Jones Beach Air Show

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Well, I managed to survive another air show! We have an annual air show on Long Island on Memorial Day weekend, but I'm not one of those people who are satisfied going down to the beach one day to watch the show. No, it's a full week event for me, spending days at Republic Airport, photographing the various performers coming and going from a variety of vantage points. It turns into a week of great airplanes, outstanding performances, and spending time with good friends as we try to capture it all.

We started out with the USAF Thunderbirds arriving...

540701014_g5whQ-L.jpg

540701838_mdQwN-L.jpg

A special treat this year was an appearance by the Canadian Snowbirds. This was their first local appearance in some 20 years, and they didn't disappoint!

544992506_9CL2z-L.jpg

543338550_kq4cN-L.jpg

Chris Baranaskas made his return to air show flying at the show. Chris and his father Bob appeared at many airshows, Chris in this P-51 Mustang and Bob in a P-40 Warhawk. Bob was killed in the crash of his P-40 in April, while preparing for air show season. I've know both Chris and Bob for several years and you couldn't find nicer people. This was his first show appearance since his father's death and Chris made us proud this weekend.

543966180_iZPdK-L.jpg

Bill Reesman and the Red Bull MiG-17 returned this year.

542031816_BF6C4-L.jpg

I did venture down to the beach on Friday to catch practice. You get to see most of the performers, but without the massive crowds that the weekend brings. Here's an F/A-18F making a high speed pass on a humid afternoon.

543292477_hXvey-L.jpg

The Thunderbirds heading out to the beach.

542508578_8bpoq-L.jpg

American Airpower Museum's L-39 departing for the beach.

544990889_AJRtH-L.jpg

543338825_TBF7p-L.jpg

539156390_SL66s-L.jpg

No, Blue Thunder isn't the only helicopter that can perform loops - Chuck Aaron and his Red Bull BO-105 can also.

543318454_AESkf-L.jpg

Much too soon it was over. Monday saw the Thunderbirds pack up and head to their next performance. We were treated to a C-17 arriving to pick up their support crew and equipment.

546108867_LDaZg-L.jpg

546106409_EPyg7-L.jpg

I'm left with a little bit of sunburn, about 4,000 images to sort through, and a ton of great memories. While the airplanes are the stars here, it's the people that make the show special.

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    The American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport hosts many of the air show aircraft. For the past three years, they have been kind enough to allow us to bring a group of photographers in after hours on Saturday to photograph the aircraft on the ramp for "History Under the Stars"...

545047091_2yGTh-L.jpg

545093990_ZnMT3-L.jpg

545093233_mKjvq-L.jpg

545051996_3UaB3-L.jpg

545047868_CwRML-L.jpg

A special word of thanks goes to the folks at the American Airpower Museum - they allowed us to roam the ramp, capturing our images, after a long day of dealing with air show aircraft and visitors. And I can't forget my good friend, and fellow SmugMugger, Fred Miller, without whom this night would not be possible. Fred and I always have great adventures, and I wouldn't be the photographer I am today without Fred around to challenge me.

Many more photos from both the air show and this special night shoot can be found on my SM site
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Hey Moose,

Real nice work here. There's nothing like a show of this caliber to get the blood flowing, is there?

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Very cool! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Real nice shots. Nothing like having that kind of access!! thumb.gif
    Blending The Arts!
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Great set ....... Thanks for sharing.......clap.gif azzaro
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 26, 2009
    That Redbull MIG is spectacular as are the other "under the stars" shots--I really like the look you've achieved with the night shots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Excellent stuff! thumb.gif
  • Travism82Travism82 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I love the Warthog photo, and the underside of the thunderbird! You must have quite the lens!
    Equipment: Canon 40D and Powershot SD750. Lenses: 18-55mm, 28-135mm and 70-300mm.

Smugmug Account: http://travism.smugmug.com
  • LightPlane PhotoLightPlane Photo Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Scha-WING!!! Incredibly cool! Very well done :)

Were these aerials done with a Canon 100-400mm L IS???
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Fine photography. Just excellent work.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifwings.gif
    Michael
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Absolutely outstanding...every single one of 'em. bowdown.gifbow

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words. The Jones Beach show is the highlight of my year for aviation photography. It's a busy week, lots of long hours, but when I see what I end up with, it's all worth it.
    Were these aerials done with a Canon 100-400mm L IS???
    Yes they were. It's my standard "aviation" lens, I really like the results I get with it.

Just one more to add - this may be my favorite shot of the week.

542031389_6U2Si-L.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    Well, I managed to survive another air show! We have an annual air show on Long Island on Memorial Day weekend, but I'm not one of those people who are satisfied going down to the beach one day to watch the show. No, it's a full week event for me, spending days at Republic Airport, photographing the various performers coming and going from a variety of vantage points. It turns into a week of great airplanes, outstanding performances, and spending time with good friends as we try to capture it all.

Much too soon it was over. Monday saw the Thunderbirds pack up and head to their next performance. We were treated to a C-17 arriving to pick up their support crew and equipment.

I'm left with a little bit of sunburn, about 4,000 images to sort through, and a ton of great memories. While the airplanes are the stars here, it's the people that make the show special.

These are awesome Moose clap.gif Airshows are exciting events to attend even if your not there to take photos, the atmosphere and the visual displays .... but if you are there to take photos it's definitely full of non stop photo opportunities.

They're all fantastic clap.gifclap.gif love the ones you've taken as the sun was going down, great colour in the sky.

The Formation flying is always a favourite with me thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin