Options

Nick and Kelsey - First engagement shoot

ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited June 11, 2012 in Weddings
This was my first legitimate photoshoot where the date, location, multiple outfits, etc.. were planned. This was pretty informal since I know the two people very well, so I thought it was a great first shoot, and the atmosphere for myself and them was very pleasant. Had lots of time to try some things etc..

I am looking for some feedback, a simple "that's great!" or "that sucks" are always welcome, but if you don't like some, I would love to hear a reason why. I am pretty thick skinned and wanting to improve. Even suggestions on the display if you click through to the album. Main reason for that question is I posted a couple edits of I think 2 pictures. (I am aware that the originals are available and are not protected though.)

The full album can be found Here

So with all that, these are my personal favorite ones.

1.ASC5981-XL.jpg

2. ASC5997-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

3. ASC6040-XL.jpg

4. ASC6021-Edit-XL.jpg

5. ASC6098-XL.jpg

6. ASC6017-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

7. ASC6139-Edit-XL.jpg

8. ASC6155-Edit-XL.jpg

9. ASC6164-XL.jpg

10. ASC6102-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    8 is my fav!! Awesome pose ( I must steal this) and lighting looks good. Regarding #1 for future kiss poses.. I have been told the secret to the kiss is to ALMOST make contact, but not really touch. Then he wouldn't have a squished nostril :)
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    Thanks for the tip! Hadn't really noticed that, but once you said it, I looked and found it bothers me haha. Great to know for the next chance I get. The lighting was tough for me, it was mostly a bright sunny day, but some thick puffy clouds moving through. Ran into a lot of harsh shadows across the faces due to the angles we were and such. Found myself trying to use my reflector more than I ever have, and even a fill flash on a couple of them. Number 2 was with a reflector, and 3 was the flash, took a few takes to get the power right, but that's what practice on family is for!
  • Options
    jodieoliverjodieoliver Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    9 is my favorite. Good Job. Love the light, pose and crop! :)
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited June 11, 2012
    Since you asked for detailed feedback, here is DETAILED feedback :)
    Overall you have great posing, there's a lot of variety and it looks like they were having fun, which is awesome!
    Deep dive:
    - I like the feeling in #1 a LOT, but the post is slightly distracting. If I were to reshoot, I'd either move and get close & intimate (and that's how the post would disappear), or I'd pick a cleaner background. (that is totally nitpicky though)
    - I like #2, great posing actually. I'd be curious to see what other angles could've worked while you were there, so moving about 3 steps to your left, to give her head a little more space, and possibly not having him flat footed, see what that would look like.
    - #3 I like the clean look but the posing could be improved on this one. This would have been more flattering shot from higher, or, if not possible, have her lean forward. She's starting to get a bit of a double chin here, and her belly is not in the most flattering position. Having them lean forward would also make their eyes look a little bigger which would be nice because they have radiant smiles :)
    - #4 Fun action, love her look/reaction. If you want to go a little nutso in nitpicking I'd be careful about the shadow across his nose, but that's really looking at it pixel by pixel :p The mood is there and that's what counts for a cool action shot!
    - #5 Not the most flattering post for her for a few reasons - she's square on, which you want to avoid in general for women, and she's flat footed. You have better ones in your set - for eg http://www.zlbphotography.com/Clients/Nick-and-Kelsey/NandC/23230737_hwLP63#!i=1873506376&k=6W2qdQC Look at that - nice bending of the knee, all the weight on the back foot, nice angle on the face - a much better shot.
    - #6 cool composition, nice moment, but they're flat footed, so in an ideal world, they'd pick up that right foot :)
    - #7 nice! Great light, flattering composition and posing, cool moment. I actually love the fact that this one focuses on the groom to be; most photographers focus so much on the bride that guys don't have cool photos for the bride to pick from ;-)
    - #8 what a great look in her eyes! Look at the wind in her hair and the light! Well done.
    - #9 Nicely posed, great moment, might be a little too softened for my personal taste, but that's a stylistic choice and super uber subjective.
    - #10 I have the same feedback as the other one you had posted in the series; love the arm wrapped around her waist, but that other one you have with her front leg bent is soooo muuuuch better!

Hope that helps and keep going!
  • Options
    GRodGRod Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    I think over all you did a very good job. I would just pay a little more attention to your background like in #6,7. The pine tree and the tree stump are pulling your eye away from the couple. That doesn't mean you have to photoshop them out but adjusting you aperture could be a easier fix. Photo's #8,9 are beautiful. You captured a moment of tenderness. That's always a big hit with the couple's. (nice) Your placement of the couple in #10 in interesting. The negative space in that image is distracting due to all the trees and the road below. Can't put my finger as to why this image doesn't work for me but I get the idea. As far as posing goes, it takes time. The more couples you shoot the easier it will be to pose them and to develop your own personal style. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    That's some great feedback from both of you, and exactly what I'm after. For post processing, I've been toying around a lot with different things, but can't seem to find something I'm drawn to consistently except for bright vibrant colors. I love colors, which is why they are mostly out of camera with some color enhancements and crops on some.

Thank you very much for the comments and feedback, definitely the things I am after so I can improve.