African Safari in North America Global Wildlife Center, Folsom Louisiana

Every Miles A MemoryEvery Miles A Memory Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited May 2, 2009 in Wildlife
My wife and I recently visited the Global Wildlife Center in Folsom Louisiana and were amazed with what we found. Only an hour out of downtown New Orleans you hav a 900 acre ranch that is home to North Americas largest free roaming preserve.

The Global Wildlife Center has over 4000 exotic and endangerd animals and has species of deer and antelope that I've never even heard of before.

For photographers, this has to be the best kept secret around and you can rent a private Pinzgauer Tour that is perfect to photograph out of. They also offer a standard wagon tour, but the private tour is the way to go for wildlife photographers and the 4x4 will bring you right up to many animals that wont come near the wagon tours.

Ok, enough talk, here are some pictures to back up all my boasting of the place.

525776430_2BMQx-L-1.jpg
Beautiful Lines on a Eland, also known as a Taurotragus Oryx - Shot with a Canon 5D - 400f/2.8 - 180th @ f/5.6

525768450_QrwP7-L-1.jpg
East African Crowned Crane Struting Its Stuff
Canon 5D - 400f/2.8 1/2000 @ f/5.6

525950065_o48d8-L-1.jpg
Having a Baby Giraffe Clean the Front of my wifes Lens
Canon 5D - 28-300L 1/350 @ f/5.6

525940204_mLFdp-L-1.jpg
Group of Father David Deer also known as Pere David Deer - Great Story behind this species that you can read about on our Review Page This entire species was saved from extinction by Father Pere David when he found the deer hidden in a secret Emperors Reserve in China in the late 1800's.

This is one of my wifes shots of a mother Kangaroo with her Joey hanging out the pouch
525887802_8Qrci-L-1.jpg
Canon 30D - 400f/2.8 - 1/2000 @ f/2.8

526044809_YgPcV-L-1.jpg
Does this shot not just scream African Safari?

Like I said, the floor of the Pinzgauer is perfect for shooting photography out of. You can keep everything right at your feet and available within arms reach

525924580_esRtq-L-1.jpg

Thought I'd leave you with a humorous shot to put a smile on your face!

525777048_qtfGH-L-1.jpg
Watusi Cow which is said to have a 15" long tongue!!!!

The rest of the gallery can be seen here. Again, this is an amazing place to visit and photograph and right within driving distance of New Orleans. Think, you can be on an African Safari during the afternoon, and sipping a Abita beer on Bourbon street looking through your images an hour later! That my friends sounds like the best of both worlds!
Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.patbonishphotography.com

All Who Wander Are Not Lost

Comments

• pardespardes Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    What an exciting trip that must have been! I loved the gallery shots.
    "A photograph is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Great series. Those sorts of parks are so fun. I especially like the zebra image and the crowned crane.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Excellent captures and it looks like a great palce to visit. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Every Miles A MemoryEvery Miles A Memory Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Thanks for the comments!! It's a blast and if you're into Exotic wildlife, it sure beats the cost of a trip to Africa.

I wish I could hav gotten more of the crane, but he/she wasnt too keen of the Canon 400mm. The guide told me it must be freaked out by the lens, because it normally would walk right up to the Pinzgauer.

Oh well, at least I got that shot
    Pat Bonish
    www.everymilesamemory.com
    www.patbonishphotography.com

All Who Wander Are Not Lost