacing? Or can you make the word photography smaller, or a different color, gray?

I think your business card is well worth all the time you can take to make it perfect.
    edited January 20, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    :D I'm sorry but the "kerning" (space between letters) between the capital W and the lower case e is bothering me! :D:D Can you move "eaver" closer to the W?

Beautiful photo and very eye catching... I'm sure people will keep your business card because the photo is so beautiful.

I don't like the "leading" either (pest, aren't I?) Some letters will work fine when the top line and the bottom line are so close, but in this case it's distracting and hard to read. I can understand your choice of that font, as the image of the baby is so compelling that you need a strong, eye-catching font to get attention to your name and that font has accomplished that. But perhaps there's a similar font that might work as well but be easier to read when you have the two lines so close? Or add a little line spacing? Or can you make the word photography smaller, or a different color, gray?

I think your business card is well worth all the time you can take to make it perfect.

Good comments, here. Nice, Dee! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 21, 2007
    Good points! And yes, it really is worth the time and effort to project the right image for your business, even if it is very part-time like mine. Who knows, someone may remember the card you gave them several years down the road!

Well, to make the name stand out, I reduced the opacity of "Photography" and the contact info. I think that gives it more balance than just reducing the "Photography", what do you think? I also squeezed the "We" closer together.

124659882-M.jpg

Wow, you guys really have eyes for this stuff.bowdown.gif

Daniela
    edited January 21, 2007
    The other thing for me, Daniela, is the image is very low contrast. I know, it's a baby, and that's kind of the "look", but I prefer to use the full range of values in an image. I used the pop tutorial (see tutes link in my signature) to get this. What do you think? Too much? If something like this is too much, then you could lay it on top of what you do like and play wiht the opacity until you got a version you liked best.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 25, 2007
    Thank you for the suggestion, DavidTO. I think I'll stick with the soft look, though. I like that the pop comes from the eyes, it really shows who she is. Even at that age, you could tell so much of her personality: very intense, takes everything in, very emotional and feminine.

I'm about to send it off to get printed! Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions, the original has come a long way and I'm very happy with it.

Daniela:D
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    For those that want to get some cheap basic business cards, office depot has a special going on.

C/p from a deals forum...

1) Add coupon 29540100 to cart
    2) Follow this link.
    3) Pick your template.
    4) Fill out all the lines.
    5) Add to cart

You have to check out before the price drops from $12.99 to $0.99 plus tax, and shipping is free.

so 99 cents for 250 business cards, and apperantly the back is blank.

I would have gotten these for my wife, but for some reason Office Depot doesnt like our credit card anymore. Even over the phone. saying the address doesnt match up or something. Oh well.
  • pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Hi everyone.

I have several versions of business cards. Actually not different versions - just a different background photo. Before I post all 9 (actually 10 with the bonus one) - wanted to make sure that's not breaking the Rules. deal.gif

The different photos reflect whether I want to highlight my candids, nature, sports, etc. And sometimes I've let them choose - I enjoy seeing which ones they select.

-teresa
    edited January 28, 2007
    No rules. Go for it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Alright here they are. I've included one (ice hockey), but haven't printed that one. Would I need permission from anyone - the player, the team, etc.?

I think for a few of them, I have too much text, and just the web address is enough (see last photo of girl).

125874992-L.jpg125874984-L.jpg

125875004-L.jpg125875020-L.jpg

125875029-L.jpg125875040-L.jpg125875053-L.jpg

125875058-L.jpg125874976-L.jpg

125875066-L.jpg125876864-L-1.jpg
  • chicagophotoshopchicagophotoshop Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Hi everyone first time poster here

my name is Jeff and I enjoy taking photographs mainly of chicago. One of the greatest cities on earth. IMHO of course.

I am starting a website soon showcasing my photos as well as give a platform for other amauters, pros, hobbiest, alike to sell their photos.

I look forward to getting some feedback on my pics. by no means am I a pro but I would like to make a business out of this.

here is my business card. site will be up in about 2 weeks. I look forward to posting alot wings.gifivar

jeffbizcard.jpg
    edited January 29, 2007
    Looking for C and C....

126296110-L.jpg

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker