Options

Questions on Gallery Style

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited March 18, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
3 questions:

1) Under gallery style Thumbnail and Landscape mode, the caption only appears when moused over the pic and it shows only the 1st row of your caption even when your text is plenty. The wordings is kind of grey off and quite hard to figure out to read. Is Thumbnail and Landscape mode designed this way? Can the font customized to be darker to alert viewer there is a text? in portrait style, the full caption can be seen very clearly.

2) When I choose slideshow style, caption is not shown at all. How come?

3) In Thumbnail, Lanscape or Portrait style, when pic is open, I cant see the caption. It is almost hidden way below the computer screen until I moused over around bottom left corner than the caption appear. Why like that?

Tks for all helps.

i-ZrXKCtz-XL.jpg

i-3sb9bDc-XL.png

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited March 4, 2015
    david-low wrote: »
    1) Under gallery style Thumbnail and Landscape mode, the caption only appears when moused over the pic and it shows only the 1st row of your caption even when your text is plenty. The wordings is kind of grey off and quite hard to figure out to read. Is Thumbnail and Landscape mode designed this way? Can the font customized to be darker to alert viewer there is a text? in portrait style, the full caption can be seen very clearly.

2) When I choose slideshow style, caption is not shown at all. How come?

3) In Thumbnail, Lanscape or Portrait style, when pic is open, I cant see the caption. It is almost hidden way below the computer screen until I moused over around bottom left corner than the caption appear. Why like that?
    According to this entry in smugmug's feedback forum it appears that you can specify captions to be shown for galleries set to slideshow style - http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4335532-enable-captions-and-photo-titles-to-be-displayed-i. I've verified that there is an option for this for slideshow gallery style (screen capture below).

You can change the lightbox to always show the caption with the CSS on this page - http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Lightbox/Always-Show-Lightbox-Captions.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Tks Denise,

Have urgent business to attend. Need to fly off for 10 days. Will check later.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2015
    According to this entry in smugmug's feedback forum it appears that you can specify captions to be shown for galleries set to slideshow style - http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4335532-enable-captions-and-photo-titles-to-be-displayed-i. I've verified that there is an option for this for slideshow gallery style (screen capture below).

You can change the lightbox to always show the caption with the CSS on this page - http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Lightbox/Always-Show-Lightbox-Captions.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

I'm back home and looking at yoyr reply again.

I went to the 1st link and it stated only for Power Account. Does it means we can't adjust speed etc for basic a/c holder?

The 2nd link seems to suggest we need to do some CSS thing. That is always a complete alien to me and I really don't know how to do it. Why can't Smugmug design with just a click button to have caption On or Off. Period.

The old Smug seems more intuitive. The caption come on by itself, speed etc can be easily adjusted without going thru a maze of menu, and there is a film strip display for fast forward. Nothing of that sort in new Smug. Seems like 2 steps backwards. No?

Would appreciate your clarification to my very 1st question abt caption on landscape and Thumbnail mode.

Once again, tks alot.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    I went to the 1st link and it stated only for Power Account. Does it means we can't adjust speed etc for basic a/c holder?

The 2nd link seems to suggest we need to do some CSS thing. That is always a complete alien to me and I really don't know how to do it.

Would appreciate your clarification to my very 1st question abt caption on landscape and Thumbnail mode.
    If the help text says you need a Power account or above then it doesn't apply to Basic accounts.

CSS is also only available on a Power account or above.
    If you have at least a Power level account the information you need is on the page that I linked to above.

For your first question, you would need to use CSS to customize the font. Based on your question in your last post I'm guessing that you have a Basic account; that means you can't do this type of customization. I can't answer why the display is as you describe; the whys of the design would need to be answered by someone from SmugMug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    Tks Denise for taking time to reply
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    Hi Denise,

Just to back track on slide show question.

I remembered you were one of those that assist to develop or gave feedback for the new smug (something like that).

I'm a basic a/c. And in old smug the slide show does show the caption. Don't need all the unneccessary tedious CSS or whats not. In new smug, it doesnt show unless is a Power a/c. So that means I was denied of what I can enjoy in old smug?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    I'm a basic a/c. And in old smug the slide show does show the caption. Don't need all the unneccessary tedious CSS or whats not. In new smug, it doesnt show unless is a Power a/c. So that means I was denied of what I can enjoy in old smug?
    The product changed between legacy and new smug.

It is up to you to decide whether new smug meets your needs or not, and whether the basic plan continues to meet your needs or if you would be happier with a power plan - or if you would be happier with a different product altogether.

From my standpoint there were changes that I love and there were a couple of things from legacy that I wish were still available. But honestly, overall I think we have a much better platform to share our photos. I'm much happier with new smug than I was with legacy. Even with a basic plan I think the new world is better than the old. (Of course that's a personal opinion, youropinion may differ from mine.)

One of the changes that has a huge impact on your site is that the thumbs that represent your folders and galleries are much larger. I always thought that the tiny thumbs in legacy did nothing to entice anyone to open a gallery. That's why my legacy site was so heavily customized - to create the equivalent of category and subcategory thumbs that were much larger than the ridiculous 100x100. The presentation of folders and galleries as well as the new gallery styles in new smug are among the reasons I am so happy with new smug. Your site will benefit greatly in the changed presentation.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    The product changed between legacy and new smug.

It is up to you to decide whether new smug meets your needs or not, and whether the basic plan continues to meet your needs or if you would be happier with a power plan - or if you would be happier with a different product altogether.

From my standpoint there were changes that I love and there were a couple of things from legacy that I wish were still available. But honestly, overall I think we have a much better platform to share our photos. I'm much happier with new smug than I was with legacy. Even with a basic plan I think the new world is better than the old. (Of course that's a personal opinion, youropinion may differ from mine.)

One of the changes that has a huge impact on your site is that the thumbs that represent your folders and galleries are much larger. I always thought that the tiny thumbs in legacy did nothing to entice anyone to open a gallery. That's why my legacy site was so heavily customized - to create the equivalent of category and subcategory thumbs that were much larger than the ridiculous 100x100. The presentation of folders and galleries as well as the new gallery styles in new smug are among the reasons I am so happy with new smug. Your site will benefit greatly in the changed presentation.

--- Denise

Denise,

Tks for reply. I certainly agreed the new smug layout is so much more attractive. No doubt abt it. Just that I felt caption not been available for slide show (and also without film strip) is really 2 steps back.

Tks again. Cheers.