Should embedded image show in preview post?

gatorbehindlensgatorbehindlens Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 18, 2015 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hello.
New to the forums. Have tried to find an answer to this through the FAQs, looking through support forum, and searches, but haven't been able to find anything. I'm trying to create a new thread with an embedded image from Flickr in the Wildlife forum. I use the Insert Picture icon for embedding the image and paste my URL. When I try to preview the post, the image doesn't show. Instead, what appears to be a missing image icon is displayed. I've confirmed the link is good (was able to reach the photo in a browser not logged into my Flickr account). Have tried both Firefox and Chrome, and doesn't seem to work in either. So, when you embed an image in a post, should that image be shown in the preview of the post?

Thanks.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 17, 2015
    I just checked and if I preview a post in which I embedded an image the image does show. I am using a link from my smugmug site, but the source shouldn't matter. What matters is that the link is to an image and not to the page that the image resides on.

Can you post the link here? Maybe seeing what the link displays will help determine the problem.

--- Denise
  • gatorbehindlensgatorbehindlens Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2015
    Thanks for the reply Denise. I'm trying to embed a link to a picture on Flickr. Here's the link... https://flic.kr/p/xr1wbf

The link came from clicking the share icon on the specific image and choosing Grab Link, which matches up with instructions on the dgrin . I've tried the link in browsers not logged into my Flickr account and it shows fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is on the forum. When I preview the post, instead of the image, I'm definitely getting a broken link image (small icon with slash through the bottom right).

I also tried embedding from Picasaweb/Google Photos and same result on the preview of the post. Here's the Picasa/Google link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TZ_JOucGE5W-3Lnw2Gs0IXoK2HpDUx0LQOBcuJ1NKiY?feat=directlink

Very puzzling. Appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Lisa
    edited August 17, 2015
    Thanks for the reply Denise. I'm trying to embed a link to a picture on Flickr. Here's the link... https://flic.kr/p/xr1wbf

The link came from clicking the share icon on the specific image and choosing Grab Link, which matches up with instructions on the dgrin . I've tried the link in browsers not logged into my Flickr account and it shows fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is on the forum. When I preview the post, instead of the image, I'm definitely getting a broken link image (small icon with slash through the bottom right).

I also tried embedding from Picasaweb/Google Photos and same result on the preview of the post. Here's the Picasa/Google link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/TZ_JOucGE5W-3Lnw2Gs0IXoK2HpDUx0LQOBcuJ1NKiY?feat=directlink

Very puzzling. Appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Lisa
    When I used the Picasa/Google link you supplied with the picture icon and did a preview it showed me a preview of the image.

My initial thought was that the flickr link doesn't work because that isn't a link to a photo, it's a link to the photo within a flickr page. The link you use must be a link to the actual photo by itself, not embedded on a page.
    But - the dgrin FAQ page shows a flickr URL in the same format as the one that you used, not sure what is going on. Here's a link to the Dgrin FAQ entry titled How to Embed an Image in Your Post.

Just to make sure we're doing the same thing, I clicked the icon above the post that looks like an image of a mountain, then I pasted the link you provided into the dialog box. (The same thing could be accomplished by pasting within and tags.

I'm curious, what happens if you try this URL for one of my photos (which I've embedded below) - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Wandering-near-home/Summer-2015/i-sHRNz5J/0/S/201508_XT1_0687L-S.jpg? When you preview the post does the image show?
    201508_XT1_0687L-S.jpg
    Hopefully one of the other moderators who is more familiar with Flickr will jump in as well.

--- Denise
  • gatorbehindlensgatorbehindlens Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2015
    So, I tried your image and that one did show up in the preview. I am doing the same thing you are, clicking on the little button that looks like the mountain (and says insert image when you hover over it), then pasting the link in the box.

I have done some experimentation with both Flickr and Picasa, and was able to dig a little deeper and find a URL for each that will actually work and show the embedded image in a preview. It's harder than it should be, but it does work. Success! I'm surprised that I can't get the Flickr link to work the way it is described in the FAQ. But, it wouldn't surprise me if Flickr has made some kind of change since that was written.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot this!
    edited August 18, 2015
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot this!
    I'm glad I was able to at least point you in a direction that allows you to embed images.

--- Denise