Zenfolio vs Smugmug- which is better?

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    McQ wrote: »
    Not saying it would be better on Zenfolio, but for all the talk about support here, it sure is minimal. $150/year ought to get phone support, not just emails telling me to write code.

You really believe that? I'm not mocking, I'm asking. You really believe that $150/year ought to cover unlimited photo storage, unlimited bandwidth, shopping cart management, nearly instant e-mail support, support forums, AND phone support? (Let's assume that Smug's cut of sales covers the print management, return policy, customer service, etc.)

I'm no Smugmug apologist, but I think you're wrong that phone support would be better in a situation like this and I'm surprised that you think $150/year is warrants multiple avenues of support. It's not as if they're unresponsive to the e-mails. What would you want them to do on the phone, speak css code for you to type into your page? headscratch.gif

What appeals to me about Zenfolio is its speed. Every site I've ever visited that they host is noticeably faster than my Smugmug site. But I certainly wouldn't leave because of the support here - I'm hard pressed to think of a company in any industry that has better customer service.
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    You really believe that? I'm not mocking, I'm asking. You really believe that $150/year ought to cover unlimited photo storage, unlimited bandwidth, shopping cart management, nearly instant e-mail support, support forums, AND phone support? (Let's assume that Smug's cut of sales covers the print management, return policy, customer service, etc.)

I'm no Smugmug apologist, but I think you're wrong that phone support would be better in a situation like this and I'm surprised that you think $150/year is warrants multiple avenues of support. It's not as if they're unresponsive to the e-mails. What would you want them to do on the phone, speak css code for you to type into your page? headscratch.gif

What appeals to me about Zenfolio is its speed. Every site I've ever visited that they host is noticeably faster than my Smugmug site. But I certainly wouldn't leave because of the support here - I'm hard pressed to think of a company in any industry that has better customer service.

Yep. Sure do believe it. You can be as astonished as you want, but that's my opinion. And I have experienced some of the worst customer support at SmugMug that I have ever encountered. So, until you walk a mile in another person's shoes....

I'm a long time customer, and was a long time supporter. I'm just voicing my opinion based on my experiences. Perfectly within my rights to do so.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    Yep. Sure do believe it. You can be as astonished as you want, but that's my opinion. And I have experienced some of the worst customer support at SmugMug that I have ever encountered. So, until you walk a mile in another person's shoes....

I'm a long time customer, and was a long time supporter. I'm just voicing my opinion based on my experiences. Perfectly within my rights to do so.
    Can you describe specifically what you expected of Smugmug support that you didn't get? What I've seen you mention a few posts back is customization questions and I'm wondering if that's what the issue is and/or if you are expecting Smugmug support to customize your site for you?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 12, 2011
    Many people write about custommer service - smugmug is the best, smugmug is so good, smugmug is perfect. Why don't you compare it with Zenfolio? I have been with Zenfolio for a while and every issue I had was answered within 2 hours. The other thing is that they provide webinars every week about - customisation, marketing, sales etc and during those webinars you can learn and ask questions. I think it is better because the tutorials are on the screen - like a screencast.
    I had some issues with Smugmug custommer support but i have written about that before so I will not repete myself. I do not like things on Smugmug and I like things on Smugmug - so is with Zenfoio. Zenfolio wins for me because of the customisation and the Control Panel, uploading, sharing, and the way it looks - it is just beautiful. AND an EUROPEAN LAB what Smugmug was prommising for at least 1.5 year.
    If you are a Smugmug user I suggest go to zenfolio and open a 14 days trial account and see for yourself:) - do not belive all the forum posts :)
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
    McQ wrote:
    ...Not saying it would be better on Zenfolio, but...$150/year ought to get phone support...

Just to be clear, Zenfolio has no phone support.

Malte
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 12, 2011
    Malte wrote: »

Malte

No it does not have one. What can you not ask through an email what can you ask through a phone? Cmon - it is 21 century - if both of the companies would have a call centre then the price of the services would cost much more.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited May 12, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Can you describe specifically what you expected of Smugmug support that you didn't get? What I've seen you mention a few posts back is customization questions and I'm wondering if that's what the issue is and/or if you are expecting Smugmug support to customize your site for you?

I've already done that via emails to SmugMug support. Not going to rehash all of it here. No, it doesn't just have to do with customization, although that has ended up coming into play a few times. I'm well aware that there is other help getting customization (at an added cost). I do read this forum, even if I don't post very frequently.

edited May 12, 2011

Malte

Never said it did. It also doesn't cost $150/year. Most of the time, it seems to work so well, and is so easy to customize at Zenfolio, you don't need much support anyway. Again, I've been with SmugMug for four years. Not new to this.

edited May 12, 2011
    tomnovy wrote: »
    No it does not have one. What can you not ask through an email what can you ask through a phone? Cmon - it is 21 century - if both of the companies would have a call centre then the price of the services would cost much more.

I'm not trying to debate wheather phone support is inherently better than e-mail support. I'm just trying to keep the comparisons apples to apples.
    Never said it did. It also doesn't cost $150/year. Most of the time, it seems to work so well, and is so easy to customize at Zenfolio, you don't need much support anyway. Again, I've been with SmugMug for four years. Not new to this.

So I'm guessing that you're comparing Smugmug's $150 plan to Zenfolio's $100 plan and for that $50 extra per year you're arguing that phone support should be able to be included?

When it comes to customization, you're preaching to the choir here, SmugMug's Easy Customizer doesn't hold a candle to Zenfolio's.

Malte
    edited May 12, 2011
    When it comes to customization, you're preaching to the choir here, SmugMug's Easy Customizer doesn't hold a candle to Zenfolio's.

Malte
    It depends upon what you want. Zenfolio's advanced customization doesn't hold a candle to Smugmug's. Lots and lots of things you can do with Smugmug that can't do at all with Zenfolio.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 12, 2011
    ...Zenfolio's advanced customization doesn't hold a candle to Smugmug's...

Well there you go, I didn't even know Zenfolio offered advanced customization. I don't hold an account there anymore but when I did, they definately didn't have this.

Malte
    edited May 12, 2011
    Well there you go, I didn't even know Zenfolio offered advanced customization. I don't hold an account there anymore but when I did, they definately didn't have this.

Malte
    Yeah, they still don't as best I know. That's why it doesn't hold a candle to Smugmug's. You can't, for example, customize your entire Zenfolio site to match your blog so the two look seamlessly like one site (but you can do that on Smugmug).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 12, 2011
    I'm not trying to debate wheather phone support is inherently better than e-mail support. I'm just trying to keep the comparisons apples to apples.

So I'm guessing that you're comparing Smugmug's $150 plan to Zenfolio's $100 plan and for that $50 extra per year you're arguing that phone support should be able to be included?

Malte

I'm just saying that I do think that SmugMug should offer phone support for Pro Accounts, yes. And I see no reason why it can't be done for $150/year. Instead of trying to scour the various SM sites for info/help/feedback (all of which cost mucho time and money for SM to keep operating), they could offer phone support.

It would alleviate a lot of miscommunication as well, which happens far too often via email, and here, and would add the human touch to their support.

edited May 12, 2011
    To Malte and others I've messaged in this thread. I am not trying to seem as if I want the whole world, want it now, and want it for free. If I'm coming across that way, I'm sorry. I've been frustrated with some really irritating issues that I feel SmugMug support has done a very poor job with, and I just don't have the time to keep repeating my messages to them, or to spend going back and forth on email, each time getting a different support person.

So I'm just saying I think they can do better. I don't want to continue to beat this to death on the forum, because it isn't helpful, and distracts from other Dgrin needs and from people who need help.

So forgive my less than charitable messages so far, and hope we can move on.

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    For the areas you'd like to see addressed, garner support and awareness for them via the feedback system at feedback.smugmug.com.

