Three Ring

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited June 3, 2010 in Street and Documentary
887636987_VQUkb-XL.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Interesting stuff going on…

…but it's all around the edges!

…also, it seems a bit "soft"; a harder paper, or greater range of tones might be better (IMNSHO)…

So, do you have any more?

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback Wil. Any more of this subject? None worth posting.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Pretty fun capture with s/he sitting on top of the structure in order to eat.
  • gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Patti, the pair on the left does quite connect with the main subject. It looks like the main is looking at the two but is not strong enough. Also the format seems a bit long to me, probably try to cover the full length of the main. BTW, what is Three Ring means?
    Ed
    edited June 2, 2010
    gorally wrote: »
    Patti, the pair on the left does quite connect with the main subject. It looks like the main is looking at the two but is not strong enough. Also the format seems a bit long to me, probably try to cover the full length of the main. BTW, what is Three Ring means?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cover the full length of the main, Ed. Three Ring refers to a circus. These were people in costume walking on stilts at Doors Open Toronto. It reminded me of a behind the scenes look at performers at a circus. I liked his height looking down from his perch, necessitated by his very high stilts. I wished I'd been able to get a better crop of the secondary couple he's watching as she gets ready. I guess it only works for me. mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 2, 2010
    Very close, but it has a couple of problems for me. The faces are too dark on my monitor and I wish you had a little more room on the left edge. I like the interplay of the architecture with the people.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I really like this one, Patty.

I think, however, that you should consider a square crop. It would mean giving up the idea of the stilts as part of the main theme, but for me it would make a much stronger photograph.

I took the liberty of trying it and found that, if you crop from the top to just above the feather in the guy's hat and from the left almost to his back, make a few minor adjustments to placement of the crop, you end up with very pleasing architectural lines which anchor the man on the one side and the couple on the other quite nicely.

The result for me is a very intriguing, somewhat mysterious picture.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Virginia

Email
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'cover the full length of the main, Ed. Three Ring refers to a circus. These were people in costume walking on stilts at Doors Open Toronto. It reminded me of a behind the scenes look at performers at a circus. I liked his height looking down from his perch, necessitated by his very high stilts. I wished I'd been able to get a better crop of the secondary couple he's watching as she gets ready. I guess it only works for me. mwink.gif

Don't care who they are, what they are, or who is connected with whom. The surreal aspects are enough to carry this, though I agree with Wil that a higher contrast paper is in order. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 2, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Very close, but it has a couple of problems for me. The faces are too dark on my monitor and I wish you had a little more room on the left edge. I like the interplay of the architecture with the people.

I agree Richard. I should have shifted the crop to the left a bit. Live and learn. :cry
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I really like this one, Patty.

I think, however, that you should consider a square crop. It would mean giving up the idea of the stilts as part of the main theme, but for me it would make a much stronger photograph.

I took the liberty of trying it and found that, if you crop from the top to just above the feather in the guy's hat and from the left almost to his back, make a few minor adjustments to placement of the crop, you end up with very pleasing architectural lines which anchor the man on the one side and the couple on the other quite nicely.

The result for me is a very intriguing, somewhat mysterious picture.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Virginia

Thanks for weighing in. Here's the crop, based on your description. Is this what you meant Virginia? I was concerned losing the stilts would take away the circus feeling for me but I like the square crop a lot.

stiltedbreaksqcrop.jpg
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Don't care who they are, what they are, or who is connected with whom. The surreal aspects are enough to carry this, though I agree with Wil that a higher contrast paper is in order. rolleyes1.gif

I've replaced the photo with a better exposure ( I hope mwink.gif). I'm glad this works for you.

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 2, 2010
    Much better. thumb.gif
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thanks Richard. Here's another from that shoot

887939423_RUkn5-L.jpg

patti hinton photography
    edited June 2, 2010
    Ahaaaa!

…so you do have more!!!

Mmmmm…

Square crop removing all to right of foot of stilt.

…I like latest version of original, BTW (cropped & tweaked)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    edited June 3, 2010
    Thanks Wil. Virginia was right on.

patti hinton photography
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    It was BD who introduced me (us all) to the joys of the square crop. :D I try not to overuse it, but sometimes it just seems just the right way to let the story (or a story) shine through.

That said, I wouldn't toss the original framing. The picture is really quite wonderfully intriguing and you may see it differently in future. A keeper I think.

Virginia

Email
    edited June 3, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    snip…
    introduced me (us all)
    …snip

Well, most of you! :D

- Wil