Options

Wedding shooting tricks?

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited June 17, 2012 in Weddings
Me again.. looking to learn more.. again.

When you shoot a wedding, what are your do's and don't's?

I am trying to learn as much as I can as I have a wedding coming up on the 1st..
While couple knows that I have never shot a weeding, and not entirely comfortable taking unto a task as such, they want me to shoot it for them. :\

I am all set gear-wise... as much as my wallet can allow for the time being, at least.
I have a d700 and a d300s combo, with an armament of <2.8 glass; 4 SB-600, 2 sb-900, wireless triggers.. that part I can deal with.

What I am looking for is the technique suggestions.. Are there any posing tips specific to the bridals? how about maids of honor? bouquet positioning?

All in all, lay your best tips on me, if you don't mind sharing them. I know I've learned a great deal thanks to many of you, and am hoping that you can teach me even more.

Thank you in advance.
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    uhhhh....

couple things.

Relax. Get the flow of the wedding and "run" with it, meaning be prepared to deal with whatever may happen. Look on the web for posing ideas if you do not have an idea where to start on posing.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    Thank you! :) I've been going through the wedding sites for last several months (since they've informed me of my mission).

There are some tricks that I have heard of, in regard how the bouquet is to be posed, how the maids are to be standing that I can't find any further info on :(
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    What you are asking is advice on particular style's. Very difficult question to answer. As far as posing "We" prefer everyone as close together as possible. Angled bodies, toe pointed towards the camera, bent limbs leaning forward, etc. but that is our particular style. First you have to get them in the right light (that's more important). Like I said, that is a very difficult question to answer. Here is the best advice I ever heard: Fake it until you don't have to fake it. I'd go with Moogie Pepper's advice at least until you find what particular style you lean towards.

Best of luck - and I love the fact that you are asking questions.

KLinh
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    heh..it's good that you are trying to prepare. But my experience is that there are so many different moving pieces, time constraints, unexpected moments in a wedding..nothing you may have planned for will turn out the way you want. In the end, know your equipment and try and visit the site before. Literally you will have to bumble through the 1st couple of weddings and just soak it the process as much as you. Right now you don't even know the questions to ask and relevance of the answers in a meaningful way. My one piece of "advice" is to shoot as many social gatherings (dinner with friends, b-day parties, compnay events, etc) between now and the wedding..no advice can substitute field experience.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    A quick look at your website tells me you have the camera and setting pretty well down, so all you need to do is think about the wedding and how it flows.

Is this a big or small wedding? Can you afford to hire a second more experienced wedding photographer?

Think about having a go to person to help identify everyone, corral people for posed shots, generally assist with organizational chores.

I wouldn't stress out on the formal poses too much. Get one or two pretty standard group poses in mind, and get them done. Now if you have time and have an additional idea go for it.

Don't commit to a lot of must have shots. Tell them you will try for them but if you commit you will be so worried about the must haves you will miss a lot of other opportunities.

Shoot a photojournalist style.

Weddings move very quickly for us photographers, and the schedules are ever changing. Do your best to go with the flow and shoot.

Sam
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Have you met with the clients and discussed what THEY want? Advance knowledge is key. Knowing what they want, and also knowing what they intend to do, allows you to plan your movements so you'll be ready for what happens. Have they hired an ordinary limo, or some fancy tricked-out roadster, or maybe a classic old-style car? They may want pics in it or in front of it, and you'll need to plan for that. Is the DJ or band someone they hired, or a family friend? They may want detailed pics. Is the officiant a family friend? They may want close-ups. Is there a special spot in the ceremony or reception venue where they might want private pics? Is there a spot in either venue, or even nearby (between the venues) where they might want private shots?

They may not have given this any thought, but in your meetings before the wedding you should have at least asked if there were any particular subjects, poses, or locations they want, as well as any specific combinations of the bridal party and relatives. You'd be surprised how many couples actually do have some specific ideas but don't say anything about them till the day of the wedding, then forget or don't bring it up till it's too late.

Example: "I want a pic of me with Uncle Charlie!" Problem: Uncle Charlie took off for the reception venue as soon as the ceremony was over and didn't stick around for the formals, so you have to catch that pic at the reception.

