Basic Organization Question

Maggie9480Maggie9480 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 2, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi there,

I'm just starting out on SmugMug and am in the beginning stages of creating a family photo website. I would like to organize my photos chronologically, rather than by event. I'm having some problems doing this with the folder/gallery set up.

Currently, I have year folders on my homepage with the following basic hierarchy

January
February

and so on.

Inside each month I have one gallery called "Everyday", where all of my non-specific photos of kids or random shots are kept. Then I have other galleries or folders with specific events.

I would love to be able to have thumbnails of my galleries and folders ordered chronologically, rather than being separated into their own sections. I am not loving the extra click into the everyday gallery. I'd rather just have a gallery of, say, all of February photos that also, chronologically, includes galleries of specific events. Is this possible?

Is anyone willing to share their family photo site structure with me?

Comments

• jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2015
    Hi - Question - would perhaps the 'sort by date modified' in the organizer help solve the above ? You can also create pages on your site displaying different galleries and folders (such as a page that displays "Everyday".
    Just a thought - welcome to SmugMug :) jerry
  • Maggie9480Maggie9480 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2015
    jerryr wrote: »
    Hi - Question - would perhaps the 'sort by date modified' in the organizer help solve the above ? You can also create pages on your site displaying different galleries and folders (such as a page that displays "Everyday".
    Just a thought - welcome to SmugMug :) jerry

Thanks for your response! So, I am currently using the sort by date modified option, and this does give me the folders and galleries sorted by date, but still separated. I've attached a screen shot to show you what I'm working with.

The Folder at the top contains 3 galleries (3 separate birthday party events that fall under the Ellen's birthday category). Then the galleries below of course contain the appropriate photos and then I have this random 'Everyday' folder, which is just thrown in there somewhere.

I'm ok with keeping the Everyday, but I would really love to somehow combine the folders and the galleries in one grouping and order them by date. So, in this case, the Ellen's #5 Birthday folder would fall after Iditarod, and in the perfect world Everyday would be set apart.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks! :)
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2015
    Hi - within folders you can place both galleries and other folders - did you try that to see what happens ?
    edited July 1, 2015
    jerryr wrote: »
    Hi - within folders you can place both galleries and other folders - did you try that to see what happens ?

Yes, so ... March is a folder and within that are three galleries and then one folder. And that's what gives me the configuration you see on the screenshot. But I was hoping to somehow combine the folder and gallery thumbnails in the same area, so that they might follow in the right chronological order. Right now it appears to me that galleries and folders must always be separated on the page.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited July 1, 2015
    Maggie9480 wrote: »
    Yes, so ... March is a folder and within that are three galleries and then one folder. And that's what gives me the configuration you see on the screenshot. But I was hoping to somehow combine the folder and gallery thumbnails in the same area, so that they might follow in the right chronological order. Right now it appears to me that galleries and folders must always be separated on the page.
    I haven't seen a way to customize the display of a folder containing multiple element types to display as you want; I'd love to have a standard folder display that way too. It is possible to get what you want if you are willing to construct the page yourself. Drag a Folders, Galleries, and Pages block to the page, change the selection to Items I Choose, and select the elements in the order in which you want them shown.

I set up a test page on my site as a demo. This page - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Test/n-B8G2q contains a Folders, Galleries and Pages block that contains a gallery, a folder (in the middle), and another gallery. (Note that this is a page I use for experimenting - it will contain with example until I need to experiment further, so take a look in the near future.)
    i-NNFcDp7-XL.jpg
    i-bdDbVDq-XL.jpg
    --- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2015
    Go to the folder that contain the galleries and folders (sub-folders) you want to put in order.
    If, in the right flyout there's no "Just this Folder". Click "+ Make This Folder Custom"
    Then
    Make sure "Just this Folder" is highlighted on right flyout.

Delete the folder and gallery boxes if you see them. (Does not delete anything in the folder only the view port)
    This will only hide the boxes from this page. All other folders will remain the same.
    Drag a "Folders, Galleries, and Pages" block to the page.
    In the "Items I Choose" box browse to this folder and select the order you want shown.

This will insure that this folder page is the parent in the breadcrumb going back up the tree.
    If you used a "Page" you'd lose the breadcrumb for going back up the tree.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited July 2, 2015
    Ohhh yes!!!

Thanks to you both -- I will be giving this a shot tonight. Definitely looks like what I'm trying to achieve!
    edited July 2, 2015
    Thanks again for the tips. This is just what I needed.