Options

Noise Removal

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited June 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I don't normally push equipment, software, or anything else. But I have to say that based on a review I read on Luminous Landscape, I tried, and then bought Topaz DeNoise4, and it blows away anything else I've tried - although the noise control feature in the new Lightroom 3 is pretty good. But DeNoise4 is, I think, much better than Noise Ninja, and easier to use - with the caveat that it is slow. But if you don't have one of the latest high-end Canon's or Nikons that are virtually noise free, I'd definitely check it out.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    Interesting. I have been using Noiseware myself, but with the latest noise reduction improvements in ACR/LR I find that I don't need it nearly as often. Can you post a couple of 100% crop before/after comparisons of a section with fine detail? For me, that's the acid test of noise reduction--get rid of the noise but not make the subjects look like they're made of plastic. Within reason, I'd gladly wait longer to get a better result.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Interesting. I have been using Noiseware myself, but with the latest noise reduction improvements in ACR/LR I find that I don't need it nearly as often. Can you post a couple of 100% crop before/after comparisons of a section with fine detail? For me, that's the acid test of noise reduction--get rid of the noise but not make the subjects look like they're made of plastic. Within reason, I'd gladly wait longer to get a better result.

Will Do. You certainly lose some detail, but you don't get that plastic look. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thanks, B.D., for the heads-up about Topaz DeNoise4. It is truly effective....moreso than anything else I've tried....and, on top of that, it's very easy to use.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Thanks, B.D., for the heads-up about Topaz DeNoise4. It is truly effective....moreso than anything else I've tried....and, on top of that, it's very easy to use.

Tom

You're quite welcome. I was really stunned when I tried it, figuring that the review had to be exaggerated...but nomwink.gif.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Thanks, I've been looking for something that works well for compact cameras.