7% 16 votes

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    w00t! Great shots, all of you!

Come on people vote! you know you want to mwink.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I don't know about others but my browser does not show an image for " salazar - reflecting the past". I've have this problems both, with IE, as well as Firefox.

Might be an issue with his hosting. Since he's gotten some votes I'm assuming some people can see him.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing or is it just me?

BTW Some awesome images here.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Pyro,
    I don't know about others but my browser does not show an image for " salazar - reflecting the past". I've have this problems both, with IE, as well as Firefox.

Might be an issue with his hosting. Since he's gotten some votes I'm assuming some people can see him.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing or is it just me?

BTW Some awesome images here.

I see it alright in IE7, on two machines... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I knew you guys couldn't turn down the Hulk. Guess you know better then to get me mad! RRRRAAAHHHHH!
    :lift

Seriuosly though, Nice set of pictures.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 6, 2007
    Nice work, everyone. clap.gifclap It's going to be hard to choose this time.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Very nice selection representing different meanings of "change." Congrats to the judges and to everyone who entered. I'm going to have a think a bit before voting. But vote I will.

Virginia

Email
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    How did you manage to narrow it down to 10?
    headscratch.gif
    great stuff to sort through. I need a few days to think about this one. Nm I voted.... It just grabbed me too much.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Good luck everyone...sorry but I only had one vote. FYI-I've decided to NEVER EVER vote in another challenge.....rolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited March 6, 2007
    Evoryware,
    evoryware wrote:
    How did you manage to narrow it down to 10?
    headscratch.gif

We have used a rather complicated scientifically proven procedure called a "tossup".
    You throw your (wireless) keyboard in the air, and when it lands on its keys it occasionally produces numbers.
    Numbers from different judges were then intermixed. Like first digit of Erik's selected post number the ranked entry from David and his second digit was used as a factor for mine....
    It actually gets a little bit more complicated than that, but the results turned out to be OK :D

HTH
  • FlashFlash Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Where the heck are all the other entrees at, I don't see mine, so why even enter this fixed contest?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Flash wrote:
    Where the heck are all the other entrees at, I don't see mine, so why even enter this fixed contest?

First up i would ask that you keep a civil tone if you want a serious answer.

Here are the rules that you didnt read & i will ...just for you.. point out rule #2 ...UP to 10 finalists. Not all entries are chosen.
  • j photogj photog Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    First up i would ask that you keep a civil tone if you want a serious answer.

Here are the rules that you didnt read & i will ...just for you.. point out rule #2 ...UP to 10 finalists. Not all entries are chosen.

I agree about the tone...for sure. But I was a little disappointed. But it made me want to push harder. I'm really not so sure about the best photog contest after seeing these *sigh*
    I need to find some confidence!!! :twitch
    These were all so great.
    art is life
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    j photog wrote:
    I agree about the tone...for sure. But I was a little disappointed. But it made me want to push harder. I'm really not so sure about the best photog contest after seeing these *sigh*
    I need to find some confidence!!! :twitch
    These were all so great.
    Re the new contest. Just forget conventional, it can be soooo boring if you are not a pro...its that easy ! Forget the 1/3 rd rule...forget focus.. exposure & sharpness.

Maybe go for a walk with you camera in your hand down beside your leg & fire off shots indiscriminately as you walk along at people..shops...cars...tunnels..at the sun etc etc.

Get the shots home & literally turn them inside out in processing, do stuff you have never done before.

Never take a pro on at their own game as they are way too experienced for 99% of us so thus learn to skirt around them & attack from the sun where they cant see you coming.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Flash wrote:
    Flash, we have a friendly forum here. We have hard working, volunteer moderators and helpers around here. We have lots of great contributors. We strive for fairness and we demand honesty. We expect a sense of fair play from ALL participants.

Sadly, your posting exemplifies the exception to this rule. And it's not the first time. You are welcome to participate elsewhere, if you don't like it here.

If you continue with this attitude on Dgrin, I will show you the door myself. Am I clear?
  • FlashFlash Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I put allot of time into my entree and those are the best 10 ?
    Don't worry last time for this so called contest page
  • j photogj photog Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Re the new contest. Just forget conventional, it can be soooo boring if you are not a pro...its that easy ! Forget the 1/3 rd rule...forget focus.. exposure & sharpness.

You are so right. Thanks for the advice Gus! I wish everyone would just play nice. I hope this thread isn't ruined officially now.
    art is life
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Flash wrote:

I was not a judge, but if I were, this would have been my reply. Time spent on a photo does not give relevancy to the contest or endow the image with anything extra. All it means is that it took you X amount of time to finish it. Everyone is different and every image takes a different amount of time to finish. So the amount of time spent is irrelevant to the judging and to the viewers. All that matters is the image that results from the time spent.

Now, your image doesn't speak of change. The only thing that does is the title. And if you have to rely on a title to get your message across, the image is not working.

You have two elements to the image. Stars and stone. Both are objects that last a very long time and in the human time frame are both immovable and unchanging. So the overall theme of the photo is attractive immutability. Hardly an appropriate theme for a challenge about change wouldn't you agree?

