Landscape photo ops in Southern California?

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited February 19, 2011 in Landscapes
I will be in southern California for a week in March and may have some opportunities to explore the area a bit. (Unfortunately, it is the week before the Catalina workshop.) Any recommendations of places to go with landscape photography in mind?

We have commitments in LA one weekend and in San Diego the next, but thought we might go up to Santa Barbara for a couple of days in between. Would appreciate your recommendations re scenic shoreline, parks, etc. Torrey Pines State Reserve seems like a good option when we are in San Diego, and we will probably do the drive from Santa Barbara to Solvang. Would this be too early in the spring to visit the California Poppy Reserve? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Gretchen

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Leo Carillo State Beach in Malibu is pretty awesome for sunset.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I will be in southern California for a week in March and may have some opportunities to explore the area a bit. (Unfortunately, it is the week before the Catalina workshop.) Any recommendations of places to go with landscape photography in mind?

We have commitments in LA one weekend and in San Diego the next, but thought we might go up to Santa Barbara for a couple of days in between. Would appreciate your recommendations re scenic shoreline, parks, etc. Torrey Pines State Reserve seems like a good option when we are in San Diego, and we will probably do the drive from Santa Barbara to Solvang. Would this be too early in the spring to visit the California Poppy Reserve? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
    Gretchen

If in San Diego, take a trip to Anza-Borrego Desert Park. It's beautiful. From LA, Joshua Tree Park is around 2 hours by car. That is a great place to visit too.

Cheers,
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 14, 2011
    Thank you very much for the suggestions!
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    In San Diego and south Orange County some of my favorite coastal locations are La Jolla Cove (do the Coast Walk Trail), Laguna Beach - especially Crystal Cove State Park, and Corona del Mar, although be warned that the homeowners there are extremely protective and vigilant of the tide pools and will probably stop and question you. Just demonstrate your understanding of the fragile nature of the environment and show respect, I've never had a problem but I've heard of other photographers being asked to leave. And Torrey Pines is gorgeous too.

I definitely agree with the recommendation for Anza-Borrego if you want to head out to the desert, it's another one of my favorite locations.
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    The Poppy Reserve is great, but March may be too early for the peak. The visitor center opens March 10 or 12. I think when we have been out there, it has usually been a little later.

I'm a big fan of Kelso Dunes, but that may be a bit of a drive. It is north of Joshua Tree, east of Barstow.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    OffTopic wrote: »
    In San Diego and south Orange County some of my favorite coastal locations are La Jolla Cove (do the Coast Walk Trail), Laguna Beach - especially Crystal Cove State Park, and Corona del Mar, although be warned that the homeowners there are extremely protective and vigilant of the tide pools and will probably stop and question you. Just demonstrate your understanding of the fragile nature of the environment and show respect, I've never had a problem but I've heard of other photographers being asked to leave. And Torrey Pines is gorgeous too.

I definitely agree with the recommendation for Anza-Borrego if you want to head out to the desert, it's another one of my favorite locations.

La Jolla Cove and Crystal Cove are definite must visits!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • FullHousePhotographyFullHousePhotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2011
    I've just been researching this same thing myself (I will be camping in Leo Carillo area in late March). Down south, La Jolla is a must see! Further north, El Matador State Beach looks very pretty, and the Getty Villa is right on PCH (I think). Further north, there's Pismo, Morro Rock, Hearst Castle, the sea elephant beach, and Piedras Blancas Lighthouse all relatively near each other.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 16, 2011
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. Will factor them in as we solidify our plans!
  • GSWayneGSWayne Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    It will be too early for wildflowers in the Santa Ynez valley (region along the road between SB and Solvang) but the oak covered hills look great this time of year when the grass is green. Loops on the side roads like Armour Ranch to Happy Canyon to Figueroa Mtn, or 154 to Ballard Canyon to 246 would yield some nice ranch and vineyard scenery.
  • cb4photocb4photo Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Crystal Cove is a must.
    Also a very cool tower of some sort in Laguna Beach. Right down the road from Crystal Cove.
    http://www.cb4photo.com/Landscapes/Seascapes/15410590_4WWBL#862287139_E8Unf-FL_0_2

But my first choice would be to take the two hour drive to Joshua Tree.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    GSWayne wrote: »
    It will be too early for wildflowers in the Santa Ynez valley (region along the road between SB and Solvang) but the oak covered hills look great this time of year when the grass is green. Loops on the side roads like Armour Ranch to Happy Canyon to Figueroa Mtn, or 154 to Ballard Canyon to 246 would yield some nice ranch and vineyard scenery.

I absolutely agree...you might miss the wild flowers, but you will see the live oaks well against the grass...it is the kind of scene the arts & crafts painters of th early twentieth century longed for. Ballard Canyon is great.

If you are interested in less wild, more cultivated settings, you could check out the Getty Museum as well as the Huntington Gardens.

If you go to Laguna, and I recommend that you do, then take the time to explore the hills and narrow valleys which rise off the coast. Some very pretty vistas.

If you have time, you could consider going out to Catalina Island.
    edited February 19, 2011
    As we work on whittling down the possibilities to a reasonable itinerary, I just want to thank you all again for your help. It was great to be able to look through some of your photos and see the beauty and/or striking qualities you captured when visiting these areas. I may not be able to capture the beauty of these places to my satisfaction but I will have fun trying and bring home mental snapshots to back up whatever I get digitally. Thanks again!