What a fine mess (smugglr with phanfare)

TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited April 11, 2014 in SmugMug Support
So I've given up on phanfare and I'm giving smugmug a try (again).

I used smugglr to import all of my photos but the program is buggy as heck.

After running it 80 times (import, crash, import, crash, and so on) I managed to transfer over my 200+ galleries.

I got my pictures over to smugmug but what a mess. Now I have 208 galleries named

"Main Section"

The gallery Category is the year the photos in the gallery's were taken and the sub cattegory is the phanfare title.

So when I look at my home page I have 200 "Main Section" galleries. Lovely....

Is there any way to fix this? I need to make the subcategory name the Gallery title and I'd like to not have to do it by hand.

Another issue I am having is I can't get captions and keywords that I enter on smugmug to sync back to lightroom using the publish plugin. I've tried just about ever setting and I can get my LR changes to migrate up to smugmug (love that feature) but if I then go into smugmug and enter captions and keywords none of that metadata shows up in my LR catalog. I'd love to have this work, so my anti-LR wife could caption to her hearts content in smugmug.

Thanks!

Comments

• grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    TBT wrote: »

After running it 80 times (import, crash, import, crash, and so on) I managed to transfer over my 200+ galleries.

I got my pictures over to smugmug but what a mess. Now I have 208 galleries named

"Main Section"

The gallery Category is the year the photos in the gallery's were taken and the sub cattegory is the phanfare title.

Is there any way to fix this? I need to make the subcategory name the Gallery title and I'd like to not have to do it by hand.

Another issue I am having is I can't get captions and keywords that I enter on smugmug to sync back to lightroom using the publish plugin. I've tried just about ever setting and I can get my LR changes to migrate up to smugmug (love that feature) but if I then go into smugmug and enter captions and keywords none of that metadata shows up in my LR catalog. I'd love to have this work, so my anti-LR wife could caption to her hearts content in smugmug.

Thanks!

Hi TBT,

Please tell us which is your site.

-Robin
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013

"Main Section"

Thanks!

TBT,

Please email help@Smugmug.com and our Support Heroes will be happy to help you get this squared away.

Michael
  • TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    TBT,

Please email help@Smugmug.com and our Support Heroes will be happy to help you get this squared away.

Michael

Michael

I did as you suggested and according to help@smugmug.com the answer is to suck it up and rename all the galleries one by one by hand (not in those words of course).

Until the smugglr code is fixed anyone transferring galleries from phanfare must be ready to do a lot of extra work compensating for a line or two of bad code....

Here's another user with the same issue that may explain it better than I did:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1861094&postcount=267
  • akcorcoranakcorcoran Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2014
    Hi there - I'm a long, long, long time Phanfare user and have just opened myself up to the idea of switching (again - I seem to do it every few years but there's lots of inertia involved!)

I wanted to check in and see if you were happy with the change? I have about 100 GB of photos and video to bring over so I would dread the bug you've mentioned here, but overall, I just wanted to hear if you're happy with your decision to move. Thanks -

"Main Section"

Thanks!