Multi-Thread Uploading?

SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've seen various discussions on this in various topics. Seems to be of interest to some SM users like myself.

So late last night/early this morning I fire up IE on a new XPe thin client that I just bought, and when I used the built-in SM uploader (the first option--I forgot what it's called), it was uploading THREE images at a time in one dialogue box! I verified using another computer that it was actually uploading all three images, and sure enough it was! I love it!

It was too late so I couldn't experiment whether this was a fluke, an IE thing, just my thin client, or what the case might have been. I'm just curious has anyone else run into this, and if you have, what is your opinion and experience on multi-thread uploading?

Some background on why I need multi-thread uploading. I have three cable modems connected to a Linksys rv016 multi-wan router. This router uses all three connections simultaneously when downloading, but on uploading it cannot span one transfer across multiple connections. The only way to make it use all three connections is to start three independent uploads. A multi-thread uploader would do this automatically.
Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    SamirD wrote:
    I've seen various discussions on this in various topics. Seems to be of interest to some SM users like myself.

So late last night/early this morning I fire up IE on a new XPe thin client that I just bought, and when I used the built-in SM uploader (the first option--I forgot what it's called), it was uploading THREE images at a time in one dialogue box! I verified using another computer that it was actually uploading all three images, and sure enough it was! I love it!

It was too late so I couldn't experiment whether this was a fluke, an IE thing, just my thin client, or what the case might have been. I'm just curious has anyone else run into this, and if you have, what is your opinion and experience on multi-thread uploading?

Some background on why I need multi-thread uploading. I have three cable modems connected to a Linksys rv016 multi-wan router. This router uses all three connections simultaneously when downloading, but on uploading it cannot span one transfer across multiple connections. The only way to make it use all three connections is to start three independent uploads. A multi-thread uploader would do this automatically.

The Star Explorer uploader can also do multi-threaded uploads (two at a time).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    The Star Explorer uploader can also do multi-threaded uploads (two at a time).
    Hmmm...I guess I need to update my copy and check it out.

But two threads isn't enough for me. With three modems, I need a minimum of three threads. I usually run about 5-6 concurrent uploads to make sure the bandwidth stays saturated, but it would be easier to have something just do that for me. :D
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    SamirD wrote:
    Hmmm...I guess I need to update my copy and check it out.

But two threads isn't enough for me. With three modems, I need a minimum of three threads. I usually run about 5-6 concurrent uploads to make sure the bandwidth stays saturated, but it would be easier to have something just do that for me. :D

When Nikolai gets back from the dgrin shootout, you can ask him about more than two. I think he did two threads not for your situation, but so that bandwidth stayed saturated on one connection even when waiting for responses from Smugmug during the upload. There's a preference that enables the second thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    SamirD wrote:
    I have three cable modems connected to a Linksys rv016 multi-wan router. This router uses all three connections simultaneously when downloading, but on uploading it cannot span one transfer across multiple connections.

Three cables modems? Fascinating...I've thought about bonding a DSL line into the mix with my cable modem, but I assumed that multiple cable modems wouldn't give me any speed increase because the bandwidth coming into my home would already be capped out...but now that I think about it some more, since they offer a 25 Mbps cable model option, they're obviously capping me at 10 mbps now...how very interesting this is. :D
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
    edited September 28, 2007
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    Three cables modems? Fascinating...I've thought about bonding a DSL line into the mix with my cable modem, but I assumed that multiple cable modems wouldn't give me any speed increase because the bandwidth coming into my home would already be capped out...but now that I think about it some more, since they offer a 25 Mbps cable model option, they're obviously capping me at 10 mbps now...how very interesting this is. :D
    It's definitely a completely new way of computing with this type of speed. I've connected to my own server and did a multithreaded ftp downloaded at 1.2MB/sec. I downloaded 128MB in <10 seconds! The rotate image populates almost instantly and the images simultaneously pop up from all over since each image load can be it's own thread.

But for me, the most important part is the uploading. With the fastest Internet access available at only 8Mb with an upload of only 384k, I needed more to be able to transfer the sometimes 2GB of images I shoot in a day by the next morning. This was the only solution, and it works quite well, even when I have to manually start five upload sessions.
    edited June 14, 2008
    I know this is an old topic, but one that may garner more attention now, especially with the new ability to upload video files, which can be quite large. Any opinions?

My cable modem speeds have been updated to 8mb+/768k, but even with these speeds, bandwidth saturation is an issue when uploading a mixed batch of photos and videos.
    edited June 17, 2008
    I just noticed that the javascript uploader will do two streams on a single file. I'm uploading a single video file and it is using two of my cable modems simultaneously.
  • mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    SamirD wrote:
    I just noticed that the javascript uploader will do two streams on a single file. I'm uploading a single video file and it is using two of my cable modems simultaneously.

Anybody out there have FIOS? What's been your experiencing uploading to Smugmug using it?

Mike.
    edited June 17, 2008
    SamirD wrote:
    Scratch that...one of those was a VPN file copy I forgot was running. :( It was only using one of the modems.
    edited June 17, 2008
    Anybody out there have FIOS? What's been your experiencing uploading to Smugmug using it?

Mike.
    What is FIOS?
  • mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    SamirD wrote:
    What is FIOS?

http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS

Fiber to the Home, from Verizon. Very, very fast. Available in the town over from me, I even considered moving. :-)

Mike.
    edited June 24, 2008
    http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS

Fiber to the Home, from Verizon. Very, very fast. Available in the town over from me, I even considered moving. :-)

Mike.
    Some pretty great speeds for the price. I'm paying about $250/mo for three 8mb/768k cable modems and a phone line. That gets me about 25mb/2mb when used with my linksys rv016 router. Seems like similar FIOS service would be only about $55/mo if I could get it. eek7.gif

FIOS has got to scream. I've used local university connections when initially uploading a lot of my pictures. I was hitting almost 1 meg/second through their connection. thumb.gif