Options

Pre-wedding Las Vegas

simplelogiksimplelogik Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited June 21, 2012 in Weddings
Travelled 15,000km and shot two pre-wedding while I was in Vegas for a wedding convention and taekwondo tournament .. It's crazy to see 16,000 wedding photographers gathered at one place. Got to see the like of Jerry Ghionis, Scott Robert Lim, Jose Villa, Bambi Cantrell and Sue Bryce talk and felt pretty humbled to see some of the works that won awards over there .. crazy amount of talent at WPPI!!

1)
IMG2585-Edit-XL.jpg
2)
IMG2600-Edit-XL.jpg
3)
IMG2549-Edit-XL.jpg
4)
IMG2744-Edit-XL.jpg
5)
IMG2572-Edit-XL.jpg
6)
IMG2718-Edit-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Thanks for reminding me how much I suck. Just WOW with these.

Entertain me, what kind of sync speed are you pushing here?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    WOWeee!!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    beleinhobeleinho Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2012
    Travelled 15,000km and shot two pre-wedding while I was in Vegas for a wedding convention and taekwondo tournament .. It's crazy to see 16,000 wedding photographers gathered at one place. Got to see the like of Jerry Ghionis, Scott Robert Lim, Jose Villa, Bambi Cantrell and Sue Bryce talk and felt pretty humbled to see some of the works that won awards over there .. crazy amount of talent at WPPI!!

1)
    IMG2585-Edit-XL.jpg
    2)
    IMG2600-Edit-XL.jpg
    3)
    IMG2549-Edit-XL.jpg
    4)
    IMG2744-Edit-XL.jpg
    5)
    IMG2572-Edit-XL.jpg
    6)
    IMG2718-Edit-XL.jpg

I liked this Thread
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    gorgeous
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Not only gorgeous here...but on your website too. Wonderful imagery.

Thanks for sharing your work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited March 13, 2012
    Stunning work - love the lighting and the post-processing sensibility. I've also looked through your website and to quote Jerry... be careful about shooting women on the broad side - the slender women can get away with it, but in general shooting on the shadow side is more flattering :D
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Think they should just put #2 on the cover of Bride magazine now. Beautiful work!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Wowee some really original stlye shots here! Love the over stylised imagery. Have you done many wedding shots in this style?
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Awesome! Love the impact, composition, and quality of the all of them!
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Awesome! Love the impact, composition, and quality of the all of them!

I agree what a superb composition! Lokks like you had a lot fo fun.
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know I don't post here very often but it's nice to have the positive and constructive feedback. eg broad side lighting, I didn't know what that is, so had to Googled it up :). I normally just place the light and shoot it without thinking too much. If it looks OK, I'll keep the photo, if not I move and try again :)

It's weird but I posted this same thread on another forum and I received a pretty nasty response. It's strange to see such difference in oppinion, the only thing I could think of is the other forums are mainly IT teckies so they see things differently ??

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1018990

r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me how much I suck. Just WOW with these.

Entertain me, what kind of sync speed are you pushing here?

I just use the max sync speed, I think it was either 1/160 or 1/200 @ f10+ or above on the 5D mk II. The guideline is to meter for the background light first and then adjust the flash to suite. #4 is what it's like when the flash didn't triggered.

sphynge wrote: »
    Stunning work - love the lighting and the post-processing sensibility. I've also looked through your website and to quote Jerry... be careful about shooting women on the broad side - the slender women can get away with it, but in general shooting on the shadow side is more flattering :D

Thanks, I checked up on broad lighting :) Will keep that in mind in the future.
    Wowee some really original stlye shots here! Love the over stylised imagery. Have you done many wedding shots in this style?

I'm still pretty green in this area but I try to shoot in a way that's similar to what you see in fashion magazines. As mentioned above some people think that it's too cold, too detached and void of emotion, but it's just something that I like.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Stunning Beautiful! Can you share a bit about your post workflow?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    GRodGRod Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Those are some amazing images. What do you do to get images that look like that? I'm sure the first tihing is to get right in the camera. In post editing, do you use a special program, preset or action? Thanks for sharing your images.
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Great stuff! Kudos! What kind of strobe were you pushing with these? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    Cindy wrote: »
    Stunning Beautiful! Can you share a bit about your post workflow?

Hi Cindy,

The original image is very similar to the retouched. I'll post up the before & after in a couple of days, got to go to bed as it's 2am here in Perth :).
    GRod wrote: »
    Those are some amazing images. What do you do to get images that look like that? I'm sure the first tihing is to get right in the camera. In post editing, do you use a special program, preset or action? Thanks for sharing your images.

It's just a strobe (Einstein) and a $2 umbrella. Ideally I would use the PLM but we didn't have enough room for in luggage to carry spare modifiers to Vegas.
    chuckdee1 wrote: »
    Great stuff! Kudos! What kind of strobe were you pushing with these? Thanks!

Paul C Buff Einstein.

Here's a copy of the behind the scene shot :).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150575749005940&set=a.391328190939.176102.298290820939&type=1&theater

Cheers
    Richard.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    sphynge wrote: »

Hi Caroline :) ... Jen mentioned that you contacted her. We had a look at your web site and think your work is AWESOME :) !!!

Cheers
    Richard.
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited March 22, 2012
    Thanks Richard... I LOVE RIGHT BACK ATCHA :D
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2012
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Great stuff!
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know I don't post here very often but it's nice to have the positive and constructive feedback. eg broad side lighting, I didn't know what that is, so had to Googled it up :). I normally just place the light and shoot it without thinking too much. If it looks OK, I'll keep the photo, if not I move and try again :)

It's weird but I posted this same thread on another forum and I received a pretty nasty response. It's strange to see such difference in oppinion, the only thing I could think of is the other forums are mainly IT teckies so they see things differently ??

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1018990

I just use the max sync speed, I think it was either 1/160 or 1/200 @ f10+ or above on the 5D mk II. The guideline is to meter for the background light first and then adjust the flash to suite. #4 is what it's like when the flash didn't triggered.

Thanks, I checked up on broad lighting :) Will keep that in mind in the future.

I'm still pretty green in this area but I try to shoot in a way that's similar to what you see in fashion magazines. As mentioned above some people think that it's too cold, too detached and void of emotion, but it's just something that I like.
    Hi Cindy,

The original image is very similar to the retouched. I'll post up the before & after in a couple of days, got to go to bed as it's 2am here in Perth :).

It's just a strobe (Einstein) and a $2 umbrella. Ideally I would use the PLM but we didn't have enough room for in luggage to carry spare modifiers to Vegas.

Paul C Buff Einstein.

Here's a copy of the behind the scene shot :).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150575749005940&set=a.391328190939.176102.298290820939&type=1&theater

Cheers
    Richard.

What and where is powering that Einstein?! :)
  • Options
    spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    wow really like the shots. very crisp and great lighting.
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Stellar.
  • Options
    caodoancaodoan Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2012
    i like beautiful color and the angle of your personality
  • Options
    Robert_CRobert_C Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    Wow. Love all your photos. Especially number 2 and 5.thumb.gif
    www.bobbycanlobophotos.com

“Photography is not about cameras, gadgets, and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” - Peter Adams, photographer ( Sydney, 1978 )
  • Options
    hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    These are gorgeous, just a few cirques. Number 3 makes him look a little large, maybe some post work could help with that. The colors look quite over done, not sure if its the style you were going for or the sun was harsh.
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug