5 hours in Zion

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited April 18, 2015 in Landscapes
Had an overnight in St. George, UT last week so I decided to rent a car and go straight from the airport to Zion until the sun went down. It was my first time visiting Zion and all I can say is "wow"!

It is a big place and photo opportunities truly exist around every corner, almost overwhelming at first. Used it as a scouting mission and practiced with the XT1 and my new Lee filter setup. Looking forward to hitting it again, slowing down and getting some more dramatic weather. The blue skies were nice, but boring.

Looks like I'm heading back to St. George next week, but might head north to Kolob Canyons instead to check those out.

C&C always welcome!

Photo Lego Dude inspecting the views and the Lee Filter setup.
11059360_10206353628267547_2258980269317844409_n.jpg?oh=748d67f8932d2a3b60e39c647fe118b7&oe=55707798

7 shot pano, stitched in PS
i-pDHx88z-L.jpg

Looking east from the Emerald Pools trails, 7 shot HDR with ND Grad. I was actually disappointed in the Emerald Pools themselves, perhaps it was the lack of water but kinda boring to me.
i-pQ59jw4-L.jpg

Views everywhere!
i-BFmTsPp-L.jpg

Should have used my new Lee filter here vs my old ND4 which has a heavy red color cast. Corrected in post, but the mosquitoes were feasting on me so I was in a hurry ;)
i-n3H2jVV-L.jpg

The famous view from the Canyon Bridge of the Watchman.
i-gRc8qDG-L.jpg

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Pretty good variety for your limited time. You were really stuck on the floor with time only to make the quick journey to the emerald pools which are not as impressive as the rest of the park.

I spent 4 days in Zion and still only scratched the surface. My next visit will be a full week.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Last shot is super! When I was there, I didn't appreciate that POV enough.....it is from the bridge to the entrance......just took couple of hand held on my way to bar.....later on that appeared to be one of the best POV.
    #3 is cool as well!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Next to the last is my favorite, pretty and serene. The first one is hilarious and a great intro! Appreciate the variety in landscape and color.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 1, 2015
    You seemed to have got more in 5 hours than I did with several days. Nice shots!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Pretty good variety for your limited time. You were really stuck on the floor with time only to make the quick journey to the emerald pools which are not as impressive as the rest of the park.

I spent 4 days in Zion and still only scratched the surface. My next visit will be a full week.

Agreed the Emerald Pools are a bit of a bust, plus since it was a Saturday lots of tourists to deal with on the easy hike.

A week would be nice, one of these I'm going to to a mega SW road trip and will have more time to spend in places like this.
    edited April 1, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Last shot is super! When I was there, I didn't appreciate that POV enough.....it is from the bridge to the entrance......just took couple of hand held on my way to bar.....later on that appeared to be one of the best POV.
    #3 is cool as well!

Thanks! Funny you mention that as I had parked near there and figured I'd catch it on my way out and almost didn't set the tripod up again but figured why not. Glad I did!
    edited April 1, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    Next to the last is my favorite, pretty and serene. The first one is hilarious and a great intro! Appreciate the variety in landscape and color.

Thanks! Yeah, the lego guy goes everywhere with me - he provides good artistic direction and is a good drinking buddy in a pinch ;)
    edited April 1, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You seemed to have got more in 5 hours than I did with several days. Nice shots!

Laughing.gif...I drove/ran/hiked like a mad man to get those shots. I think my pics suffered from being in a bit of rushed mentality so I can't wait to get back & slow down.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2015
    5 hours in Zion
    Great set of images, especially given your condensed time frame and time per site allotment.

If you ever have the opportunity to go in the winter, grab it. Zion is spectacular after a new snow as are the ice flows (I know ice doesn't flow but, couldn't come up with a better word) maybe better, frozen waterfalls, that form throughout the park. Pack appropriately and heed weather warnings.

Again, great images. Thanks for sharing!!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 4, 2015
    Pretty impressive for a quick scouting mission, Nick. clap.gif

I love Photo Lego Dude! rolleyes1.gif
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    Boring skies, but you made the best of capturing some great images in a limited time frame. Awesome job. Looks like you still had some great light to work with.
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    The next to last, I guess, is the emerald pool. Beautiful color and the scene is surreal. My fav for sure. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    edited April 18, 2015
    Thanks Boco!

(I'm slowly learning Dutch through Boco) thumb.gif