Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    Thanks Denise :)
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • Options
    AndrewvegaphotographyAndrewvegaphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2015
    Nice site, simple and clean. I'd like to suggest you fix the contact page, because it's opening in a new window (tab), in the other side the white blackground in the contact page makes a little difficult to read the textboxes to fill.

I debated with that and agree, removed the new window:)
  • Options
    JkatzphotoJkatzphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2015
    Hey everyone, I used a dark theme, but have customized it to the extent that I'm not even sure what the name of the original theme was.

Please check it out: www.jkatzphoto.com

It is still definitely a work in progress, and I am always looking for ways to improve the UI and overall look and feel, so any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
    Check out my portfolio of landscape photography and my personal favorite shots.

I am also the cofounder of Travelstoked, an adventure photography blog.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited June 20, 2015
    Jkatzphoto wrote: »
    Well done!

Your site has a polished look and does a good job of presenting your work.

I recommend changing the photo used on your contact page since that currently shows the funky default contact photo. You can do that by choosing a profile photo after selecting Edit Profile.

Your blog menu entry opens a new browser tab. I'd prefer to see it stay in the same tab. My usual behavior when a site opens a new tab that I did not request is to close the entire site. I know, I know, that's somewhat severe, but I hate browser clutter.

If I go to the galleries page (http://www.jkatzphoto.com/Galleries) the photo thumbnails are small and muted. Seeing a photo with a haze over it does not entice me to enter the gallery. In addition I would prefer to see large images on that page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2015
    Well done!

Your site has a polished look and does a good job of presenting your work.

I recommend changing the photo used on your contact page since that currently shows the funky default contact photo. You can do that by choosing a profile photo after selecting Edit Profile.

Your blog menu entry opens a new browser tab. I'd prefer to see it stay in the same tab. My usual behavior when a site opens a new tab that I did not request is to close the entire site. I know, I know, that's somewhat severe, but I hate browser clutter.

If I go to the galleries page (http://www.jkatzphoto.com/Galleries) the photo thumbnails are small and muted. Seeing a photo with a haze over it does not entice me to enter the gallery. In addition I would prefer to see large images on that page.

--- Denise
    Jkatzphoto wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I used a dark theme, but have customized it to the extent that I'm not even sure what the name of the original theme was.

It is still definitely a work in progress, and I am always looking for ways to improve the UI and overall look and feel, so any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi Jkatzphoto, I second all denisegoldberg said about your site. You have a wonderful work in your site, really great shots. I've subscribed to your blog, thanks for sharing...
  • Options
    RoderickRoderick Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2015
    Hi
    Wan't some feedback on my Smugmug site pleace.
    It's very very simple because i'm not so into css and other coding.
    The most importan for me is to have a place to show my pictures, and Smugmug works perfect for me.
    Unlike most of the other sites, mine don't start with a slideshow. The reason is that I usually only look at 2 or 3 pictures before I go to the gallery when I look at other sites.

Best regards
    Arnfinn Lie

www.arnfinnlie.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2015
    Roderick wrote: »
    Wan't some feedback on my Smugmug site pleace.
    It's very very simple because i'm not so into css and other coding.
    The most importan for me is to have a place to show my pictures, and Smugmug works perfect for me.
    Unlike most of the other sites, mine don't start with a slideshow. The reason is that I usually only look at 2 or 3 pictures before I go to the gallery when I look at other sites.

Best regards
    Arnfinn Lie

www.arnfinnlie.com
    I like it!

Your site is simple and clean. It allows the viewer to quickly find a gallery that interests them.

The one thing I might suggest adding is a page where you highlight your recent photos. You can easily do this by creating a page and dragging in a multiple photos block with Select from set to recent photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2015
    I like it!

Your site is simple and clean. It allows the viewer to quickly find a gallery that interests them.

The one thing I might suggest adding is a page where you highlight your recent photos. You can easily do this by creating a page and dragging in a multiple photos block with Select from set to recent photos.

--- Denise
    I assume that's what the 'Nye Bilder' page is! :)
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    I assume that's what the 'Nye Bilder' page is! :)
    Ah, missed that... that's what happens when I don't run google translate on the page!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2015
    Ah, missed that... that's what happens when I don't run google translate on the page!

--- Denise
    Fair enough, not everyone speaks every language after all! :D I think in a way it might be useful to have an English home page too if you want to increase appeal of your site to those outside of friends and family. Then you could have an option at the top to switch language. Just a suggestion! Depends who you're aiming your site towards! :D
  • Options
    bjcoolphotobjcoolphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2015
    Appreciate the criticism and anything anyone will share on sales.
    I have been a SMer for some time now, have only made about $230.00 in sales. Slower than a wet week.
    Be interested in comment/criticism on my site, on my image selection and quality (don't be afraid to offend) and how you find sales on SM

I have found clicking a lot of the links on this thread leads to a blank. Hope mine works.

www.brianscantlebury.com

Looking forward to hearing, thanks in advance.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2015
    I have been a SMer for some time now, have only made about $230.00 in sales. Slower than a wet week.
    Be interested in comment/criticism on my site, on my image selection and quality (don't be afraid to offend) and how you find sales on SM

www.brianscantlebury.com
    You have a good start but there are several things you might want to consider changing.