I started an idea that I thought just a few wanted, FTP uploading--and as of now it's #7 on the most wanted list. Who knew?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 13, 2011
    Yeah, they still don't as best I know. That's why it doesn't hold a candle to Smugmug's. You can't, for example, customize your entire Zenfolio site to match your blog so the two look seamlessly like one site (but you can do that on Smugmug).

Right-o. I prefer the no-coding approach of Zenfolio. Not enough to switch, but I think it's the way to go. Andy has promised me major improvements of EZC so I'm gonna ride his ass on that one. mwink.gif

Malte
    edited May 13, 2011
    To Malte and others I've messaged in this thread. I am not trying to seem as if I want the whole world, want it now, and want it for free. If I'm coming across that way, I'm sorry. I've been frustrated with some really irritating issues that I feel SmugMug support has done a very poor job with, and I just don't have the time to keep repeating my messages to them, or to spend going back and forth on email, each time getting a different support person.

So I'm just saying I think they can do better. I don't want to continue to beat this to death on the forum, because it isn't helpful, and distracts from other Dgrin needs and from people who need help.

So forgive my less than charitable messages so far, and hope we can move on.

Nothing to forgive McQ. You come off as dissatisfied, not rude in any way. thumb.gif

Malte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    so I'm gonna ride his ass on that one. mwink.gif

Malte

/me saddles up!
    edited May 13, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    /me saddles up!

rolleyes1.giflust

Malte
  • dtsiapasdtsiapas Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2011
    Up to now I've been very pleased with smugmug, but zenfolio seems to be a lot faster. I noticed that zenfolio is preloading the photos when viewing its galleries and this gives a great boost to the viewing experience. Instead in smugmug i have to wait for my images to load, I understand that this saves you bandwidth but when someone is in a gallery sooner or later he will view all the photos, so what's the point in loading the photos on demand and not in the background?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    I am not trying to seem as if I want the whole world, want it now, and want it for free...So I'm just saying I think they can do better.

Oh, is that what you're saying?
    They have become incredibly arrogant about their business.
    Big deal! For $150+/year, I would like them to do more than answer emails fast. All I get from them is "We can't."
    I think they've become a company that is too taken with their own hype.
    Forget it. For the money I put down with them, I want them to write the code and let me concentrate on the photography.

I've already stated that there are things about Zenfolio I prefer to Smugmug (namely, speed!). It doesn't bother me if someone chooses Zen over Smug - use whatever works best for you. But good grief - let this stuff go already.

Also, it looks to me like you have to get the $250/year Zenfolio account to get a pro lab (like Bay) and a couple other features Smugmug offers. (The $250 account also includes some things SM doesn't offer...)
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    I have both, a Smugmug account and a Zenfolio account. I love how we can customize the look and feel with Smugmug. Zenfolio does not even come close. Uploads to Smugmug is awesome! It automatically skips duplicates which makes it easy to continue from an upload crash. Zenfolio would upload the duplicate. Smugmug's uploads are 5X faster than Zenfolio. What took me an hour to upload to Smugmug took over 5 hours on Zenfolio. However, you are correct in that the viewer experience with Zenfolio is quicker. I guess that is because there are much much less CSS code and customizations on Zenfolio. it isn't even possible to make much changes with Zenfolio (and I have their top package there). Every Zenfolio customer's site looks almost the same.

I use both, because I sometimes like to have things printed by MPixPro for my clients. For those customers, their photos are shown in Zenfolio. Otherwise, BayPhoto and EzPrints gets the business, on Smugmug.

Also, having both gives me the option of now having 2 off-site backup copies of my images :)
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
    edited May 14, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Oh, is that what you're saying?

I've already stated that there are things about Zenfolio I prefer to Smugmug (namely, speed!). It doesn't bother me if someone chooses Zen over Smug - use whatever works best for you. But good grief - let this stuff go already.

Also, it looks to me like you have to get the $250/year Zenfolio account to get a pro lab (like Bay) and a couple other features Smugmug offers. (The $250 account also includes some things SM doesn't offer...)

