OS change

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited March 3, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
...I have to re-install Mac OSX and have prepped by saving my data, etc...but have a question re. LR catalog and re-installing in general: does the LRCat, when backed-up during shutdown, include the present state of work within the program? I guess what I'm asking is; when I re-install and run it, will it be the same as when I last was working in there?
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    Well if your last backup is from your last session in Lightroom then yes, you could open either the backup or the original and would not notice a difference. But of course if you had made your backup on Monday 3p.m. and worked in that catalogue in LR at 5p.m. the same day (without generating a new backup) the two would be different.
    Not sure what kind of re-installation you are going to run on your Mac OS X, but as far as I recall upgrading from Lion to Yosemite did not delete any of the previously installed programs or a single one of my files. So unless you also are formatting your entire hard drive you might not even loose a single file on your re-installation if things work out as they are supposed to. (Of course having backups on an actual status is always a good solution should things not go quite as good as expected!)
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    Well if your last backup is from your last session in Lightroom then yes, you could open either the backup or the original and would not notice a difference. But of course if you had made your backup on Monday 3p.m. and worked in that catalogue in LR at 5p.m. the same day (without generating a new backup) the two would be different.
    Not sure what kind of re-installation you are going to run on your Mac OS X, but as far as I recall upgrading from Lion to Yosemite did not delete any of the previously installed programs or a single one of my files. So unless you also are formatting your entire hard drive you might not even loose a single file on your re-installation if things work out as they are supposed to. (Of course having backups on an actual status is always a good solution should things not go quite as good as expected!)

Thanks, Lille! Actually I *did* run a backup last time in LR...what happened is that my first install of Yosemite was corrupted (not terribly bad, so I didn't notice until I had a huge amount of data and such migrated onto my new SSD) so it's start over! So, no matter what it is what it is at this point...thanks for the response!
    Charlie Groh
  • Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    You're welcome Charlie.
    In that case you really have not much of a chance but to start from scratch again (either with a brand new hard drive or a re-formated one). Been there done that - not on Mac but on Linux :)
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2015
    You're welcome Charlie.
    In that case you really have not much of a chance but to start from scratch again (either with a brand new hard drive or a re-formated one). Been there done that - not on Mac but on Linux :)

...annnnnnd, newsflash...it all came out great! Well, after giving it to my mac expert, anyhow...he did some magic cloning, kept it overnight to move lots of RAW files (they don't go so quickly) and when I got it home
    it was perfect...not even a hiccup! wings.gif
    Charlie Groh