You are allowing access to your Original images on your site. This means that anyone can download a copy for free. While unsolicited sales are likely to be quite low (based on my experience), with Originals available there is no need for anyone to pay for your photos. Set the largest display size in your galleries to anything smaller than Original. You can see my thoughts on this in the first post of the thread ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

I was a bit surprised that your browse menu item shows only your header and welcome text. Did you do something to disable showing your folders and galleries on that page? I would expect clicking browse to allow me to browse through the content on your site.

Your welcome text shows on all of your folder pages. On my large screen monitor I must scroll to see the galleries to click to see your photos. I don't think this is a very inviting entry to your site.

When I looked at your site on my phone the menu is not collapsed. You might want to set Collapse for Mobile to on. You'll find that setting in the options for your menu content element - it's the last option on the Basic tab.

On your home page the folder names only show on hover. I found this a bit disconcerting - I was presenting with a bunch of square images with no idea of what I would see until I took the time to hover over each square. I think at the home page level I would prefer to know immediately the types of images that you have on your site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2015
    I have been clicking around a little bit on your site, bjcoolphoto and a couple of things caught my eye:
    1. The published book side (in the Travel lib) looks pretty messy with the blurb codes on top and pushed to the far left side not to mention some texts that seem to belong nowhere.
    2. You have a New Zealand Photo library and a Travel Photo library...yet the Travel Photo library also contains photos from New Zealand (different ones than the first one). I'd say it would be good to merge both New Zealand libraries into one. If someone "clicks" around and finds something in the first one which they are interested in and then continues on visiting more libraries he or she might not find back to the first NZ library and by that you might miss a customer.
    3. Your Fine-Art folder contains no galleries ;-(
    4. Your Fine-Art folder has a very similar photo to the Macro-folder, so I suspect people would visit one but not both as they might suspect duplicates to start with
    5. You have a travel lib with a photo-book side and a photo-book folder on your home page, again one would be enough to cover both, I think.
    6. From the galleries in the folders I find it difficult to find the way back to open the next gallery (without using the obvious browser-back-button) - so I would rather implement a menu with sub-menues here
    7. Again from the galleries, for people who are not used to breadcrumps it is difficult to find their way to the next gallery
    8. Your horizon in -6163154.jpg is out of balance... the water is running out of the photo giving me wet feet :)

As said I only had a rather brief view at your site - and you've still sold for 229$ more than I did so far :D

Good luck

Lille Ulven
  • Options
    BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2015
    I recently completely re-vamped my smugmug site to go from a dark theme to a lighter one with a white gallery background.

I'd appreciate some feedback on what I have done so far, please: http://www.brianjaphoto.com/

As part of the re-skin I added the drop down to the nav-bar for the "highlights" section and I'm torn on whether it should stay or if it needs to be adjusted. Previously the highlights item just linked to a new page with each of the highlight categories listed.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2015
    BrianJA wrote: »
    I recently completely re-vamped my smugmug site to go from a dark theme to a lighter one with a white gallery background.

I'd appreciate some feedback on what I have done so far, please: http://www.brianjaphoto.com/

As part of the re-skin I added the drop down to the nav-bar for the "highlights" section and I'm torn on whether it should stay or if it needs to be adjusted. Previously the highlights item just linked to a new page with each of the highlight categories listed.
    Overall I like the look of your site.

As for the drop-downs for the highlights section, the interface is inconsistent. Either remove the drop from the highlights menu entry or add a drop to the other menu entries as well.

My personal preference is for a flat menu structure (no drop-downs) but there are many others who prefer the drop-downs.

Have you considered using a profile photo that shows your face? I find it a bit disconcerting to have the photo on your contact page to be essentially a photo of a camera as opposed to a person.

--- Denise
  • Options
    BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, Denise.

As I had said, the dropdown was a new addition and one that I wasn't particularly attached to. I think I added it more because I could than because I thought it was "right". It's gone now.

I had completely forgotten that the contact / profile photo even existed! I threw that one on there years ago because I didn't want it blank and the site was really only being accessed by friends and family. I've just updated it to something else. It's most likely not going to be permanent, but it's certainly better. Good catch!

While I am at it I should probably do a profile/about me page as well, but that will be down the line.

Thank you, again.

-Brian
  • Options
    FlowingLightFlowingLight Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2015
    Would welcome some honest critique of my newly redesigned site...

FlowingLight Photography

Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2015
    Would welcome some honest critique of my newly redesigned site...

FlowingLight Photography
    Overall I like the look of your site.

I recommend taking a look at the site on smaller devices. I think your header is using too much vertical space - I'd prefer to see that space used to show your photos.

Your watermark is drawing my eyes away from your photos. While it may stop folks from stealing your photos it will also stop some from even looking.

--- Denise
  • Options
    FlowingLightFlowingLight Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2015
    Thanks Denise. Yeah, I'm not happy with the watermarks tbh. In the process of trying to make them less obvious :)
  • Options
    cyrax83cyrax83 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2015
    http://adwin.smugmug.com
    Currently a work in progress:
    1. The watermark is temporary till I put in a nicer one on my images in lightroom
    2. Picture descriptions to be updated
    3. Deciding whether to include image comments or not (login requirements suck)
  • Options
    mainelystevemainelysteve Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2015
    Need help with website
    Hello, This is my first time asking this question. I have been using Smugmug Pro for about 1 year. I have not been able to sell my photos. My niche is landscape photography with doing weddings, mostly relatives. I am not that creative of my website and I looking for a major upgrade and I have now have new pictures to add of all 4 seasons of Maine and when visiting relatives going south. I am very weak at marketing and I know that is what it takes to be successful. I have not updated my web site for sometime due to health reason and I ready to get back into it. I have pictures that my friends and relatives like very much. They say I am in wrong profession and I should be taking more pictures. I need to get recognized. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My website is www.mainelystevephotography.com.

Thank you, Steve
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2015
    Hello, This is my first time asking this question. I have been using Smugmug Pro for about 1 year. I have not been able to sell my photos. My niche is landscape photography with doing weddings, mostly relatives. I am not that creative of my website and I looking for a major upgrade and I have now have new pictures to add of all 4 seasons of Maine and when visiting relatives going south. I am very weak at marketing and I know that is what it takes to be successful. I have not updated my web site for sometime due to health reason and I ready to get back into it. I have pictures that my friends and relatives like very much. They say I am in wrong profession and I should be taking more pictures. I need to get recognized. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My website is www.mainelystevephotography.com.

Thank you, Steve
    It is very difficult to sell via an online gallery without a method of driving traffic to your site (and honestly, it's difficult even with traffic).
    Do you have an online presence in addition to your smug site? Do you participate in any forums? Write a blog? Or?

Some general website comments:

Your portfolio menu entries each open on a page showing a single folder. Within each folder is a single gallery. Why would you require 2 clicks to enter a gallery? That's enough to drive me away from the site.

You have chosen not to show the breadcrumb and your galleries do not contain a description. This means that when I am viewing a gallery there is no visible notification of what I am viewing. Either use the breadcrumb or place a title in the gallery description.

How should site viewers find new photos on your site? Have you considered highlighting new galleries or photos?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2015
    cyrax83 wrote: »
    http://adwin.smugmug.com
    Currently a work in progress:
    1. The watermark is temporary till I put in a nicer one on my images in lightroom
    2. Picture descriptions to be updated
    3. Deciding whether to include image comments or not (login requirements suck)
    You have a good start.

Consider not splashing your watermark across the center of the photo. I understand that a watermark on the edge can be easily cropped off - but a watermark across the center of the photo usually drives me away from the site.

I would prefer to see a little bit of empty space around the edge of each page / gallery / folder. I prefer not to see the photos up against the edge of the browser window.

Your contact page is still using the smug stock contact photo. You should replace that image with one of yourself. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230262-how-do-i-update-my-profile-information-.

There is no information about you on the site. Have you considered adding an about page?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2015
    cyrax83 just bear in mind that if you add your watermark already in Lightroom this will get printed on your sold photos too. You could though create a watermark file and upload that to your site and have it used as a watermark for all your photos on your page. That way if photos get sold your customer would not get a print with a watermark all over the print.
  • Options
    cyrax83cyrax83 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2015
    You have a good start.

Consider not splashing your watermark across the center of the photo. I understand that a watermark on the edge can be easily cropped off - but a watermark across the center of the photo usually drives me away from the site.

I would prefer to see a little bit of empty space around the edge of each page / gallery / folder. I prefer not to see the photos up against the edge of the browser window.

Your contact page is still using the smug stock contact photo. You should replace that image with one of yourself. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230262-how-do-i-update-my-profile-information-.

There is no information about you on the site. Have you considered adding an about page?

--- Denise

Thank you so much for your comment.

1. Yep the watermark was temporary. It's now been updated, with a little watermark on the side of the shot :) It's hardcoded into the picture from lightroom as I'm not selling my photos - I only have the "Power" membership. I did consider "Portfolio" but it was quite a bit more expensive and I don't think I have enough photos at the moment to sell.

