Marquee selection size problem

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited January 22, 2015 in Finishing School
I recorded a simple action using the rectangle marquis tool in Photoshop CC on one of my photos, to create a frame/border, by adding a stroke, inverting it, using content aware to fill, and deselect, which gives me a nice little frame.

I created it on an image of ice on moss, and it did just fine.

I then opened a second image (and third and fourth different image) and ran the action, and instead of using the stroke selection for the frame in the same position, it enlarged it and went out of the image by about 1000%! The selection I make is a touch in from the top left and dragged out to a touch in from bottom right, which is the point I add my stroke (3 pixels in size) creating a rectangle inside the image (have a look at the macro thread of the ice photo to see where it goes and what it looks like).

Any thoughts?

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    Can't find your "ice" photo in that thread or via your posts ... so I'm not sure what the effect is. The comments below may well be irrelevant as a result.
    I suspect the macro may be recording the actual pixel size of the marquee (???)
    Could you just do an inside stroke of the layer, then select the stroke > invert > do your fill (??????)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    Sorry Ace - here's one that worked:

1080ice3.jpg

And one that didn't, both same format...

1080smalllady04.jpg

The sizes look different from the pixels it was saved at.

My action is apparently "poor" and needs a fixer to fix it... :)

Paul.

edited January 21, 2015
    Try this method for marquee sizing so that it is independent of the actual size of each image.
    Select marquee tool > Ctrl+A > "Select" menu and choose "Transform Border" > in the options bar change the width and height to your choice (eg say 90%) > confirm (click on tick)
    That will result in your marquee selection now being brought in to X% of the original image size automatically - it won't depend on a specific pixel dimension

Then continue to work through your steps that you outlined above.

Hope it works for what you want to do!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2015
    I've got it cracked now thumb.gif

After a lot of head scratching headscratch.gif and a few questions around, finally it's all clicked into place and the action works on every image regardless of size and orientation! clap.gif

1080harvest.jpg

1080folly0a.jpg

1080bluetit01b.jpg

Paul.

edited January 22, 2015
    Congratulations!!! I'm sure you will get a lot of use and pleasure from your hard efforts