But the reception is heavily scheduled, so by the time you find a few minutes where you can get Bride and Uncle Charlie together, Charlie has had a lengthy conversation with Uncle Jack (Daniels) and is now sweaty, stumbling, puffy-eyed, red-cheeked, his jacket is off, his tie is loosened, and his shirt-tail is hanging half out; Bride has already danced a half-dozen times, has removed the veil, her hair has deflated, and she's sweating like a Hatfield at a McCoy family reunion; and the only available spot for a formal posed pic is in front of a buffet table that looks like NOLA after Katrina, or a blank white wall between two lighting sconces that completely trash your exposure.

Result: Lousy pic. If you'd only known ahead of time that Bride wanted that pic with Uncle Charlie, you could have asked Uncle Charlie in advance to stick around after the ceremony and gotten the pic as part of the formal set.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    heh..it's good that you are trying to prepare. But my experience is that there are so many different moving pieces, time constraints, unexpected moments in a wedding..nothing you may have planned for will turn out the way you want.
    Hoenstly, Ive read through so many magazines and books, saw so many threads and videos/conventions. I think it is more hurting me now rather than helping.. ne_nau.gif I concur.
    Literally you will have to bumble through the 1st couple of weddings and just soak it the process as much as you.
    Now, thats a word of encouragement. rolleyes1.gif
    Right now you don't even know the questions to ask and relevance of the answers in a meaningful way. My one piece of "advice" is to shoot as many social gatherings (dinner with friends, b-day parties, compnay events, etc) between now and the wedding..no advice can substitute field experience.
    Very true, and a damn great idea!! thank you!
    Sam wrote: »
    A quick look at your website tells me you have the camera and setting pretty well down, so all you need to do is think about the wedding and how it flows.
    thank you, sir.
    Is this a big or small wedding? Can you afford to hire a second more experienced wedding photographer?
    By my standards (where I grew up) it is a huge wedding.. but I am told that based on American tradition it is rather.. mediocre - 100 or so people.ne_nau.gif No way I can afford to hire someone.
    Think about having a go to person to help identify everyone, corral people for posed shots, generally assist with organizational chores.

Don't commit to a lot of must have shots. Tell them you will try for them but if you commit you will be so worried about the must haves you will miss a lot of other opportunities.
    Already done. (YESS, I did something right!!)

Thank you Sam!
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Have you met with the clients and discussed what THEY want?

Absolutely. They are our (my second half and I) very good friends. We've already been to the location, and I am planning on attending the "practice" (however you call it in English :D)
    Have they hired an ordinary limo, or some fancy tricked-out roadster, or maybe a classic old-style car? They may want pics in it or in front of it, and you'll need to plan for that.
    They have an old classic (perfectly restored) car that we'll be shooting with for at least a little bit.
    We have discussed in length what pictures they would like, and options. They were also kind enough to provide me with the samples of some of the images.
    Is there a spot in either venue, or even nearby (between the venues) where they might want private shots?
    yes; we have already picked a few spots out.
    They may not have given this any thought, but in your meetings before the wedding you should have at least asked if there were any particular subjects, poses, or locations they want, as well as any specific combinations of the bridal party and relatives. You'd be surprised how many couples actually do have some specific ideas but don't say anything about them till the day of the wedding, then forget or don't bring it up till it's too late.
    Yes sir, I have discussed that with them. We spent almost 4 hours discussing this.

Thank you, thank you thank you thank you! I can't thank you guys enough for all the suggestions and guidance.
    Quite honestly, this board is the only forum/board that never seizes to amaze and educate me. thank you!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2012
    Also. Don't forget... c.o.n.t.r.a.c.t. If you don't have one already.

100 or so people being mediocre? You can get more intimate scenes with a smaller wedding.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2012
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Great topic, keep 'em coming!

My biggest thing is to just be prepared and go into the gig with confidence. The night before is usually dedicated to charging, AF calibration checking, sensor cleaning if necessary, memory card counting, etc.

Basic stuff, yes, but still the most critical. I'll look forward to reading other people's tips!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Also. Don't forget... c.o.n.t.r.a.c.t. If you don't have one already.

100 or so people being mediocre? You can get more intimate scenes with a smaller wedding.

I'll second that - a contract is absolutely essential, especially when you are shooting a friend's wedding.

You said that you have spent more than 4 hours discussing what they want. You sound like you have a pretty good idea what they want. But what if you think one thing and they think something else? You talked about so many things, maybe you came away believing A, but they came away believing B.