2. Good point about the white space on the edge of the browser. I'll add some padding. (now added 36 pixels on the sides)

3. Yep I did look into changing the Contact form picture. Will do so. I also agree I do need an "About" page. I am thinking of trying to combine the "About" and "Contact" page somehow on the weekend.
    cyrax83 just bear in mind that if you add your watermark already in Lightroom this will get printed on your sold photos too. You could though create a watermark file and upload that to your site and have it used as a watermark for all your photos on your page. That way if photos get sold your customer would not get a print with a watermark all over the print.

Yep thanks I did think about that! At the moment I don't have the Portfolio membership so no sale functionality. If I ever upgrade to that plan for selling pictures, I'll probably re-upload and take into account the watermark feature :)
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2015
    I've not posted here in a while but want to get back in to the swing of things! I feel my website needs a little work but currently lacking a little direction as to what needs work first.

[url]Http://www.edinburghphotography.com[/url]

Anyway fancy helping me out with some criticisms? :D Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    I've not posted here in a while but want to get back in to the swing of things! I feel my website needs a little work but currently lacking a little direction as to what needs work first.

[url]Http://www.tomfosterphotos.com[/url]

Anyway fancy helping me out with some criticisms?
    Hi Tom -
    I don't have major change ideas for you, just some minor thoughts.

On your bio page, I would remove the list of equipment. I think your work speaks for itself; it doesn't matter what camera and lens you used to shoot the images.

Also on your bio page, this text needs to be altered:
    Being predominantly interested in landscape and city photography, Edinburgh is an amazing base for photography and allows for easy access to a wide variety of photographic locations. Tom set up the popular 'Spectacular Edinburgh' facebook page in 2013 and has shared hundreds of images of Edinburgh and further afield since then.
    Well actually, it's just the first sentence that needs to be changed. The first half of the first sentence is talking about you but the subject in the 2nd half of the sentence is the name of a city.

Your prints tab opens on the Loxley color tab but it doesn't talk about the lab. Instead there is an image that is larger than my current browser size so I need to scroll down to see the button I am supposed to click.

On your prints page, Help! tab you have embedded some mailto links. Are you aware that mailto only works if the computer has a mail client set up? They do nothing if the viewer is only using web mail.

Also on the prints page, Help! tab, why does your viewer need to know about lab color? Isn't that for you as the photographer? From the help page you linked to at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93269:
    Where Do I Indicate My Choice?

...Seller account holders will see the choice in their pro pricing tool, on both the portfolio and gallery level.
    This is personal preference so feel free to ignore it - I don't think that using a background image enhances your site. You've done a good job of pretty much getting it out of the way by using a more solid background for your galleries but I still find it sometimes draws my eyes.

--- Denise
  • Options
    TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2015
    Good SM website example of photography AND video?
    I would like to convert my existing website to SM. I've seen a lot of good examples of photography websites here. Can anyone point me to a good example of a site that does both photography and video? Looking for inspiration.
    Jerry

• Options
    DannysOutdoorPhotographyDannysOutdoorPhotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2015
    New to Smugmug Critique or suggestions welcome
    Smugmug is my first attempt at a professional business website to sell wildlife and landscape photo's. Any Suggestions, critique or Input would be welcomed. Does the site present well? Not sure I am creative enough search optimization, and unconfident with pricing.

https://dannysoutdoorphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2015
    Smugmug is my first attempt at a professional business website to sell wildlife and landscape photo's. Any Suggestions, critique or Input would be welcomed. Does the site present well? Not sure I am creative enough search optimization, and unconfident with pricing.

https://dannysoutdoorphotography.smugmug.com/
    Right now your site looks like a photo sharing site, not a business site.

You are still showing the smugmug header and footer. You should remove the header and change to use the mini-footer.

You do not have a logo or site name shown on any page except the home page. When a viewer is on any other page there is no indication of the site name / owner. I'd recommend including the site name in a header that is repeated on every page.

Your homepage background is a different color than the background on your other pages. It would look more professional if you carried the same color and theme through your site.

Take a look at your site on a large monitor. I know there are many people who are limiting the size of their displayed photos because they are concerned about viewers taking screen shots or using right click save - but do you want people to enjoy viewing your photos? You have limited size to Large. That's almost reasonable on the tablet I am currently using; on a large monitor, that's tiny.

Have you considered adding an about page to let viewers know who you are?

You have chosen to show muted images on your browse page. I may be alone in this but I've never understood covering your photos with a haze. There's nothing on the browse page that convinces me to click to a gallery. What's wrong with using full color on that page?

Why is there so much empty space on the top of your page? Again, I'm looking on a tablet. About half of the vertical space on a maximized browser window is empty.

--- Denise