Your photo looks great and is interesting, but it just doesn't apply. Spend more time thinking about how to create a photo relevant to the task and you may do better in the upcoming contest. You certainly have the skill needed everywhere else.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 7, 2007
    Flash,
    Flash wrote:

Sorry, buddy, not everyone wins every time. I know it myself from the bitter experience deal.gif . And, no, it was not fixed, in case you were not joking...rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 7, 2007
    Shay,
    Now, your image doesn't speak of change. The only thing that does is the title. And if you have to rely on a title to get your message across, the image is not working.

You have two elements to the image. Stars and stone. Both are objects that last a very long time and in the human time frame are both immovable and unchanging. So the overall theme of the photo is attractive immutability. Hardly an appropriate theme for a challenge about change wouldn't you agree?

That was my line of thoughts exactly. If there were at least star trails, it could have made a difference since it would deliver at least some notion of time or changes. But in its submitted form... Just as you said, this shot cries "immutable", "eternal". Very nice shot otherwise, but not for this subjectne_nau.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 7, 2007
    Quitters never win...
    Hey Flash, he really will show you the door. Trust me on this one pal. Don't give up on the challenges. They will make you a better photographer. I swear. You can't care about the judging. You can't care about winning. All that should matter is that the theme pushed you to produce an image you might not otherwise have been inclined to think about. It's tough to take a specific concept, them, emotion, action etc. and capture it with purpose in a given time span. That's the idea.

There are always many good entires that are not selected, like mine :D, again. :bash Every challenge is guest judged by the previous winner along with a dgrin mod so the judging standards are ambiguous and always changing. The top 10 are then voted on by the forum members which adds even more uncertainty to the eventual winner and the criterium on which the votes were based. What it all boils down to is that none of it matters so long as creating the image was a rewarding experience for the photographer. I know for me the challenges force me to pick up my camera during periods of of inactivity and that's reason enough for me to keep entering them.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    great collection of takes on this as usual, congrats to the finalists. Looks like we're in for a close race (again!)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Don't give up on the challenges. They will make you a better photographer. I swear. You can't care about the judging. You can't care about winning. All that should matter is that the theme pushed you to produce an image you might no otherwise have been inclined to think about.

yes, truth, I realized a long time ago (at my local city club contests) that even when I don't win, I've won...the end result is that I often DO have a photo I really like that I wouldn't have otherwise taken

win or lose, contests ARE great motivators to get out there and shoot nod.gif

* edited to add: I really liked your ice:)
  • explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    dont ban flash
    adminz,

please don't ban flash. he didnt abuse in any way or anything, just expressed anger and criticism. that's fine, its different. lets accept that people get upset, it's ok, and it says something about themselves rather than what they are upset about. look what a nice conversation his outbreak has caused. it's easy to ban and dismiss, but it's not any wiser than his outbreak. do you want to be a uniform community of overly friendly people who actually mask their emotions? or rather a dinamic environment where everyone can express what they FEEL, within boundaries of decency of course?

his/her anger is completely unjustified (to other people, me included), but expressing it turned actually into a chance for him to get a different perspective, and to grow as a person. now whether he will take that opportunity is entirely up to him. but if you ban him, he won't have that chance again. it's almost like "responding to violence with violence".

but he was not violent. just imature and unpolite, but hey, have you always been mature and polite? there are other ways to show people where they belong. banning is the easiest one, and you can always do it as a last resort. so why hurry. it's true that you shouldn't let things disrupt harmony TOO MUCH, but a bit of spice doesn't harm, dontya think?

to me it was fun to read this thread. the replies i mean, very nice and elegant. a pleasure, folks.

salut,
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
    edited March 7, 2007
    chertioga wrote:

just imature and unpolite,,
    And that's not the Dgrin way, sorry.

Photographers who compete should be gracious in defeat.
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Conrgrats to the top ten - a wonderful array of change to go with the new changes here! Good luck to all of you clap.gif
  • MartinoMartino Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Thank you!
    Wow, what a great bunch of photos! Thank you all very much for your votes. This is the first photo I have ever submitted for competition/review/critique anywhere, ever. I am blown away that I made the top ten and I am grateful, humbled and in shock to be among such great photographers. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I LOVE Dgrin!! Now, on to that Chilled/Steamy photo………wings.gif
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Beautiful group of photos! clap.gif
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And that's not the Dgrin way, sorry.

thumb.gif

Harsh as it sounds, I think this was the right call. I love Dgrin because, well, lets be honest. Most rational people turn into jerks as soon as they get a keyboard attached to an internet, and Dgrin is one of the few and far between bastions of politeness, kindness and sanity here on the internet. I was really worried that with the new contest, as well as the Fred Miranda fallout, that that would change.

Looks like our mods are well aware of that possibility, and are doing what they can to keep that from happening. its not that hard to be a decent person, and if you can't, plenty of other places on the web to be a jerk.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Nice Shots!
    Nice work all. It's a tough theme for a still medium!
    beer.gif
    Xris
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited March 8, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    I was really worried that with the new contest, as well as the Fred Miranda fallout, that that would change.
    Side note, I know many, many FMers. And I've been a member there forever. Well, they are by and large a great group of folks. We're lucky to have some of them joining us here!

Looks like our mods are well aware of that possibility, and are doing what they can to keep that from happening. its not that hard to be a decent person, and if you can't, plenty of other places on the web to be a jerk.
    Thanks Tyler, well said!