New Book on Photography and Neuroscience

PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited August 23, 2015 in Book and Gear Reviews
Hi - I hope this is appropriate in this forum. It's about a book connecting visual neuroscience (the science of how we see) with photography. I wrote it, and I'm still looking for a good publisher!

The book outlines what visual neuroscience can teach the photographer; and it talks about the parallels and differences between cameras versus eyes plus brains. A thrilling popular science read!
I am, I want to say without modesty, one of the few people who could have written that book. There are of course many neuroscientists knowledgeable in vision, and many knowledgeable photographers, but few people fall in both camps.

The book, “The Camera and the Brain” follows two photons on their different paths: One flies through the lens of a camera onto a photographic sensor, and is transformed into a part of a photograph. The other one flies through the lens of a human eye, onto the retina, to be converted into a human percept. I discuss the perception of motion, scale and color, the constant scanning movements of our eyes called saccades, and the recognition of objects like faces. I also explain the fundamental difference between perceiving and photographing. The book is illustrated with my own photographs and illustrations by Anna Farrell (with the option of adding more of her great work for the final version).

Some samples of my popular science and photography writing are here: An article, with Alex Holcombe, in Scientific American Mind about the eye and the camera. This is an invited blog post about underwater photography. And this is one of my contributions to scubadiverlife.com. These are some popular science posts and some photography posts on my blog. I have published a humorous popular-science marine biology book and a novella via Amazon. I have won awards at a few photo competitions like this one, and I am also teaching underwater photography (this is a previous workshop). Finally, this is a best-of-selection of my photography.
My scholarly publications are here. I got my doctorate from the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research and the University of Vienna and later spent some time at the Salk Institute. I actually know what I am writing about brain-wise!

This truly captivating popular science book now needs a good publishing home. Get in touch with me if you want to give it one!

CamerBrain_sml.jpg

Comments

• 2day2day Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Did you find a pubisher yet? I would love to read your work!
    Lois Doubleday
    www.imagingthat.co
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2015
    ...It's about a book connecting visual neuroscience (the science of how we see) with photography. I wrote it ...

The book outlines what visual neuroscience can teach the photographer; and it talks about the parallels and differences between cameras versus eyes plus brains.

I also explain the fundamental difference between perceiving and photographing.

Sorry, but I'm not a publisher, so can't help on that score, but ...
    since you're the author, I assume you use the knowledge mentioned above when taking your own photos?

I wondered if you have any specific / particular examples of images where this knowledge has been put to use and the resulting pic has been better because of this ... or are such examples in the book - and I have to buy it to see them ? :)

pp
  • f2btheref2bthere Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2015
    This sounds like an interesting book.

The link to the Scientific American Mind article goes to a pay site which only lets subscribers look at the article.
  • PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins

I actually published the book now, after lots of efforts trying to find a publisher I went to self-publication. I really think this is worth a read for every photographer!

Here it is!