If you were paying attention to this thread, you'd see I have already asked for readers to please forgive my less than charitable messages here, and hope we can move on. What purpose do you have for posting this: But good grief - let this stuff go already., and then continuing the thread?

Seems kind of like you want to make an issue of it and keep it going. And what I posted a week ago (while I was still having numerous customer support issues with SmugMug) on a different web site, doesn't have any bearing on this particular thread. Additionally, I didn't post anything there that wasn't also posted here. So what's your point?

You might want to let it go yourself. I've already done so, and I've already spoken with Andy, and, in fact, personally apologized to him and posted an apology to him for my comments.

Any other questions?

edited May 14, 2011
    What I am just suggesting is a simple preloading of the pictures in the background that will provide to everybody a far better viewing experience. (the preloading can doesn't have to be great...i suppose that 2 maybe 3 photos ahead preloading will be just fine...nothing that will harm the bandwidth)
    This might have already been discussed but as a customer of this service I think I ought to make my point hoping that smugmug stuff will have this in mind in their next update.
    Thank you all and make peace...we just need smugmug as with every service to fullfill our needs and this was the point of my post.
    edited May 14, 2011
    dtsiapas wrote: »
    What I am just suggesting is a simple preloading of the pictures in the background that will provide to everybody a far better viewing experience. (the preloading can doesn't have to be great...i suppose that 2 maybe 3 photos ahead preloading will be just fine...nothing that will harm the bandwidth)
    This might have already been discussed but as a customer of this service I think I ought to make my point hoping that smugmug stuff will have this in mind in their next update.
    Thank you all and make peace...we just need smugmug as with every service to fullfill our needs and this was the point of my post.

I'll bet there's someone here with enough experience to know if this is easily doable in SmugMug. I don't have the computer engineering savvy to know, but there are some real geniuses who could tell you if this is a possibility. Somewhere on SmugMug's help section is a place to put suggestions like this too. I don't know where (that was one of my issues - the lack of consolidation of information and help), but they keep a list of works in progress and suggested fixes for things. If you can find that, you could put in the suggestion to see if they can implement it.

edited May 14, 2011
    I'll bet there's someone here with enough experience to know if this is easily doable in SmugMug. I don't have the computer engineering savvy to know, but there are some real geniuses who could tell you if this is a possibility. Somewhere on SmugMug's help section is a place to put suggestions like this too. I don't know where (that was one of my issues - the lack of consolidation of information and help), but they keep a list of works in progress and suggested fixes for things. If you can find that, you could put in the suggestion to see if they can implement it.
    Feature suggestions for Smugmug are collected and tracked here http://feedback.smugmug.com.

Pre-caching is technically a possibility. How effective it is at improving the viewing experience depends totally on the viewer's logic. It can work quite well if a viewer views the gallery in perfect sequence - it can actually slow things down if they view in their own random order. It can be even more complicated on a slow network (like mobile) where the very act of pre-caching may interfere or slow down the next user's action. I have no idea what Smugmug themselves thinks of the idea.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 14, 2011
    Zenfolio is preloading all the photos shown as thumbnails in the current page of a gallery.
    edited May 14, 2011
    I just made a suggestion in smugmug feedback. Maybe you could give a vote if you think it will be usefull. http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1821295-add-a-pre-cache-option-in-the-gallery-settings-whi?ref=title
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2011
    dtsiapas wrote: »
    We're amazingly focused on Speed. We spend $millions on it. If you're not getting fast photos, we want to know. Please write our Support Heroes and let us run some of our new diagnostics on your connection to us to help out. Thanks!
    edited May 14, 2011
    If you're not getting fast photos, we want to know.
    There is no problem with my network speed, I just made a side by side comparison of smugmug(in which I already have an account) vs zenfolio and focused just on viewing experience. It was then that i noticed that zenfolio was preloading all the pictures in the gallery providing me a faster browsing through photos, nothing more nothing less. I don't think that is any harm in giving feedback. I remind everyone that my suggestion is here
    Thank you for you immediate response.