Online stores with discounts - know any good deals?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited March 2, 2005 in The Big Picture
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good deals/discounts from online stores.

I was checking out Amazon and they will give you a $50 gift certificate code if you spend $500-$999.99us, or $100 g.c. if you spend $1000. They also give you $30 if you apply for thier visa. And you can get 3% reward points, im not sure how that works. Those two g.c. deals is only good for another few weeks, and is good for pre order items like the rebel xt *plus battery grip to put it over the $1000* and thn 6 to 8 weeks later when the other g.c. are good, maybe a couple of lenses.

Also what is everyone's experience with amazon?

I think I read about another site that gives you a healthy % back towards a next purchase, but I cant find that thread.

Does b&H, adorama or something like that, Willoughby's, etc have anything like this? I took a quick look around but didnt see anything.

Comments

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    If/when I spend $1000, I want to be able to ask questions if I need to. Amazon and ther discount houses make their money in bulk and offer virtually no customer support other than a return or exchange. Have a question about a function? That's why you pay a little more at a camera store.

Now if you know all of the tech stuff already and want to save, sure, Amazon is a method to use. But if something goes wrong they do not exactly have a store you can walk in to. All you can do is send emails and hope they reply.

As for the other credits, they may involve opening up a credit card account or a line of credit specifically with the seller. These guys are NOT going to lose money. I'd rather give a few extra bucks to the camera store and know that no strings are attached.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good deals/discounts from online stores.

I was checking out Amazon and they will give you a $50 gift certificate code if you spend $500-$999.99us, or $100 g.c. if you spend $1000. They also give you $30 if you apply for thier visa. And you can get 3% reward points, im not sure how that works. Those two g.c. deals is only good for another few weeks, and is good for pre order items like the rebel xt *plus battery grip to put it over the $1000* and thn 6 to 8 weeks later when the other g.c. are good, maybe a couple of lenses.

Also what is everyone's experience with amazon?

I think I read about another site that gives you a healthy % back towards a next purchase, but I cant find that thread.

Does b&H, adorama or something like that, Willoughby's, etc have anything like this? I took a quick look around but didnt see anything.

onecall.com is very good, very reliable... prices are excellent. they give 1% if you join their PASS program (free).... i've shopped there plenty.

cheers
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I would rather get a discount on the purchase than a promise of cashback on next purchase.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    And I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    Gerry, nothing like you describe. I get junk mail from buy.com, and they sometimes have very good deals. But you have to tolerate the 3 or so e-mails a week.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    onecall.com is very good, very reliable... prices are excellent. they give 1% if you join their PASS program (free).... i've shopped there plenty.

cheers

forgot to say, onecall's 1% cashback is *instant*
    edited March 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    forgot to say, onecall's 1% cashback is *instant*
    Why not just compete against everyone by lowering the price 1%? it's a ind game...if you put $1,000 on a credit card in hopes to get $10 back, why not just charge $990 instead? eek7.gif
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    If/when I spend $1000, I want to be able to ask questions if I need to. Amazon and ther discount houses make their money in bulk and offer virtually no customer support other than a return or exchange. Have a question about a function? That's why you pay a little more at a camera store.

Now if you know all of the tech stuff already and want to save, sure, Amazon is a method to use. But if something goes wrong they do not exactly have a store you can walk in to. All you can do is send emails and hope they reply.

As for the other credits, they may involve opening up a credit card account or a line of credit specifically with the seller. These guys are NOT going to lose money. I'd rather give a few extra bucks to the camera store and know that no strings are attached.
    I find most of these places dont know what thier talking about anywase, so thier not much use for tech support. They hire min wage people so they can save money. And the place im moving to, the big electronics store there is walmart, so online is my only choice. I could buy it in canada but then the warrenty wouldnt be any good in the states, plus Id be paying more for it anywase.

I just want a store that has a good price, return policy incase there is something wrong with it, and hopefully they will tak it back under warrenty and fix it.

Im not sure if I can get it all at once, so I may have to do the monthly paymnt thing or a bank loan, not a credit card. 5% compared to 17%, hard choice, hehe. And saving $100 or $150 sounds good to me. :0) Ill have to check into the 3% rewards thing that amazon offers.

I havent heard any bad stories about amazon, perhaps I should try to find that link to reseller ratings and give them a look.
    edited March 2, 2005
    I remember the good ol' days when the salesmen knew their stuff, helped find what you wanted, and watched you grow photographically.

Nowadays aty the mass merchandise store I am lucky to find someone who speaks English, tlerates their job, and knows someone who knows the guy who has the key to unlock every little $20 items in the store from behind a plexiglass cabinet....