Broken 5D1

Bob54401Bob54401 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited August 15, 2015 in Cameras
Hi All,

Well, my 5D1 fell out of my Canon backpack after the zipper opened, and landed hard on the sidewalk. The lens didn't break, and I can't find any damage to the camera, but it will no longer turn on. Tried different batteries, but nothing seems to work, something must have jarred loose inside. Has anyone tried taking their camera apart, or should I just send it to Canon?

Thanks!

Bob

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 4, 2015
    Private sale value of a Canon 5D in good working condition is around $250USD. If the broken part is a main board or power supply I suspect that repairs might cost $150-$250. Canon says they will officially stop support for the EOS 5D on September 30, 2015. Canon free mirror service/repair also ends on that date.

EBay sales run the gamut, with "Sold listings" typically from the low $300s to the upper $400s.

KEH.com has EOS 5D bodies from BGN $399 through EX+ $549, and they offer a 6 month warranty with each sale.

I suppose that if you have some experience working with cameras and electronics repair, you have little to lose at this point. Then again, if you have little or no experience in those areas, opening a camera is not a trivial task.

My recommendation is to purchase a used EOS 5D camera body from KEH, Adorama or B&H, and, if not previously done, avail yourself of the free mirror service while it is still available.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Private sale value of a Canon 5D in good working condition is around $250USD. If the broken part is a main board or power supply I suspect that repairs might cost $150-$250. Canon says they will officially stop support for the EOS 5D on September 30, 2015. Canon free mirror service/repair also ends on that date.

EBay sales run the gamut, with "Sold listings" typically from the low $300s to the upper $400s.

KEH.com has EOS 5D bodies from BGN $399 through EX+ $549, and they offer a 6 month warranty with each sale.

I suppose that if you have some experience working with cameras and electronics repair, you have little to lose at this point. Then again, if you have little or no experience in those areas, opening a camera is not a trivial task.

My recommendation is to purchase a used EOS 5D camera body from KEH, Adorama or B&H, and, if not previously done, avail yourself of the free mirror service while it is still available.

the 5D classic is going for around $450 on DSLR buy/sell sites but considering the age of that model it might be time to spend a little more and upgrade to a newer model
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    Bob54401 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Well, my 5D1 fell out of my Canon backpack after the zipper opened, and landed hard on the sidewalk. The lens didn't break, and I can't find any damage to the camera, but it will no longer turn on. Tried different batteries, but nothing seems to work, something must have jarred loose inside. Has anyone tried taking their camera apart, or should I just send it to Canon?

Thanks!

Bob

Send it to Canon and get a quote, then make a decision based on facts. :D

Sam
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    Nothing like being dismayed to find out my 5D is maybe worth $250. But along to the rescue is a sale of Canon 6D refurbished for under $1,000, direct from Canon with a year warranty! I've been debating this for awhile for about $1,250 and this price made it easy to pull the trigger. Use code "QQCC15" if interested at checkout at Canon USA.
  • Bob54401Bob54401 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been thinking about going to the 1DIII for some time. What are your thoughts on 12.8 MP vs 10.1? I believe the AF is more reliable in the 1DIII, and will likely result in more keepers.
    edited August 10, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been thinking about going to the 1DIII for some time. What are your thoughts on 12.8 MP vs 10.1? I believe the AF is more reliable in the 1DIII, and will likely result in more keepers.

The Canon 1D Mark III AF section and system is (generally) vastly superior to the AF system of the Canon 5D (original). Some 1D Mark III bodies are vulnerable to specific and situational AF problems, primarily from high ambient heat and background spectral light sources, both of which could cause a rather dramatic AF error. There was also a mirror misalignment problem which affected only a specific range of 1D Mark III bodies.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd3d

Rob Galbraith also experienced a number of AF anomalies which many photographers were unable to duplicate:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pagee99b.html?cid=7-8740-9068

The difference between the megapixel count of the Canon models 5D and 1D Mark III is not significant enough to be a purchase determinant factor, very much IMO (In My Opinion). The sensor size, AF section, high-ISO performance, dynamic range and camera body durability are much more important factors, again, very much IMO.

I suggest that it would be in your best interests to describe your photographic interests and potential budget range before pursuing any specific camera body recommendations.

Please be as specific as possible about what you like to photograph and what is a priority to photograph, and what conditions (daylight outdoors, nighttime outdoors, indoors, what lighting, etc.). Please also give a reasonable purchase budget, understanding that it may be necessary to recommend a higher budget if your photographic needs require it.
    ziggy53
  • Bob54401Bob54401 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2015
    Thanks so much for the info Ziggy! My budget is $500-$750. Most of my shooting is family stuff, vacations, kids sporting events, holidays, etc. I like shooting my daughters hockey games also. Being employed in emergency services, I also shoot occasional fire/emergency scenes. I do much better in the journalistic style of photography, as opposed to portraiture. My lens cache consists of a 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 135mm 2.0. I also just started looking at the 1DS Mk II as an interesting option...it seems doable on EBay anyway.
    edited August 11, 2015
    I too have the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and EF 135mm f/2L USM lenses. (For a FF super-wide lens I chose the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM zoom.)

The Canon 1Ds Mark II is still a pretty good FF body, and the AF system and section is excellent, even by todays standards. Basically the same AF system as the 1D Mark II, which was one of the most successful professional sports cameras ever (especially if you add the very mild upgrade body, the 1D Mark IIN), the 1Ds Mark II simply lacks the AF coverage of the smaller sensor in the 1D Mark II.

The 1Ds Mark II is not quite as speedy as the 1D Mark II either, as far as continuous captures, but the "responsiveness" is the same in either body. Dynamic range and High-ISO noise levels are not up to current standards, but still not bad for the current cost. A good external compact flash goes a long way towards improving indoor images, and if the flash has an AF Assist light that helps in AF speed and accuracy in lower light.

(Sports Illustrated still has their Canon 1D Mark II/1Ds Mark II suggested settings page, should you decide to go with this body. http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc)

If the AF performance on your 5D was not a hindrance, and if you could stretch your budget, I think that the Canon 5D Mark II might be a much better choice. The AF is somewhat improved over the original 5D, but not really designed for sports applications (although the 5D Mark II is/was used by some photographers for sports).

http://www.johntrotto.com/sports-photography-tips-and-equipment/

Importantly, the High-ISO and dynamic range are quite good on the 5D Mark II. I still have a copy of this body and use it for wedding/event photography and portraiture, including some photojournalistic style photography.
    ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2015
    Thanks so much for the info Ziggy! My budget is $500-$750. Most of my shooting is family stuff, vacations, kids sporting events, holidays, etc. I like shooting my daughters hockey games also. Being employed in emergency services, I also shoot occasional fire/emergency scenes. I do much better in the journalistic style of photography, as opposed to portraiture. My lens cache consists of a 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 135mm 2.0. I also just started looking at the 1DS Mk II as an interesting option...it seems doable on EBay anyway.

look at a used 5D2 or save a more for a refurbished 6D ($1,099)