THree from today

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 15, 2014 in People
Young opera singer wanting headshots + some website/promo images. We had fun!

C&C always welcome... :)

i-B7MXBsf-XL.jpg

i-4hK5Qzw-XL.jpg

i-4ZsPQqb-XL.jpg

Comments

• D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    Good work, love 2…. combination of red and the dark hair and look works great.
    I do mis the opera touch and feel. The last shot is a bit "I want , but I don't dare" due to the position of the arms
    But technical a good shot
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    I really like the first two. On #1, I think I would crop just a bit higher. It looks a little awkward that you cropped right at her hairline. #2 is my favorite. She has a bit of that intense/evil Salome look to her

Her arms don't look comfortable or natural in #3. It's just distracting to me and draws me away from her face.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    Thanks!!

Yeah, I'd like more on #1 too... but that's where it was in camera! I love the expression so much I can live with it :) Maybe I'll see if there's a neighbouring shot that I can use to bolt some more hair into it. As for #3, I see what you mean - I fell in love with her lovely soft hand position so it read differently to me. I have a zillion in that series that I LOVE but the stool I used is invisible under the dress, so trying to figure out how to avoid "potty position" with it - some work to do on those.............

D3, typical "formal" studio opera portraits aren't really the thing in the US right now - gowns in urban or rural settings are very typical promotional images, and headshots are also more like "actor" shots (natural light, more dynamic poses etc) - she's in dressier clothes/make-up, which is what pushes it towards opera here. Also, she does some music theater (Broadway) stuff which definitely needs a more actor look, so I wanted to ensure some shots which can serve her as either/or thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    1and 2 are lovely. 3 is not quite doing it for me..her bust area is the brightest part of the image which draws my eyes (trust me they don't need any more attention!) and actually the image is bit too warm for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks!!

D3, typical "formal" studio opera portraits aren't really the thing in the US right now - gowns in urban or rural settings are very typical promotional images, and headshots are also more like "actor" shots (natural light, more dynamic poses etc) - she's in dressier clothes/make-up, which is what pushes it towards opera here. Also, she does some music theater (Broadway) stuff which definitely needs a more actor look, so I wanted to ensure some shots which can serve her as either/or thumb.gif

TXS, I learned something…..always good to get feedback thumb.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2014
    #2 is WOW!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    #2 is incredible! I'd like to see #3 cropped higher--get her arms out of there altogether.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited July 24, 2014
    Thanks guys! A few more - can't remember the last time somebody gave me just shot after amazing shot like this - so many expressions and poses. She has ZERO experience to camera - she's just really good at it!!

i-vPSvJXz-X2.jpg

i-4sfPmn5-X3.jpg
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like that 4-up!!!!!!!!

She looks like four completely different people. What a way to showcase her different personalities.

On the 2-up, the engineer in me wants to test the tensile strength of that spaghetti strap.:D
    edited July 25, 2014
    Hahaha Bryce - she's not exactly self-conscious, but she is aware that she's a teeny-tiny little thing (5ft) with, um, assets. We were trying to play that up appropriately without going tooooooo over the top. We have dubbed this Operaland trend "deavage" (or divage, depending on your preference lol)
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    like 2..but could use a bit of skin work
    Love the bottom right phone in the group of 4.
    edited July 25, 2014
    Thanks Zooms! That one's weird - although it's a neat shot (I love it), it actually doesn't look as much like her as some of the others. The lighting is less than brilliant, too - it was out in the open and I bounced some fill flash off the building behind me, but I"m not entirely happy with the light coming from above the way it is. But I do love what a different side of her it shows!! I still can't get over how many looks she gave me - so much fun to get a subject like that thumb.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2014
    They are all extremely lovely but be still my heart for #3.
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    Well done - Nice work - you have worked well with the model in that the images suit who she is looking like.
    The image number one is my favorite. Here eyes are just lovely. the pose and colors , clothes all work very well together.

I get what you saying about working with someone who is good to work with, makes all the difference.

Keep up the good work
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    #2 is so freaking good! Very very strong set. I'm really digging the variety of expressions you were able to capture. thumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com