Nik Collection now free (as in beer)

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited March 26, 2016 in Finishing School
Google announced that the Nik Collection is now available for free. I paid $150 for it several years ago just to get Silver Efex Pro II, which I love and use all the time for B&W conversions. I haven't spent any time with the other components, but hey, it sure sounds like an offer nobody should refuse. :deal

The downside of this may be that it is a sign that Google doesn't plan to do any further development on the suite. That's speculation, but it wouldn't be surprising.

BTW, if you purchased it during 2016, Google says they'll give you a refund. I'm not eligible, but I'm not complaining--it was money well spent.

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2016
    Thanks for the tip, Richard! I've always been interested but too stingy to try them.

Cheers, Sara
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 25, 2016
    Thanks for the notice, Richard. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2016
    Already down loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2016
    I agree with Richard. I use these programs a great deal. Nik Color Effex Pro "Detail Extractor " can make a picture really pop and that's just the beginning!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 26, 2016
    I have used these Nik plug ins for some time, too.

This is not the first time Google has made them available at no charge either - I got mine a few years back during a similar give away.

I particularly like Color FX Pro and Silver FX.

I downloaded them again yesterday to have a set for a lap top that I only use occasionally, but since they are free......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin