Disable right click tool tips

chris457chris457 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 29, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
So, I can turn right click protection on and off by gallery, but I have not found a way to shut it off site wide. My goal is to have normal, right click behaviour throughout the site on all pages and galleries.

I would like to allow my visitors to right click on a folder or gallery link and have normal right click behaviour (so they can, say, right click and open it in a new tab).

Best I've done so far is hide the tooltip using CSS, but now right click just does nothing at all. It also doesn't seem consistent. Right click works on recent photos, and recent galleries, but not on my folder links.

CSS Used:

.sm-user-ui .sm-tooltip, .sm-user-ui.sm-tooltip {
visibility: hidden;
}

Possible? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Here's my "browse" page. I want to be able to right click on those folder (category) linked images!
http://www.worldlikethis.com/browse

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 24, 2014
    I've moved your thread from the Legacy SmugMug forum to the New SmugMug forum since it appears you are using new smug.

I'm seeing the same thing on my site. I have right click turned off on all galleries - but from the browse or folder pages a right click results in showing my custom right click message (which I left in place when I turned right click off on the galleries).

It seems like there should be a setting to control right click behavior on folders but I haven't been able to find one.

I would recommend removing your code and letting your right click message show - I think I prefer to see a message of some sort when I right click on something rather than seeing nothing. Ideally right click should work properly though.

--- Denise
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    I'm seeing the same thing on my site. I have right click turned off on all galleries - but from the browse or folder pages a right click results in showing my custom right click message (which I left in place when I turned right click off on the galleries).

It seems like there should be a setting to control right click behavior on folders but I haven't been able to find one.
    --- Denise

SmugMug has explained that this is done on purpose for performance reasons. Instead of checking if each gallery in a folder has right click protection enabled or disabled (which would take time), they just assume it's always enabled. Since some of us don't use right click protection anywhere on our sites because it's fairly pointless and annoying, it would be nice if there was a per-folder or global setting for right click protection in folders.

Dave
  • chris457chris457 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    Yes. Just a global off setting, or override is all I'm looking for. I honestly think right click protection is a bit misguided in the first place. Saving the page immediately gets around it and downloads all images anyhow.

But that aside, the half protected, half not is really annoying. Basically right now, users can right click and do whatever they want on my images, but they cannot right click on folder links, which will just annoy them (it certainly annoys me) as the first thing I do on many links is right-click, and open in new tab.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    I can't for the life in me see why RC is on for folders. What are they trying to do? Keep folks from copying thumbnails?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • chris457chris457 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I can't for the life in me see why RC is on for folders. What are they trying to do? Keep folks from copying thumbnails?

Yeah. Exactly. The one place you would for sure want to allow your users to right click on, and you can't.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    Allen wrote: »

Yes, because in newsmug, those thumbnails might actually be larger display versions (larger than what smugmug calls thumbnail size). But right click protection confuses users and gives many people a false sense of security. It needs to be optional... everywhere. This is one more case of smugmug just saying, "eh, good enough."

Dave
    edited November 25, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    But right click protection confuses users and gives many people a false sense of security. It needs to be optional... everywhere.
    Agreed.

I allow right click on photos that show up to X3Large and viewers can't right click on folders? That makes no sense!

I'm still amazed at the people who believe that right click protection protects anything.

--- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 27, 2014
    Hmm... this is annoying. I'll add it to my list of things to bring up when we have the time
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited November 29, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    Hmm... this is annoying. I'll add it to my list of things to bring up when we have the time
    Thanks Aaron.
    I'd love to see this behavior changed.

--- Denise