How to get started in Video

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited August 2, 2014 in Video
Can anyone point me to some resources for getting started in video from the perspective of a DSLR stills photog? I've made cutesy videos or slide shows before (found Animoto to be "easy button"). But I now want to take things a step further.

I'm looking for a book or resource that speaks from the point of view of a stills photographer and how gives the basics on film making. Not so much the technical side, but the creative side.

Thanks!

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    I think for anyone to give you meaningful direction, two questions need to be answered.

1. Why do you want to shoot video?

2. What is it you plan on shooting?

To be honest, shooting video is a PITA. At least to do it well. It's even harder for stills people. And this is further compounded by using an incredibly poor tool for the job in a DSLR.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited July 10, 2014
    I think for anyone to give you meaningful direction, two questions need to be answered.

1. Why do you want to shoot video?

2. What is it you plan on shooting?

To be honest, shooting video is a PITA. At least to do it well. It's even harder for stills people. And this is further compounded by using an incredibly poor tool for the job in a DSLR.

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Starting to learn about serious video production using a dSLR is a very bad idea, unless you have some serious tutelage.

I suggest getting a camcorder to learn on first, and then learn the differences between camcorder and dSLR video production.

A local community college may have a video production and editing class, which could be a very good primer. If they also have some dSLR bodies for acquisition, so much the better.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 11, 2014
    I think on this topic, I'm going to have to disagree with with my esteemed colleagues here. I've been teaching myself video production on DSLR gear and am very pleased with my progress. I owned a camcorder back when the kids were small, and all that video footage is still sitting on mini-DV tapes.

There's a convergence of technology between stills and video not only in our cameras now, but also in our processing software. My video workflow starts in Lightroom and is a natural extension of my image workflow. I'm now editing movies with multiple-camera and audio streams. Most of the work I'm doing is more journalistic than it is creative. I have no aspirations to be a Kubrick or Hitchcock, or even to consider myself to be a film maker per se if that makes any sense. At present I focus on events, ceremonies and performances. For this application, I think DSLRs are great. You just have to understand their limitations which can be worked around.

However, you (the OP) asked about learning the Creative side of film-making, not technical. I really can't advise on that, because it's not my focus. Still, I don't see why a DSLR should be any less of a tool for that purpose either. Again, you just need to understands its strengths and weaknesses.

I will say that the internet is an incredible resource for learning almost anything these days. Google, "video for DSLR photographers", and you will find TONS of reading material and Youtube vids on the topic. I would never have figured this stuff out so quickly without the internet.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Below are just 3 workshops from many, from Creative Live that would help anyone wanting to get started in video with a dSLR. If your looking to learn shooting and editing, I highly recommend the first one. If your only interested in shooting video then the last one would a good one as well, as I watched those two when they were live, and purchased the last one.

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/photo-video-fusion-vanessa-and-rob

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/fundamentals-dslr-filmmaking-victor-ha

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/promoting-your-studio-video-showreels-sue-bryce-and-hailey-bartholomew

GaryB

GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I've found some decent material out there - stuff on pure video and stuff on hybrid photography. I've been enjoying my new Panasonic Lumix GH4, and have created some fun memories with my family on our recent vacation. Looking forward to doing more hybrid work with this little camera.