A contract spells everything out very clearly and avoids accidental misunderstandings. They will know exactly what you're going to do and what you're going to provide, and you will know exactly what they expect you to do and what they expect you to provide.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    i believe this is your first wedding? if it is, then make sure you create a list of 'must have shots' and review them once in awhile during the wedding. chances are, you will forget to shoot 'something' and you'll only remember when you're already reviewing the photos...

on my first wedding, i forgot a lot of detail shots.
  • Options
    MPWMPW Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Foques wrote: »

I am trying to learn as much as I can as I have a wedding coming up on the 1st..
    While couple knows that I have never shot a weeding, and not entirely comfortable taking unto a task as such, they want me to shoot it for them. :\

I am all set gear-wise... as much as my wallet can allow for the time being, at least.
    I have a d700 and a d300s combo, with an armament of <2.8 glass; 4 SB-600, 2 sb-900, wireless triggers.. that part I can deal with.

What I am looking for is the technique suggestions.. Are there any posing tips specific to the bridals? how about maids of honor? bouquet positioning?

All in all, lay your best tips on me, if you don't mind sharing them. I know I've learned a great deal thanks to many of you, and am hoping that you can teach me even more.

Thank you in advance.

Always check your settings. Don't assume your gear is ready for the next shot.
    If your in fast paced action switch to AI servo focusing.
    You likely already read to cover hands with the bouquet. I like to tell brides to hold the bouquet like a light saber. They get it. However, it is not a hard and fast rule in my book. There is something to be said for the casual/contemporary look.
    Posing - the skies the limit. I do a quick check and reminder prior to any shoot by searching google images for bride, bridal party, wedding pictures and the like to see if something appeals to me.

The wedding day is an exchange of the couples love for each other. It is easy to ask the bride and groom to get into dramatic and even sensual positions. They will be more than willing.

I use my admittedly corny humor as much as possible to elicit smiles and surprised reactions.

Hope this helps!

Mike
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    You have got lot of great tips from more experienced people here. Here are two things I'd add to that,
    First - be in charge, dont show nervousness and
    Second - have fun.
    This 2 things will trump every other technique that you could think of.
    If you show nervousness (or any short of negative vibe) it will feed into B&G and it will start showing in your frames.
    Having fun makes yourself less stressful as well as helps others around you feel more comfortable. Which brings more positive frames for you.
    Rest all is practice and knowing your gear.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Have you met with the clients and discussed what THEY want? Advance knowledge is key. Knowing what they want, and also knowing what they intend to do, allows you to plan your movements so you'll be ready for what happens.

I was wondering when someone was going to get around to mentioning meeting with the client to determine what they want...what they expect...their projected time line.

Example: Some anecdotal musings...(since I see that you've met with the clients)

1. Last wedding I shot...April 7th...met with bride and groom...wedding was in a bed and breakfast with 20 guests in a smallish parlor room...with very dark grey and gold wall paper...

After discussing the room and space available for shooting the wedding in real time, the bride, much to my surprise, told me that I wouldn't be shooting the wedding as it happened, because she didn't want me distracting the guests and interfering with the guests experience. Everything would be reinacted...What, what!!! Okay by me. And, no wedding gown...no flower toss...no garter toss...and I think you get the picture. However, they did want nice shots with all the family members. So, I brought in the studio strobe...a week before...got the lighting and angles right for the beautiful staircase right off of the parlor and used my strobe for all the family and friend shots. Nice touch...they loved it, and only took 15 minutes to set up on their wedding day, which I did before hand, and put it in the dinning room until I needed it.

What they did want during the ceremony was a couple of flash shots of the guests watching the wedding...this after I explained that the only way that I could get pictures of the wedding guests was to light them with flash, as the guests would be back lit by three large widows...okay with them, and me too. Luckily, I was able to get wide enough to not only get the guests, but also the ceremony and the bride and groom frontals as there were two doors, one on either side of the ceremony

So, you can see...meeting with your clients means a lot. And, anything can go...it's what client wants.

2. That was a small wedding...Now for the last big wedding that I shot...around 200 in attendance...engagements, rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, wedding, and reception.

What I learned from my meeting with my clients. One, that they wanted the full range of photos on the wedding day...from formals of the wedding party, with family members, to lots of candids and photo journalistic shots at all other times. Hmmm...okay. So, as I spoke with them...I asked where the reception was going to be. Oh, in a town 15 miles away...hmmm...and the time for the ceremony and what time does the reception start...30 minutes after the pastor pronounced them man and wife. What, what!!!...no way. What about formals after the wedding with family members...we'll just have to be fast...yeah...like as we run out the door. Not going to work, is what I told them...I have to have time to take the formals...after the ceremony...family with the husband and wife, etc...okay. Sure...the bride said, she'd speak to the wedding planner, which they had, and fix this...it needs to be at least an hour...what with travel time from the church to the rehearsal venue.

