Backlit Photos

T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited August 14, 2016 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone here produce images for display in a backlit frame?

There are at least a few providers of backlit frames. Photoglow ( http://photoglow.com/product-category/blank-media/ ) was mentioned in passing in a DGRIN forum 10 years ago.

Anybody try it?

Another one is http://www.backlitbox.com/products_new/

PhotoGlow allows you to print on their media (maybe available elsewhere) so you have more control over what is displayed (or you can swap images, as your mood changes).
Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
Looka looka koo la ley

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 14, 2016
    I used to shoot large format film for use in a Duratrans display application. (Trade shows and kiosks.) The Duratrans was hung on a double diffused fluorescent backlit frame for display.

I still recommend using fluorescent bulbs (95-98 CRI) if you want the best color tonality. Using Kino Flo bulbs gets you very close to any of the color temperatures they provide; much closer than most current LED lighting. The reason is that Kino Flo bulbs use a very controlled mix of phosphors, some of which are rare and expensive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2016
    Thanks Ziggy, good to know.

ziggy53 wrote: »
    I used to shoot large format film for use in a Duratrans display application. (Trade shows and kiosks.) The Duratrans was hung on a double diffused fluorescent backlit frame for display.

I still recommend using fluorescent bulbs (95-98 CRI) if you want the best color tonality. Using Kino Flo bulbs gets you very close to any of the color temperatures they provide; much closer than most current LED lighting. The reason is that Kino Flo bulbs use a very controlled mix of phosphors, some of which are rare and expensive.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley