Options

Cube Melt

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited March 9, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, we currently have 'Sculptures by the Sea' on at Cottesloe beach here in WA. This one was my favourite - Cube Melt by Hugh McLachlan from Tasmania. I have tried to isolate the sculpture but cannot decide which one is best (or neither!). I like having the beautiful blue ocean in the background which supports the blue sky, but the second does isolate the cube as intended. Any suggestions?

16761443581_afec714bd7_b.jpg

16575019078_df5d0fd662_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in - C&C always appreciated.
Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited March 9, 2015
    Wonderful sculpture. I love the reflections in the mirror-like surface. Not sure that it matters much as far as isolation--the work stands out from the background in both pics. Personally, I prefer the first, as the visible water emphasizes the melting. Good work.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Definitely the one with ocean. That gives mind something new to comprehend and makes it unique. Even if you gave no description, one would think about what is going on.
    There are many shots of ice cubes and strawberries being dunked in glass or milk or cubes melting and one would not think that much about the shot, even if they liked it, without the ocean.
    So I guess I prefer first! ;o)