Options

Bar

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited June 16, 2010 in Street and Documentary
876456245_CFsky-L-1.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I get the attraction of the color shot, but think it would be better in B&W.

the green just takes away all my interest, AJMHO
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    I get the attraction of the color shot, but think it would be better in B&W.

the green just takes away all my interest, AJMHO

Actually, I would argue that what this has going for it is the color and the light - and it works very well. In black and white it would just be a guy behind a bar. Not a particularly interesting guy, or a particularly interesting bar. But with the light and color, it becomes something special. JMHO. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif with BD. In fact, I think this is generally true of bar shots. The combination of saturated neon colors and low light is usually very attractive.
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    I also agree with BD - the darkness adds to the mood. I can't help thinking if some customers on the stools would ad to this shot or would that be another shot.
    ED
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Nope still think B&W would be better and moodier if processed with that in mind.

And then again I just realized I don't care much for neon green rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    B&W version. Personally I prefer the colour as to me it's what makes the photo stand out.

901891526_HuwhZ-L.jpg
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    IMO the b&W shot has one - important - point, it takes the eye directly to the bar man without any wandering. He tells the story.
    ED
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    B&W version. Personally I prefer the colour as to me it's what makes the photo stand out.

901891526_HuwhZ-S.jpg

Big thanks for taking the time to do a redo, much clearer (to me) that way.

Ok in B&W it is uninteresting compared to the color.
    You are drawn to bartender but other then that........... ne_nau.gif

If I had to choose now, the color version is a stronger image
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    No problem and thanks for taking the time to comment thumb.gif

If there were people sitting at the bar I'd be much more tempted to convert to B&W as I think they would then become the main focal point rather than the bar/bartender. As it stands I think it works just fine in colour :D
    Syncopation