Wedding day...no such luck...nothing had been changed...30 minutes between the end of the wedding and the beginning of the reception. So, my solution was to do separate formals of the bridal parities before the wedding using my studio flash...and after the wedding, we used my camera flash for formals with the husband and wife and their family members...no time to set up the studio flash again...then, the pastor wanted the stage reset for a big children's event the next morning...all of which the bridal party and family were obliged to facilitate. So, while I was packing my gear, the newly weds and their family were reseting the stage...pulpit, chairs, removing flowers, tables etc., and whatever else. Did we get to the rehearsal on time...nope...but, it all worked out...it started when the newly weds got there...lol...and went smoothly from there...

What were they thinking...got me...but, like Scott Quier once said, it is what it is....you do your best to time line things...and well, refer to what Scott said.

Be sure to attend the rehearsal, if they're having one...what did I learn from that...well, that the wedding planner was, and did, back light the ceremony during the rehearsal, that is until I took a picture of the wedding couple, backlit...and showed it to her. I told her, with the lights like this...your not going to see their faces without flash....and flash wasn't allowed. Turns out that she was more than accommodating and pointed me to the lights...and said...get the light right. If I hadn't attended the rehearsal, I would have not been able to shoot the ceremony...the lighting would have been all wrong.

All in all, they loved the images...at least that's what the mother of the bride said...lol...

Why did I go to the trouble to write all of this in to my post...because...I wanted to illustrate the value of meeting with the client and reconnoitering the venue...so that you can figure out your shooting solutions...and then, when things go whack...it won't be so bad...

Just some food for thought. Weddings are more than just being able to take good images in a lot of different lighting conditions.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Great post Ed!!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Designated coordinator

Thank you in advance.

In the contract and your meeting, ensure the bride and groom have an individual who coordinates the formals. This may even be the bride. This way you are sure to obtain all the images the bride and groom request. Get it in writing. However, include a clause in your contract that releases you from liability if one or more images are missing do to their or your forgetting, malfunction, or natural disaster. Stuff happens.

Also, image the family and any guests first in the formals then wedding party and bride and groom last. That way they can celebrate earlier; elderly can relax, or escape the weather if its an outdoor wedding and children won't become as restless.

Mike
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    That was a great post, Ed. As for myself, I have second shot many and felt ready to step out on my own -- recently shot my first as the main (and only) shooter.

I would attend the ceremony rehersal if at all possible. As luck had it, my first gig was in a church that I haven't shot in before. I also knew the ceremony was going to be shorter than what I am used to working. Aside from scoping out the lighting and venue, after seeing the rehearsal, I knew the pace of the ceremony was simply not going to allow me to move much for different shots. For example, I had planned to get a nice wide balcony shot. After seeing just how quick this ceremony was going to move, I decided to set up a remote camera on a tripod to get the shot -- had I chanced going up the balcony, it may have been a disaster.

Recon the area at the reception venue where the bridal party will enter. Ed' s comments on timeline are spot on. Without some planning you will feel like you are racing your own clients from venue to venue and even shot to shot. Get with the DJ or event planner in advance. Around here, many folks use a planner or the DJ as the reception controller and they control the flow of events at the reception and I treat them like my good buddy. Get the schedule from them and let them know what you will need to go from cake cutting to another point. I've found that if you work with these folks they will do you nice favors - not hammering you on time, making sure you're in position and even politely announcing to all the uncle bobs in the room to make sure they allow the professional room to get the shot.

I also like to time sync my bodies so the files line up when I download the files. Easier post work. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Masters

Thank you in advance.

One more thing...
    Study from published masters.
    Two that heavily influenced me are David Ziser and Cliff Mautner. If your budget allows, purchase videos or books from each of these guru's. Once you start looking for yourself you will likely find a master or two that appeals to you and the style you want or want to develop. David uses an assistant for off camera lighting. I suggest you do the same. Ideally a second shooter would be best that could either hold a 3ft. reflector or off camera lighting(flash or video light). Both go into positioning and posing of the bride and groom and entire wedding party. If you are unable to acquire wedding posing and imaging publications or videos use your preferred search engine to search for butterfly lighting, portrait lighting, Rembrandt, split lighting. Look very closely at portraits of brides or any one for that matter. Specifically, their eyes. The catch light will tell you the direction and in some instances you can even determine the lighting source. Look for photos that appeal to you then zoom in to view the catch light in the subjects eyes.

