Options

Gotham City

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited August 29, 2015 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2015
    This is quite an arresting shot that's a strong exhibition of contrasts. You have the soft, subdued world of circles butting up to a frenzied landscape of sharp angles and pointed lines. It's really unusual and very stunning.

Terrific stuff, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2015
    Very nice!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2015
    Wonderful lighting and juxtaposition of elements... I always like fire escape images... clap.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2015
    This is quite an arresting shot that's a strong exhibition of contrasts. You have the soft, subdued world of circles butting up to a frenzied landscape of sharp angles and pointed lines. It's really unusual and very stunning.

Terrific stuff, my friend.

Tom

Thank you Tom, I always value your comments.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Very nice!
    Thanks Taz!
    Earache wrote: »
    Wonderful lighting and juxtaposition of elements... I always like fire escape images... clap.gif

Thanks Eric. Actually this is an old shot that I found last night, I shot it in Boston in 2010!

BTW I think it is crooked, I had a hard time deciding which lines to follow to straighten it. Thoughts?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2015
    Juano wrote: »

BTW I think it is crooked, I had a hard time deciding which lines to follow to straighten it. Thoughts?

Looks good to me... I think using the bricks and platforms for level reference is the right choice. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited August 28, 2015
    I like this shot a lot, both the juxtaposition and the processing. Well done.

As for straightening, this is the sort of image that will drive you bonkers, as I don't think there's a reliable horizontal or vertical reference. There might be a bit of clockwise tilt, but there is also a stronger vertical perspective distortion, bottom to top. These have opposite effects--the more you correct one, the worse the other becomes. Personally, I would correct the perspective a bit using either the crop tool in PS or the lens correction tool in PS or LR/ACR and not worry about rotation. You could also just leave well enough alone--it's a fine image as is deal.gif.
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2015
    The contrast in this has a lot of visual interest.

Doesn't need to be straight.

For the punctilious, Gotham is NYC, not Boston.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    I like this shot a lot, both the juxtaposition and the processing. Well done.

As for straightening, this is the sort of image that will drive you bonkers, as I don't think there's a reliable horizontal or vertical reference. There might be a bit of clockwise tilt, but there is also a stronger vertical perspective distortion, bottom to top. These have opposite effects--the more you correct one, the worse the other becomes. Personally, I would correct the perspective a bit using either the crop tool in PS or the lens correction tool in PS or LR/ACR and not worry about rotation. You could also just leave well enough alone--it's a fine image as is deal.gif.

Thanks Richard! :D

You're right about the distortion, I will give it a try. As for straightening shots, I always have a hard time understanding perspective and selecting an appropriate reference. Getting better, but I still struggle. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2015
    willard3 wrote: »
    The contrast in this has a lot of visual interest.

Doesn't need to be straight.

For the punctilious, Gotham is NYC, not Boston.

Thanks. I do know that Gotham is NYC, but to me this looks like a scene from a Batman movie...
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    Cristóbal, I really like this shot. I agree it could easily be the background for a Batman movie scene. Very Gotham City looking wall ! I like the post processing on this a lot.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited August 29, 2015
    Cristóbal, I really like this shot. I agree it could easily be the background for a Batman movie scene. Very Gotham City looking wall ! I like the post processing on this a lot.

Thanks, Glad you liked it.