Top 10 Mistakes Every Professional Photographer Should Avoid

lightcatcher2014lightcatcher2014 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited May 14, 2015 in Tutorials
It has been a while since I became a photographer but still remember the mistakes I made and continue to make. They tough me never to stop learning and keep going.

Wish I knew some of these when I first started. My progress would have been much easier. So decided to blog about it and share with upcoming and seasoned photographer. Hope you guys like it.

Missing something, have anything to add. Let me know.

Enjoy!

The link to the article: https://trifonanguelov.wordpress.com/2014/10/16/top-10-mistakes-every-professional-photographer-should-avoid/

Cheers
--
Trifon Anguelov
Portrait and Wedding Photographer, Mountain View, CA

http://www.weddingphotographyblogger.com

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2015
    Yes, I'd agree that these tips have relevance to anyone crossing the line into the 'pro' world of taking and selling images - not just wedding / people etc snappers - as your interest might suggest?

I think both this piece - and the text on your site (the bit I read, anyway) - would probably benefit from a 'revisit and tidy up' visit / session ...

pp
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2015
    I think both this piece - and the text on your site (the bit I read, anyway) - would probably benefit from a 'revisit and tidy up' visit / session ...

pp

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2015
    I like the list - but not to nit pic, the items in your list aren't mistakes. The title might be better as "Top 10 Things Every Professional Photographer Should Consider".

e.g. the first item is "Don’t overestimate your skills and ability..." This is advice you want the readers to follow - not something you want them to avoid. The "mistake" version of this would be "Overestimating your skills and ability...". You'd want to follow the first but avoid the second.

This is clearer with the third item "Establish and perfect your workflow" - clearly you don't mean that this is a mistake or something to avoid. The "mistake" version could say "Fail to establish and perfect your workflow".

Hope this helps.
  • lightcatcher2014lightcatcher2014 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Thank you for the feedback. I shall make the suggested changes.

Agree with #3 list change. If the title is discussing mistakes, the list items should state the mistake and then have the solution. I guess, the list is mixed with mistakes and suggestions now.

The point of #3 I was trying to make (did this myself) is not to jump into business until have a good workflow, get the forms in place, business registration, invoicing, payments, booking, etc. It is very hard to do that when users are booking frequently than getting this out of the out when the bookings are still low. Just time and prioritization.

Good feedback. Love it.
    --
    Trifon Anguelov
    Portrait and Wedding Photographer, Mountain View, CA

http://www.weddingphotographyblogger.com