Don't rule out fashion or bridal magazines for influence or inspiration either.

Finally, practice. I don't have the luxury of having models to practice on so I used my daughters lifelike dolls to experiment with light direction and quality.

Mike
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    A note about the title. There really are no tricks/magic bullet to this.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    If you don't have an assistant or a second shooter, try to limit your gear. It can be a bear to haul all your gear (camera and lens, tripod, reflectors, step ladder, light stand, etc...). A wedding goes by pretty fast and you don't want to lose time (miss shots) hauling/setting up your gear.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Great post Ed!!!! Sam

Thanks Sam and Nago.

Couple of more things I've been thinking about...indirect lighting. On camera flash...bounce it. Even if the ceilings are 12 feet high...set your camera to 800 ISO and see what happens...it's all about adding light, not drowning in light...nothing looks worse than pictures where there's a second shadow person in the background...and if you have a lot of light fall off, it's really hard to remove those shadows in post processing. Just take a test shot and adjust your ISO and flash output as needed.

Your camera's flash, shoot it straight up...throw it into a corner...or over your shoulder...or bounce it off of a wall. I never use a diffuser on my flash...and I never point it at anyone...at least not indoors. Here's another tip...when bouncing the flash...generally, when bouncing your flash, try to never let any of the strobe's light directly hit your subject...so that means...unless you have significant ambient light in the room...that the flash should be turned slightly more than 90 degrees from the subject.

Here's one instance where I do use some forward flash. If you have a little white pull up flap on your flash...practice using it with your flash set to 60 degrees...or more. If the situation warrants it...if you have to direct flash...actually most of the flash is going up...and then, ride your flash compensation while watching your histogram...useful for when there is nothing in the BG that's going to produce a shadow, and the ceilings are too high and the walls are too far away.

Your histogram is the secret to getting good exposure. I've shot so many images where I thought, hmmm...looks good on the rear display...must not pay attention to histogram here...and it never fails that when I get home and get the images on my desktop...with calibrated monitor, that I wish that I'd paid attention to that histogram...and adjusted my flash output. That's past history...now I do.

And, take duplicates...I like to say that my motto is, "One more please." When I asked for one more shot, I'm doing a couple of things...usually, I've already chimped...looked for shadows, blinkers, weird lips...diverted eyes, background conflicts, and looked at the histogram. If the histogram is not right, I jump on the flash compensation dial and add a stop, or take one away, or maybe less, depending what the histogram tells me. And, if I'm not satisfied with the second, I ask for a third...no one is going to remember that you asked for three shots...if you give them a great picture of themselves.

Here's one more thing that I've learned to do when shooting people. Some people are sensitive to flashed light...like to the preflash that is emitted just prior to the main flash being emitted. As soon as they see the preflash, they blink...aka...blinkers...so, every time you shoot them...they have their eyes closed. Here's what I do...with my D700...I have programmed one of the front buttons to, when pressed, fire the preflash, works even on my SB900...this sets up the camera so that when you press the shutter release, there's only one flash...they still blink, but after the flash, and after the picture has been taken...eyes open. I find this so helpful, that I've left it programmed.

It works like this...pointer finger depresses the shutter release halfway to focus and you compose image in viewfinder...ring finger of same hand triggers the preflash...then pointer finger triggers shutter.

Here's one other really good tip. If you're thinking about some outside shots with the newlyweds, and you should be, be sure to scout those locations at the same time of day that you'll actually be shooting that location, at least a couple of days prior to the shoot. The sun has a nasty habit of moving...in the late afternoon angles change quickly...light that was once coming from over or behind, now comes zooming in under the trees...camera left or right of where you thought it would be. It happens like this...you arrive at the wedding venue at four o'clock...for a five o'clock wedding...scout some outside locations...(last minute scouting) enter the venue...do all of your preliminary shooting...the wedding...the post wedding images, and then it's outside, at around five-forty-five...an hour and forty-five minutes later...what, what...the sun has dropped in the sky and nothing looks the same. Now, you have the newlyweds at your side, and you have to think really fast...because, if you do like I do...and I have some good locations picked out, I'm already telling the newlyweds that I have some great locations for us to take photos. This is not a good surprise.

I hope this helps...good luck...take charge...act like you know what you are doing...take some good images and you'll do fine.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    I've only been to weddings as a guest (plus once as the bride) or parent or grandparent of one of the participants. When I was married, it was long enough ago that the official photographer was shooting only in B&W film. My father had the guy that ran his electron microscope to come and do color shots, plus after he got done with father-of-the-briding, he took photos and movies (in the days before video), and my father-in-law took movies and my parents belonged to a camera club and all of them came to the wedding and they all took photos. The two official photographers did formal groups at our house (where the bridesmaids gathered to go to the church) - me and my dad, me and my mom, me and the bridesmaids, etc. Then after the ceremony, everyone exited the church thru a receiving line and we went back in for formal photos of the wedding party after which there was the ceremonial sword arch (my husband was in the Navy). And we stood there on the steps of the church under the arch for what seemed like a long time - long enough that in some of the photos you can see my shoe that I've eased off dangling out under my dress at an odd angle. This was one of the camera club or friend's photos

0366-000001530007.jpg
    The guy taking color photo got excited when we did the kiss at the alter and got it crooked
    00000053-1.JPG

This is one photographer on the lawn taking a photo of Bob getting ready to throw the garter - you can see the B&W photographer on the porch behind us
    00001013-1.JPG

I think you are lucky not to be using that kind equipment still.

Incidentally I was married in 1959 (still married to him), but the dress was originally my grandmother's wedding dress when she was married in 1905.

When I go to a wedding as a friend or relative, I try to get photos of all the relatives. So I'd advise you to ask the mother of the bride or some family member to point out to you the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. If it wasn't for the photos, I would not have remembered who was there.

I will station myself at the church entrance and take photos of people as they come in. I have also heard of putting small disposable cameras on the tables at the reception and encouraging the people at the table to take photos of each other.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    my advice is relax you can take pictures so thats a lot not to worry about next visit the location and plan what you are going to take plan for bad weather( not sure on your climate) talk to couple get there ideas and give them some of yours. ask if there are any specials to be done with relatives or friends, you dont want surprises on the day. good luck
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    I am reading many of these tips with a sigh of relief.. A lot of these come as a "duh" to me. I knew all the time i've spent on this board wasn't in vain! :)

Ed, thank you for the wide open answers, these definitely help.

thank you all!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Lol, I'm pouring over this thread also. Several weeks ago, I was informed I would be shooting my sons small wedding, arghhh, I did my best to talk him out of it, or even bringing in a second shooter, nope. I saw some wedding shoots, videos recently where some of the lighting was a variable output modeling light. I liked the idea, because you could see right then, what the shot would be and am contemplating getting one of the led 126's or 160's and trying it. I dug and found the specs on most of them are right around 5,500 when on full and they last for 4-8 hours. Here's a YouTube query on shooting weddings. I have found tutorials are quite handy here, I'm a visual learner, hope it helps. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shooting+weddings&oq=shooting+weddings&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0.251.3762.0.4212.17.15.0.2.2.0.190.2140.2j13.15.0...0.0.qpGIzyNNVaw

Hope all this helps. Between Dgrins and some vids, I'm sure things will go quite well. :D
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    I acquired a DVD set of ICE society "how to", led by Jerry Ghionis; this set seems to be super helpful.
    While most of his advices are the same ones presented here, in this thread, he also critiques photos of other shooters, offering alternative ways of doing things.. very interesting.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Lol, I'm pouring over this thread also. Several weeks ago, I was informed I would be shooting my sons small wedding, arghhh, I did my best to talk him out of it, or even bringing in a second shooter, nope. I saw some wedding shoots, videos recently where some of the lighting was a variable output modeling light. I liked the idea, because you could see right then, what the shot would be and am contemplating getting one of the led 126's or 160's and trying it. I dug and found the specs on most of them are right around 5,500 when on full and they last for 4-8 hours. Here's a YouTube query on shooting weddings. I have found tutorials are quite handy here, I'm a visual learner, hope it helps. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shooting+weddings&oq=shooting+weddings&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0.251.3762.0.4212.17.15.0.2.2.0.190.2140.2j13.15.0...0.0.qpGIzyNNVaw

Hope all this helps. Between Dgrins and some vids, I'm sure things will go quite well. :D

You did your best to talk him out of the wedding, or just to talk him out of having you shoot it? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited May 16, 2012
    I'm also in the ICE society and it is really really helpful so good for you! clap.gif
    I acquired a DVD set of ICE society "how to", led by Jerry Ghionis; this set seems to be super helpful.
    While most of his advices are the same ones presented here, in this thread, he also critiques photos of other shooters, offering alternative ways of doing things.. very interesting.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    You have read through all the stickies in this forum already, yeah?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!