Product shot for CC please

imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

Borrowed a friend's light tent to try out my sb600 and new Vivitar 285hv with the gadget infin triggers (my new strobist setup!!). I wanted a nice shot as I'm selling an old mp3 watch I've had lying around for ages and this is what I came up with.

In the first shot you can see it's a bit too dark at the top of the watch. I wanted it to show the 'mp3' stamped into the metal on there so I held a piece of kitchen foil just above the watch which bounced enough light onto that area. There's a slight blue colour which was the colour of the 'floor' of the light tent. I used a black jumped to prop the watch against which gave me the black.

D200 with Sigma 150, sb600 and viv 285. Shot in manual at 1/250, to knock out the ambient house lights, with the viv lowest power setting and the sb600 about 1/32 for this one I think. Both flashes shot through the white sides of the tent to diffuse the light.

282376351_utE9r-L.jpg

then with the foil
282719111_5DHJE-L.jpg

Then finally I tried lying some foil underneath the watch (shiny side down) and tried a few lighting angles with the SB600 (The vivitar ran out of batteries by this point lol). I added the warm colour in NX

282380167_rwaxG-L.jpg

Would be grateful for any CC as this is the first time I've tried anything like this.

Cheers
Ian

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Like the first 2 shots but suspect they would be better on a lighter background. Think they would also be better if the watch was at angle and the camera was at an angle.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    imonk wrote:
    Hi all,

Borrowed a friend's light tent to try out my sb600 and new Vivitar 285hv with the gadget infin triggers (my new strobist setup!!). I wanted a nice shot as I'm selling an old mp3 watch I've had lying around for ages and this is what I came up with.

In the first shot you can see it's a bit too dark at the top of the watch. I wanted it to show the 'mp3' stamped into the metal on there so I held a piece of kitchen foil just above the watch which bounced enough light onto that area. There's a slight blue colour which was the colour of the 'floor' of the light tent. I used a black jumped to prop the watch against which gave me the black.

D200 with Sigma 150, sb600 and viv 285. Shot in manual at 1/250, to knock out the ambient house lights, with the viv lowest power setting and the sb600 about 1/32 for this one I think. Both flashes shot through the white sides of the tent to diffuse the light.

then with the foil

Then finally I tried lying some foil underneath the watch (shiny side down) and tried a few lighting angles with the SB600 (The vivitar ran out of batteries by this point lol). I added the warm colour in NX

Would be grateful for any CC as this is the first time I've tried anything like this.

Cheers
    Ian

The watch doesn't look clean Ian, and I agree with Brians comment to you.
    I like the second shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I did give the watch a wee clean but it's been in it's box for so long that it really should have a proper polish up. That damned 150 is too sharp for it's own good, it picks up such detail that I can't even see when I look closely!

I had a bit of trouble setting the watch since I didn't have one of those hoop things that new watches come on, but next time I'll try a few different angles :) Also, it's a good idea to try it on white, that's next on the list :)

Thanks alot guys!
    Ian
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    With a light tent I would have expected better lighting on the watch, but your shutter speed of 1/250 makes me think the bulk of your light was from the flash and you probably hand-held the camera. Correct? Most the light seems to be falling on the front of the watch.

If so, I'd recommend two lights outside the tent on both sides. 60W bulbs would be enough. A tri-pod. Aperture priority at f/16 or so. Shutter speed will probably be pretty low, but I think you'll get much more even lighting this way.

The black background was a good idea. It matches the watch face and is a nice tie-in. And black is good against that stainless steel watch band as well. I wouldn't change the background color at all. But, all that black in the frame might throw off the camera's metering.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu