Ansel Land

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited February 10, 2016 in Landscapes
Never until now have I seriously tried to photograph Ansel Adams land - Yosemite.
Too iconic, too difficult as elements don't align, too run over by people and never had any luck. However, I am facing some uncertainty going forward and it would be a shame if one lived this close to this heaven and thought of oneself as photographer and never tried.

Below are my attempts. All feedback, especially criticism is heartily cherished.

1) Ansel land
1W7A2398-X3.jpg

2) El Dorado
1W7A1854-X3.jpg

3) Guardians of the Dome
1W7A2112-2-X3.jpg

4) Frozen
1W7A2166-Edit-2-X3.jpg

5) Icefall
1W7A2208-2-X3.jpg

6) White Diamonds
1W7A2241-Edit-X3.jpg

7) Weeds
1W7A2262-X3.jpg

8) Tree of souls
1W7A2281-X3.jpg

9) Gates of the Valley
1W7A2545-X3.jpg

10) Boulder Courtship
1W7A2683-X3.jpg

11) Ice River
1W7A2709-X3.jpg

12) Bridge to Terebithia
1W7A2765-X3.jpg

13) Couple of Drops
1W7A1453-X3.jpg

14) Winter Wonderland
1W7A1263-X3.jpg

15) Illusion
1W7A2792-X3.jpg

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    Wow, Taz, lots to love about this series! I am as always wowed by the beauty of your images! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif My particular favorites are numbers 6 (love the bumpy snow meadow) & 15 (who can resist mist over the Merced River?).

Since you specifically asked for criticism, I will offer mine...
    - on numbers 3 & 5 I wish you'd straighted the trees in the foreground at least a little bit (I love the LR "upright" tool)
    - perhaps it's my monitor but for my taste I wish the exposures had been a teeny bit lighter (or perhaps that wouldn't be so Ansel-like...???) - maybe bump the whites up a bit?
    - photo number 2... I love the beautiful sunrise reflection in the water but I wonder if it would have been slightly more effective had you raised the camera just a bit or shot from a lower position so that there was less foreground in the picture and slightly more tree - perhaps using the line of the riverbank as the upper third of the picture? (Do you get what I mean?)

Hats off to you - these are fantastic!

Cheers, Sara
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    Taz. this are excellent bowdown.gif and I have been waiting a long time for you to pull out your B&W talents for it seems like a long time. I personally like the "fish eye" effect in #;s 3 and 5 but I agree that it's a matter of individual taste as Sara discussed.
    As far as critiques I'll make one observation...I think #13... the water fall shot... needs to be rotated slightly clockwise ...but please correct me if I'm wrong. If you forced me...put bamboo under my nails etc..to pick a favorite, it would be #9...just a fantastic shot! I hope you get a frame around that one...it deserves to be on your office wall.

But let me just leave you with this...these are magical, well done, eye catching, breathtaking shots!
    You are DA MAN! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    I'm somewhat conflicted by this series, Taz. Overall, I feel there is an overriding sense of foreboding that permeates these shots. A gentle touch of brightening the luminance could provide relief there. I do recognize that my opinion on this point is very subjective....others may well feel differently.

Sara had some good points, particularly regarding the distortion of the trees in #s 3 and 5. There's several shots I would love to see in color but that seems to be in contrast with your approach with this series.

#s 6, 8, 9 and 15 are the standout shots for me. As usual, my friend, my hats off to you for superior work.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 30, 2015
    Looks like someone had a good Christmas. nod.gif

Awesome set, my friend. Just wow. Way to get such solid comps with no footprints. Conversions and exposures look spot-on to me. I'm not good enough with B&W to even attempt these. But I will be getting to Yosemite soon with all this snow. Thanks for the inspiration. thumb.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    My first and general impression ... I wish they were mine.

(I hope the uncertainess works out for the best.)
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    Wow, Taz, lots to love about this series! I am as always wowed by the beauty of your images! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif My particular favorites are numbers 6 (love the bumpy snow meadow) & 15 (who can resist mist over the Merced River?).

Since you specifically asked for criticism, I will offer mine...
    - on numbers 3 & 5 I wish you'd straighted the trees in the foreground at least a little bit (I love the LR "upright" tool)
    - perhaps it's my monitor but for my taste I wish the exposures had been a teeny bit lighter (or perhaps that wouldn't be so Ansel-like...???) - maybe bump the whites up a bit?
    - photo number 2... I love the beautiful sunrise reflection in the water but I wonder if it would have been slightly more effective had you raised the camera just a bit or shot from a lower position so that there was less foreground in the picture and slightly more tree - perhaps using the line of the riverbank as the upper third of the picture? (Do you get what I mean?)

Hats off to you - these are fantastic!

Cheers, Sara

Hi Sara, can't say how much I appreciate the valuable feedback! Straightening the perspective is one of the things I need to learn/work on. There was some natural bend in the tress too but I could have tried pano with vertical shots instead.

In terms of exposure, I tried my best to have some pop but not blow out. The snow is very delicate and the sky gets too hot. I was leaning towards darkening wherever I can find the darks and that probably went over some. I am glad you pointed out.

As for the reflection shot, believe me I wanted El-Cap as well as its reflection but the light was SO CONTRASTY and sky offered nothing. So in Yosemite the tops blow out with harsh light and there is utter darkness at bottom. Since I was desperate to want to score a reflection and secured the PRIME SPOT, this is what I thought came close to working. If someday I catch it with slight better conditions, then what you described is what I would have gotten!

Cheers Sara!
    edited December 30, 2015
    Taz. this are excellent bowdown.gif and I have been waiting a long time for you to pull out your B&W talents for it seems like a long time. I personally like the "fish eye" effect in #;s 3 and 5 but I agree that it's a matter of individual taste as Sara discussed.
    As far as critiques I'll make one observation...I think #13... the water fall shot... needs to be rotated slightly clockwise ...but please correct me if I'm wrong. If you forced me...put bamboo under my nails etc..to pick a favorite, it would be #9...just a fantastic shot! I hope you get a frame around that one...it deserves to be on your office wall.

But let me just leave you with this...these are magical, well done, eye catching, breathtaking shots!
    You are DA MAN! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Take care,

Wayne

Wayne, I can only say thanks from bottom of my heart! The Yosemite falls is #13........the shape of the mountain maybe adding to tilting sensation. If you come to CA, I would love to show you that I got it right!bowdown.gif

Cheers Wayne and thanks kindly!
    edited December 30, 2015
    I'm somewhat conflicted by this series, Taz. Overall, I feel there is an overriding sense of foreboding that permeates these shots. A gentle touch of brightening the luminance could provide relief there. I do recognize that my opinion on this point is very subjective....others may well feel differently.

Sara had some good points, particularly regarding the distortion of the trees in #s 3 and 5. There's several shots I would love to see in color but that seems to be in contrast with your approach with this series.

#s 6, 8, 9 and 15 are the standout shots for me. As usual, my friend, my hats off to you for superior work.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom! I am working on colors!:D

I ams surprised by shots appearing dim, because I was SURE that I would be called out for blowing out the whites and highlights. I had to tone them down over and over again because LR kept flagging them as blown out. Normally I over-expose to the right and have my histogram in far-right corner. Here, that was not even possible Almost every shot was what camera suggested as NOMINAL exposure, and still it was easy to blow out the snow and lose details completely. I was to the point where I was thinking that for first time in my life I should have under-exposed by third of an stop.

There is plenty of room for me to kick up the whites and I would certainly go over these to see which ones can be brightened. As I told Sara, my plan was to darken the darks......to make whites pop more, but I probably over did it.

Whenever I hear from you, it is a joyous day for me! Cheers Tom!
    edited December 30, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Looks like someone had a good Christmas. nod.gif

Awesome set, my friend. Just wow. Way to get such solid comps with no footprints. Conversions and exposures look spot-on to me. I'm not good enough with B&W to even attempt these. But I will be getting to Yosemite soon with all this snow. Thanks for the inspiration. thumb.gif

Hey bro, these would be my suggestions and I hope you score.

1) There are literally millions of photogs out there and in Yosemite prime spots are few, especially in Tunnel View and Valley View. One time in 5 degree temperature I drove on icy roads and got to spot full hour and half BEFORE sunrise and there was row of 20 photographers who had already occupied the best spots. There are people sleeping in freezing cars. So you need to account for it.

My suggestion would be that if you want to get Valley view (only 10-12 parking spots or they tow your car) get there 2 hours before sunrise or sunset and to the right of the GIANT LOG are the best foreground spots.

2) Everything is big, wide, and vertical so your go to lens would be your widest lens. Knowing you, you probably already have 11-24 in your arsenal.:D Only when you do details shots like boulders etc. do you need reach.

3) With your shooting technique the extreme contrasty light may not be issue as you can blend, but then again it might be. The tops are almost 10 stops brighter than the bottom, so plan accordingly, especially if you don't get help in sky. If sky is BLAH then foreground will be your only savior and leave as much of it out as possible.

Thanks truly and Goodluck bro!bowdown.gif
    edited December 30, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »

I am moved! Thanks Gary on both accounts!!thumb.gifthumb
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

and

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    You did good! My favorite is #6. I would remove the "hanging branches" on the top on #14.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    Belatedly, I think you did quite well, and better than I would have done. The distortion and apparent lack of straightness in some of the first few bother me some, but from number 6 on I love them. Number 9 rings my bell for some reason. Terrific work!
    edited December 31, 2015
    You did good! My favorite is #6. I would remove the "hanging branches" on the top on #14.

Thanks Mike!wings.gif
    edited December 31, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Belatedly, I think you did quite well, and better than I would have done. The distortion and apparent lack of straightness in some of the first few bother me some, but from number 6 on I love them. Number 9 rings my bell for some reason. Terrific work!

Thanks Don! Can't say that enough! I have to figure out the perspective fix....when I try it changes the comp and kind of reduces the shot....so have to work on it a bit!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 31, 2015
    It's an all-star show, but #6 stands out for me clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif. I really liked the color of #2 as well. Out of curiosity, I tried to remove the blue cast of the snow, which was white one assumes, not blue. Making it more "realistic" destroyed the image completely, IMO. Interesting...
    edited December 31, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    It's an all-star show, but #6 stands out for me clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif. I really liked the color of #2 as well. Out of curiosity, I tried to remove the blue cast of the snow, which was white one assumes, not blue. Making it more "realistic" destroyed the image completely, IMO. Interesting...

Thank you, thank you, thank you Richard!clap.gif
    The blue-cast is from the pond being in complete shadow without a whiff of light, which was way up top, and harsh. The light hitting El-Capitan is first light, so it didn't occur to me to try and correct it as when I was there that is how it appeared. I will play with it to see if something can be done!

Happy New year to you on other side of the pond!!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 31, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I will play with it to see if something can be done!

Happy New year to you on other side of the pond!!

No, no, don't touch it! It has a blue cast, for sure, but that doesn't mean it's broken. It's a lot prettier that way.

Happy new year to you as well, and to all!
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2015
    WOW, WOW, WOW! You have some superb images here. I love 6. As Sara mentioned, I would brighten the whites a bit. I really like the way 2 is composed. The natural "selective color" is magical. I appreciate your Yosemite shooting tips, too. Hope to get there this winter.
    Bryan
  • Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2015
    Outstanding!!!

All of them!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2015
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2016
    Great series! 1,6,9,11, and 15 are all really great.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited January 1, 2016
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    WOW, WOW, WOW! You have some superb images here. I love 6. As Sara mentioned, I would brighten the whites a bit. I really like the way 2 is composed. The natural "selective color" is magical. I appreciate your Yosemite shooting tips, too. Hope to get there this winter.
    Bryan

Thanks Bryan!! If I can be of any help before your trip, do ping me! Cheers!
    Outstanding!!!

All of them!

Thanks Carl!! Yay!
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Splendid work!

Many thanks FlyNavy!!!
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Great series! 1,6,9,11, and 15 are all really great.

Thanks Aaron!!
    I took your advice and kept clarity and sharpness low! bowdown.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! Lets go get some great shots!
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    Awesome set.
    edited January 26, 2016
    joe-bob wrote: »
    Awesome set.

Thsnks Joe-Bob! wings.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    Slow clap...clap...clap...clap. yeah the only thing a others have mentioned is bumpup exposures just a touch (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 stop). Brilliant stuff!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 26, 2016
    Qarik wrote: »
    Slow clap...clap...clap...clap. yeah the only thing a others have mentioned is bumpup exposures just a touch (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 stop). Brilliant stuff!

Thanks Daniel!bowdown.gif
    I overdid the darks..........have to rework them!
    Your teachings at work!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    I somehow missed these on the first go around. A great set of images, #9 is my favorite. #15 is also very nice, my one nit is that the diagonal shadow on the left is a bit distracting for me, my eye is continually drawn to that point.

Overall thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited January 27, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    I somehow missed these on the first go around. A great set of images, #9 is my favorite. #15 is also very nice, my one nit is that the diagonal shadow on the left is a bit distracting for me, my eye is continually drawn to that point.

Overall thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks Phil! Means much to me! Now that you mentioned the shadow.....I can't block it out either!:D
    It is rock sticking out and the angle is such that late in the day it would do that. Maybe it would be less gnarly in color.

Cheers!