Mushroom Soup

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited July 6, 2015 in Holy Macro
I have previously photographed Inkcap mushrooms in one of our compost bins and saw others developing recently, in another bin. So it was no surprise to find a perfect fruiting body. This lasts only for an hour or two so I grabbed my standard macro setup, with the Kiron 105mm and twin flash.

I assume that this was also Coprinopsis narcotica.

It is very difficult to position the twin-flash and camera, so I cannot always get the angle I want framed.

Anyway, I had taken a number of frames when, in the semi-darkness, I realised this fruit fly was on the very centre of the cap. At first I though it was stuck but it was able to move around and was there intentionally. I later saw that there was a second fruit fly at the edge of the cap.

Mushrooms expand to full size by pumping in water and I suppose some of it must leak, containing nutrients, but probably no sugar.

Harold

1156302.jpg?ts=1436075159

1156303.jpg?ts=1436075159

1156304.jpg?ts=1436075159

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2015
    On a roll Harold! Even if fly is not quiet in focus, the find, the comp and handling of bright white is joyous! If there is room then on first one I think centering would have more impact.
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    On a roll Harold! Even if fly is not quiet in focus, the find, the comp and handling of bright white is joyous! If there is room then on first one I think centering would have more impact.

Thanks.

I was supposed to be photographing the mushroom! The fly was not there for the first few frames. I thought these were worth posting for the interaction interest. I will them return with the (uncluttered!) mushroom shots at a later date.

I recall that I could scarcely move the camera laterally due to the size of the opening in the compost bin. Changing the angle would have lost focus on parts of the mushroom cap. Its all a bit vague now but there were issues of that sort. Thankfully, the mushroom cap was about central in relation to the walls of the container.

Harold.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    Lovely captures- the fly is obviously enjoying the soup :):
    Brian v.
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    Lovely captures- the fly is obviously enjoying the soup :):
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015