2014 Retina iMac is CRAWLING with LR5

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited August 30, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
I work on a 2014 iMac Retina Display. RAM has been upgraded to 24gb (from Crucial.com, as I understand), and I'm running LR5, current updates all the way to the release of LR6. HD is 1TB, internal.

The computer is fast overall. Programs open and close as if they were on a SSD, but when I try to work in LR it is absolutely agonizing. By slow, I mean click the crop button, watch the beachball for 6-10 seconds. This happens whether LR is in full screen, small screen, and whether I'm using JPEG or RAW files.

I can grab my 2012 MacbookPro w/ 16gb RAM and run circles around this giant iMac.

I've expanded the LR cache to 10gb. The HD is at less than 50% capacity used, and at this point I'm at a loss for what to do. Catalogs have been optimized, and have between 4-7k images per catalog. I read that Adobe recommends no more than 10k images per catalog.

Any insight anyone here could offer would be greatly appreciated. I do turn n' burn 45 min beach sessions at a resort on Maui, where it's all about the presets and fast workflow. Editing should NOT be taking double the shoot time for this. Other locations with identical setups are lightning fast.

Thank you in advance,

Jonathon

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 29, 2015
    That seems to be a fairly common complaint:

Google search for:

2014 imac retina display lightroom 5 slow
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 30, 2015
    Not sure about a 10K catalog size, mine is 120 K and I do not have that kind of slow response and I am running a 4K monitor on a MacPro.

I do know that LR is much faster if you do not develop images with one's entire catalog selected, but just a limited selection of a few dates, while in the Develop Module.

I never see a beach ball while cropping, even on very large multi frame ( 10-20 frames ) panos.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    Thank you both for the input. The link I found from the search pasted above was so helpful. Turns out, Adobe fixed the issue with Retina compatibility in LR6. Guess it's time to upgrade.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 30, 2015
    LR6 ( CC ) is definitely faster and smoother than LR5 was - I will second that; it was one of the reasons I upgraded, and the change was pretty dramatic, Jonabeth.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin